Join Early Retirement Today

Shooting in Toronto.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #1

Shooting in Toronto.

CNN has portayed Toronto as Murder Alley, due to the recent rash of gun violence between young Blacks trying to emualte the Gangsta mentality of the US.

Toronto is not like large US Cities, the action is downtown and , for the most part, the city is extremely safe.

Government Housing is where most of the problems occur, invariably it is a Black Youth shooting another Black Youth, generally about drugs.

Social Housing in Canada is generally well maintained and well kept, thsy are not the Hoods portrayed in US media, for the most part the kids have quit school and are bored.

Hand Guns are illegal, these are smuggled in from the US.

Toronto has an efffective population area of almost 6,000,000 people, number of Murders has increased to 71, not exactly huge for a city this size.

The last murder was a young girl caught in the crossfire, she was waiting for a Boxing Day Sale, and this has proven to be the last straw

Those considering visiting the city should not be intimidated by CNN, they just want hype,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Shooting in Toronto.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey buddy, don't blame your black on black crime, murders, shootings, gun problems, drug problems and ghetto-esque housing on the U.S.

We have plenty of that in the U.S., but you can't really cite that as the "cause" for your own city's problems. Many of our public housing facilities in the US are decent places - not like the stereotypes you have seen on CNN or rap videos. Maybe you should get out more often. Try leaving the crime ridden streets of Toronto and actually visit the U.S. for once.

Don't be a U.S. hater. I know it's the popular thing to do in the international community.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:41 AM   #3

justin, I have visited most major cities in the US, evry state in the US, I have seen more of your country than most Americans.

The US is the source of the Hand Guns,it is the only source available, the Rap Videous with 50 cents and Tupac are what these kids emulate.

I do blame the US Gangsta culture, we have tried to stop certain groups from performing, the lyrics are non acceptable to us.

And I ain't your buddy.

Oh yeah Justin, maybe you are the one who should get out, have you ever even been to Canada??
Old 12-29-2005, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard
justin, I have visited most major cities in the US, evry state in the US, I have seen more of your country than most Americans.

The US is the source of the Hand Guns,it is the only source available, the Rap Videous with 50 cents and Tupac are what these kids emulate.

I do blame the US Gangsta culture, we have tried to stop certain groups from performing, the lyrics are non acceptable to us.

And I ain't your buddy.

Oh yeah Justin, maybe you are the one who should get out, have you ever even been to Canada??
Every state? You know there are 50, right? Did you include Washington, D.C.? That would make 51. Congrats on that accomplishment.

Yes, I have been to Canada. Not much to see. Thank goodness I didn't get shot by a Black Youth who is a rapper.

And it is "50 cent" not cents. I actually appreciate his cultural contribution to our melting pot.

As to your country's problem of inability to control gun smuggling, might I suggest better/more customs agents and border policing. It's funny how you blame America for your country's failure to control its own citizenry and its inability to control what is being brought in to the country. Perhaps the blame should lay a little closer to home.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

"You can't fight in here.............this is the War Room." from Dr. Strangelove

Old 12-29-2005, 12:52 PM   #6

SteveR,

You don't have a dog in this fight, since we all know, based on stereotypes, that Mormon Country doesn't have any gun-toting Gangsta Rap Black Youths like the rest of the US does.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
SteveR,

You don't have a dog in this fight, since we all know, based on stereotypes, that Mormon Country doesn't have any gun-toting Gangsta Rap Black Youths like the rest of the US does.
We have our own share of LA gangs that moved in here a few years ago. Latino gangs are our main source of killings and violent crime based on the local crime records. I lived in the deep south many years and know first hand about black youth issues so don't think I don't understand where you both are coming from.

I may not have a "dog in the fight" you are having with Howard but it does not mean I don't know first hand about the culture. Being in an ambulance crew gives one some insight you can't get any other way. Ever been shot at while trying to treat a stab wound in the Projects while a group of youths are trying to steal your supplies all at the same time?

Lighten up dude...your blood pressure is going to give you a headache.

Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #8

justin, stupid statement, rated by the UN as the number 1 city in the world and rated by WSJ as having four of the top ten cities in the world.

I have been to all states except the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming and Oregon.

Vancouver is routinely rated as the Number 1 city in the world.

I bet you did not even know that,along with the Yankees, the Blue Jays have been World Seies Champoins 3 years in a row, they were officially awarded this when the strike hit.

I have worn two World Series Rings, Friends associatedwith the Jays , and it was a Canadian who invented Baksetball.

Famous Canadians, Glenn Ford, Mary Pickford, Walt Disney Sr, William Shatner, Lorne Greene, Steve Nash, Larry Walker.

Jacky Robinson first played professional ball with the Montreal Royals.

Your President, Mrs Clinton, has assured our PM she will resolve the gun situation.

Oh yeah, Toronto Knickerbockers, one of the original six first professional Basket ball Teams.

Republican from Colorado wants a fence along the border, I have offered to help him build it.

Favourite US City, Chicago, hands down, Boston is next.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
We have our own share of LA gangs that moved in here a few years ago. Latino gangs are our main source of killings and violent crime based on the local crime records. I lived in the deep south many years and know first hand about black youth issues so don't think I don't understand where you both are coming from.

I may not have a "dog in the fight" you are having with Howard but it does not mean I don't know first hand about the culture. Being in an ambulance crew gives one some insight you can't get any other way. Ever been shot at while trying to treat a stab wound in the Projects while a group of youths are trying to steal your supplies all at the same time?

Lighten up dude...your blood pressure is going to give you a headache.
Dang, Steve, sorry! I was kidding!! I thought my sarcasm was clear enough.

Howard, you win. Toronto is far superior to the city of USA. On behalf of Tupac and 50 centavos, I appologize for the denigration of your Black Youth. And I hope you were kidding about our President, Mrs. Clinton. If she ever gets elected, I may emigrate to Canada! Currently, she is only 1% of 1/2 of our legislative body in the U.S.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #10

I'm sure the crime in Toronto (or any other city) is not as bad as depicted, and I'm equally sure (from experience) that Howards attitude isn't that of the typical Canadian.*
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM   #11

Jpatrick, you obviously missed the dog fight between your President and our PM.

I have many, many friends in the States, I am a little unclear by what you mean, the Hand Gun Origin is on the front pages of all our newspapers, they are not mentioning race, but one group wore Red Bandanas, the other Blue.

50 Cent had shootings at his concert, that is why they tried to stop him from having another.

Tupac was an extremely talented person, he could have really done some wonderful things, his death was most unfortunate.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Dang, Steve, sorry!* I was kidding!!* I thought my sarcasm was clear enough.* **
No problem...

This medium makes it hard to see sarcasm sometimes.

Emoticons help to express that which is missing in this two dimensional space. The 3-D world gives you more cues as to intent.

No harm, no foul.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
This medium makes it hard to see sarcasm sometimes.
My thoughts exactly.