Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Shopping" or "Errands"
Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
"Shopping" or "Errands"

After many years of marriage I have just come to the realization that the words shopping and errands have much different meaning to men and woman.

From this man's point of view "shopping" means that I have a need for an item, for example a new 14MM socket as mine got stripped due to many uses, and I am going to a store to obtain a replacement.* So I decide to do "shopping" at Wal-Mart and buy a new 14MM socket. I learn that I can not buy a single socket, so I decide to purchase a new socket set which includes the 14MM socket. I grab the socket set and go to the check out counter that has the fewest waiting customers and I'm out of there* in about 10 minutes and head for home.

On the other hand, DW advises me on Saturday AM that she is going out for a little shopping and a "few errands".* She returns 5-6 hours later with several bags of purchases and several new credit card receipts totaling hundreds of dollars.

As you can see DW and I have a different defination of "shopping".*

As for "errands", that is not a term that I can ever recall using, but I equate it to something like going to the post office to mail a package or to the place that you get your car inspected for that little window sticker or to the hardware store to buy some nails to repair the fence.*

Evidently errands and shopping means a diferent thing to the fairer sex and always involves spending a relatively large dollar amount on stuff.

DW and I seem to speak the same language (English) most of the time, however some of the words in that language have had their meaning changed over time and I was not consulted, nor was I ever officially notified, of this costly change.

I no* longer will use the term "shopping" and since "errands" is not a usual part of my regular lexicon, I will continue to not use it.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: "Shopping" or "Errands"
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd

DW and I seem to speak the same language (English) most of the time, however some of the words in that language have had their meaning changed over time and I was not consulted, nor was I ever officially notified, of this costly change.
Now you know how Brits feel about American use of English..............!
Old 06-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Canucks don't understand it either. Truth be known, Americans actually speak American, which includes a number of shortcuts vis-a-vis English.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yep!

You got it right from.

Errands are trips that may require small to medium sized purchases...stamps, car wash, groceries, hardware, lightbulbs, gallon of milk, cleaners, car inspection, ship packages, etc. just about anything that involves picking up, dropping off or standing in line. *

Shopping is a whole different animal. *

With all due respect to our caveperson ancestors:

Men hunt it down, kill it and drag it home.

Women go out, frequently with other women, and spend the day looking for just the right fruit, nut or grub and eventually come home with their "treasures" and then want to describe in detail the previous 8 hours of their "gathering" activities.

Shopping for men is look it up, compare it to similar items, determine the best value, find it, buy it and then enjoy it. *Talking about it is optional. *

The previous statements were sarcasm (mostly). *
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i never cared much for either shopping or errands. i'm too cheap for one and too lazy for the other.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #6

SteveR

You have the same definition of shopping and errands as I. Errands are post office, prescription pickup, gas the car, stop for milk/bread type of purchasing.

Shopping is a whole nuther animal of which I seldom partake. I shop like a man, know what I want, go in, get it, get out as fast as possible, BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't cost me as much, it just doesn't take me as long.

C__

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #7

I agree on the terminology too.

I rarely go shopping, but have errands that I do weekly. Grocery store, Sam's club, Walmart, buying gas are errands. Shopping is searching out that 1 item at different stores until you find the right one.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #8

Seems like it's all semantics.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I agree on the terminology too.

I rarely go shopping, but have errands that I do weekly.* *Grocery store, Sam's club, Walmart, buying gas are errands.* Shopping is searching out that 1 item at different stores until you find the right one.
Agree as well... and DW would too. She does like to do the latter. I prefer to do none of the above.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Semantics or not my second wife was a "professional" shopper. How a person could spend nearly 16+ hours over nearly every weekend "shopping" is beyond me. While I appreciated her desire to save $$, shopping away the weekend was not my idea of a good time. My back problems prevented me from just standing around while she shopped so I usually stayed home and did my own thing while she shopped 'till she nearly dropped.

One down side to all the shopping was finding room for all the "stuff." Hence the larger than normal house with gobs of storage (all full) and "stuff" stuffed into every drawer, closet and cubby hole in the whole house. She also would not throw anything out unless it was clearly worn out or so far out of style that there was no hope of it every coming back again. I am still dealing with the "stuff" she obtained during her shopping expeditions. :

Old 06-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #11

In the last month, I've allowed "shopping" back into my life. I rarely buy unless in the process of shopping something that I truly need is right there in the Good Will or Salvation Army thrift and at a very cheap price.

Two very nice shirts and a beautiful coffee mug $8.50.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Two very nice shirts and a beautiful coffee mug $8.50.
Assuming that the coffee cup was a 50 cent item, ya gotta love those $4 very nice shirts....make um last 10 years and you sir, have 40 cent shirts and that is quite impressive. 8)

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 06-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #13

mickeyd,
One was a brand new Gap longsleeve and the other an Old Navy longsleeve. Both cost about $29 new. And they are very stylish.

The coffee mug is a tall, flourescent yellow Pacific Bell SMART Yellow Pages adware and it weight about 5 pounds. It looks cool.

If I needed pants, there were 20-30 pairs of Docker, Polo, Gap, khakis all brand new, gift that was wrong size?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Good one.

My wifes a native californian and i'm from the east coast. We run into goofy differences in 'terminology' all the time.

By the way, never tell your west coast raised wife that she's "a pretty good ****", a term of moderate endearment in many areas in New England.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #15

I grew up on the West coast and had many of those, thanks.

For the love of all things Holy, are we in the gutter again?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Some of us never leave...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #17

Guess that I am not the typical female shopper. I do not care for shopping. I recently went shopping with relatives at the Potomac Mills Outlet (huge shopping place) and my only purchase was dinner and later a bottle of water. Shopping is just not my thing.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #18

Actually in our family my spouse does more shopping. He goes to yard sales, flea markets, auctions and auto parts stores way too often!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:53 PM   #19

Quote:
not at all! it a whole other language. and you'll find yourself in big trouble when you think you understand it, cuz you never will.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He goes to yard sales, flea markets, auctions
Please advise him that his man-card has been suspended and the committee will be reviewing his case.