Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Shopping for a New Desk Chair
Old 06-01-2022, 12:11 PM   #1
gone traveling

Shopping for a New Desk Chair

My current desk chair's faux leather is delaminating and flaking off, and the chair also is starting to not hold its height adjustment. I have been looking around for another high back executive chair that would be both comfortable, adjustable for good ergonomics and well made. The reviews on these various chairs that I see on Amazon scare the hell out of me, with too many 1 and 2 star reviews mentioning the chairs falling apart too soon or ending up being uncomfortable after a months use. Even the chairs sold by places like Staples/Office Depot do not have stellar reviews. Any one here have any recommendations for a great high back desk chair?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2022, 12:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve got a 15 year old Aeron chair that’s still wonderful to sit in.

I have replaced two parts over the years:

I replaced the cylinder with a “long stroke” version that lets me position the chair a little higher. Makes it more comfortable for me (long legs).

The other was the caster wheels. I got heavy duty rubber replacements. These work better than the originals.

It’s the most expensive office chair I’ve ever used, but so worth it.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:55 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Go to Herman Miller. You will have to pay, but absolutely worth it IMHO. We got six of their cheaper office chairs for our dining table, and they're great!
Old 06-01-2022, 01:10 PM   #4

I went through the process of finding a new desk chair about three(?) years ago. Like you, I had a "pleather" chair that was peeling and shedding. Like you I found quality options on Amazon and the office supply stores were limited. Most of them are the same Chinese manufacturer with the same components, same assembly instructions but with some minimal cosmetic changes.

I ended up getting a Serta Hannah II executive chair for around $150 at Wayfair.com. I got it in black but there were other color options. A couple of my criteria were a wide seating area and a long seating cushion. Most of the chairs on Amazon and office supply companies failed in this area.

Oh my, I just checked Wayfair's current pricing and it's now $289!! What?! I see I paid $146 for it in November 2019. I also see it's available in several other places for under $200.

I sit in the Serta Hannah II chair for about 5-6 hours a day. I'm 6' 2" and 200 lbs. This chair has held up nicely. One complaint is it now creaks a bit when I rock it, but every chair I've ever had has done that. It's made in China but it had sturdier bolts than my fake leather chair. It's a pretty solid chair.

You can spend a lot of $$ on office chairs but this one hit the sweet spot of price, comfort, and size.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Go to Herman Miller. You will have to pay, but absolutely worth it IMHO.
My son did this, spent about $800 on a chair. It's got adjustable everything and is built like a tank. He's had it about three years and swears by it. I thought of going that route but figured if I got five years out of a $200 chair, I could buy four of them in the next 20 years. And if I got seven or eight years out of one, even better.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:16 PM   #6

During Covid, while spending a week or so at a hotel, I used their office chair which was located in the room. I was surprised how comfortable it was and this quality of chair was part of their offering, especially given the retail price. It was the HumanScale, Liberty model. https://www.humanscale.com/products/...e-chair/custom

I bought it used for $225 delivered from a guy in WI. It was in good shape. I also recommended it for my daughter who purchased the same for her office desk and likes it very much.

For whatever reason, the Amazon reviews, except one, are bad. I would agree with the guy who likes it.

No issue with the Herman Miller brand as I think that is a good choice. But, I would definitely consider the Humanscale and I would look for a used one, since so many offices have closed.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LBYM: I buy all my home office furniture at used office furniture stores that stock high-end products like Herman Miller. Salespeople can guide you to the best quality pieces. The stores I have been in display acres of chairs -- plenty to test. And, really, this is not like getting married. If a chair lasts a few years that's a win. If you hate it after a few months, the financial damage to replace it is minimal.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Go to Herman Miller. You will have to pay, but absolutely worth it IMHO. We got six of their cheaper office chairs for our dining table, and they're great!

Nothing constructive to add* but this sounds like a FIRE fail when you turn your dining room into a conference room!

*except humor for those few that find me funny.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #9

I agree with the Herman Miller Aeron chair. You really do get what you pay for.

Mine served me extremely well in daily use for a quarter century. When it finally croaked I immediately ordered another.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
LBYM: I buy all my home office furniture at used office furniture stores that stock high-end products like Herman Miller. Salespeople can guide you to the best quality pieces. The stores I have been in display acres of chairs -- plenty to test. And, really, this is not like getting married. If a chair lasts a few years that's a win. If you hate it after a few months, the financial damage to replace it is minimal.
i think this is the right idea but when I was looking a couple of years ago, there was little such inventory.

I had shopped Office Depot, Costco, all the local shops abd we had ordered a bunch of samples in my office right before FIRE. Did not love any.

So after a bunch or research I bought the Forbes chair from Zuri furniture. Real leather, found good reviews, and very nice looking. I love the chair.

https://design.zurifurniture.com/modern/office/office-task-chairs/executive-chairs
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i think this is the right idea but when I was looking a couple of years ago, there was little such inventory.

I had shopped Office Depot, Costco, all the local shops abd we had ordered a bunch of samples in my office right before FIRE. Did not love any.

So after a bunch or research I bought the Forbes chair from Zuri furniture. Real leather, found good reviews, and very nice looking. I love the chair. Not the cheapest but it is well made, comfortable and lovely.

https://design.zurifurniture.com/mod...ecutive-chairs
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nobody uses stand desks?

There used to be studies showing that sitting all day was bad.

But standing all day isn't a lot better unless you move often enough.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Nothing constructive to add* but this sounds like a FIRE fail when you turn your dining room into a conference room!

*except humor for those few that find me funny.

I was skeptical of DW's idea too, but it works... (photo from the mfr website)

Old 06-01-2022, 04:00 PM   #14

Years ago slave master employer set a few of us up in different test configurations of office furniture and I got the HM Aeron Chair. I absolutely loved it, and regret not buying one a couple years ago when I had to replace my computer chair at home. Be sure to choose the right size, A, B or C, depending on the size of your butt.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #15

Just bought a Secretlab Titan Evo 2022. Delivery tomorrow. Mint green.

$539
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:11 PM   #16

I bought an Aeron chair. I’ve had low back issues in the past, but no issues sitting in this chair for long periods of time. I’d buy it again without hesitation.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
+1

I got my used Aeron at a place like that for about $450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Nobody uses stand desks?

There used to be studies showing that sitting all day was bad.

But standing all day isn't a lot better unless you move often enough.
I have both a sitting and a standing desk. Triple-monitor desktop computer on the regular corner desk, and the laptop stays on my standing desk when I'm home. The standing desk was only a couple hundred dollars on Amazon.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:55 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Several years ago DW wanted to get me Aeron, but I said no too expensive. They are even more costly now, but hadn't thought about a used office furniture store. Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

So after a bunch or research I bought the Forbes chair from Zuri furniture. Real leather, found good reviews, and very nice looking. I love the chair. Not the cheapest but it is well made, comfortable and lovely.

https://design.zurifurniture.com/mod...ecutive-chairs
Some of those chairs do look nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tightwad View Post
Just bought a Secretlab Titan Evo 2022. Delivery tomorrow. Mint green.

$539
Hadn't thought about a gaming chair, and certainly this one has some solid reviews.

I appreciate everyones input, thank you!
Old 06-02-2022, 08:58 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Several years ago DW wanted to get me Aeron, but I said no too expensive. They are even more costly now, but hadn't thought about a used office furniture store. Good idea ...
Truth be told you will be lucky find an Aeron. They are pretty popular and probably go out as fast as they come in. But in the DFW area there are certain to be plenty of stores to shop and plenty of chairs to try. My favorite place is actually a charity store that gets office furniture donations from several megacorps.

Re Amazon et al, I would avoid those channels. The serious office furniture companies like Herman Miller are targeting corporations that will be repeat customers for years. Longevity and reliability issues will kill them in those markets, so they have to prioritize quality. The vendors on Amazon et al aren't really concerned with developing long-term customer relationships. The customer reviews are a help in evaluating the product but most of those are coming from very recent buyers.
Old 06-02-2022, 09:20 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:

The serious office furniture companies like Herman Miller are targeting corporations that will be repeat customers for years. Longevity and reliability issues will kill them in those markets, so they have to prioritize quality.
Yes, my former mega corp only bought Herman Miller or Steelcase. The other thing with the Aeron however, it's not a high back executive type of chair which does detract it some with me. I like to lean back with cushioned head support.