Should I Get Custom Irons??

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know we have some golfers out there. I have always had "off-the-rack" cheap closeout iron sets.

In the last 3 years, I met a professional clubmaker that has replaced my woods with custom built hybrid 3,5, and 7 woods. They are awesome, and have helped my game in a significant way.

He wants to build me a custom iron set. He said I am at the point that the scoring clubs (irons) are holding me back. He can build me a set to my specs for my swing for $500-$600. I only need 4-PW, as I have a 7-wood I don't need a 3 iron.

Thoughts??

Thoughts?

I think I paid around $700 for my off the rack, pro series X-16 Callaway irons a few years back. If you are into the game seriously, spend the money and enjoy.

frayne said:
I think I paid around $700 for my off the rack, pro series X-16 Callaway irons a few years back. If you are into the game seriously, spend the money and enjoy.

Biggest problem is time to play. Last summer, I played two rounds with a club pro from one of the local country clubs. The first round, I was hitting the ball all over the place and shot 91. He gave me a few tips, and I went to the range and the next time we played, I shot 83.

His comment? "man if you played more, you could be a single digit handicap"................I think he's looking for some money for lessons............ :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmm...when I first moved to CA I grabbed a $35 used set of clubs at a used sporting goods store just to have something to use at the driving range and a little backyard chipping as I was too dang busy to play but liked smacking a small bucket of balls once in a while. I didnt bring my old collection of clubs with me when I moved...it was a rag tag selection of oddball clubs, some practically antiques, some rather unusual single purpose clubs. I had the weirdest wooden sand wedge you've ever seen.

Later when I had more time, I had an expensive set of custom clubs made. Couldnt hit for **** with them. Ended up going back to using that set of crappy used off the shelf sticks. My game picked up immediately.

Do bear in mind that i'm the sort of golfer that occasionally just picks up his ball and walks to the next tee mumbling "...not worth it..."

Never had any custom made irons. I would go see your local pro and get fitted and have some ordered. Should be able to get a good set in the $500-700 range.

I'd go for it, FinanceDude. It sounds like you've found a good clubmaker/clubfitter and the price sounds reasonable.

But remember, "It ain't the arrows--it's the Indian!" Lee Trevino

Coach

If you only played two rounds and shot a 91 and 83 you need to spend some money and enjoy the game. I have never broke 80 and have been playing for 40+ years. I do have a hole in one plaque, plus witnesses.

It is a great game.

FinanceDude said:
He wants to build me a custom iron set. He said I am at the point that the scoring clubs (irons) are holding me back. He can build me a set to my specs for my swing for $500-$600. I only need 4-PW, as I have a 7-wood I don't need a 3 iron.
Thoughts??
I think you should send Jarhead* a PM... and maybe schedule a lesson with him too!

Coach said:
I'd go for it, FinanceDude. It sounds like you've found a good clubmaker/clubfitter and the price sounds reasonable.

But remember, "It ain't the arrows--it's the Indian!" Lee Trevino

Coach

Ain't it the truth!! This year I have committed to becoming more flexible by doing a ton more stretching and getting in overall shape. They have a swing speed monitor at a local golf store, and my driver speed was between 107-112. I usually have no problems with distance, my average drive is about 280 yards............but I throw away a LOT of strokes from 100 yards in................ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

The short game is were you can really lower your score, drive for show and putt for dough they say. Have played with guys in their 80s that were maybe 200 yards off the tee, always straight as an arrow and they could pitch, chip and putt like nobody's business. Needless to say they usually cleaned my clock.

frayne said:
The short game is were you can really lower your score, drive for show and putt for dough they say. Have played with guys in their 80s that were maybe 200 yards off the tee, always straight as an arrow and they could pitch, chip and putt like nobody's business. Needless to say they usually cleaned my clock.

Had that happen in Phoenix. Played at a nice course that was tight. I was spraying my driver all over the place, and when I did find the fairway I was almost 100 yards past them. However, they killed me on the front nine. At the turn, I told my wife I would be right back. I took all my woods and locked them in the trunk of my rental car, and played the back nine teeing off with my 2-iron. SHot 10 strokes lower on the back nine............. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I bought a new set of X18 clones from pinemeadowgolf.com. $200 for 3-PW, graphite shafts. Similar deal on Titanium driver and woods. I love the clubs but then I am new to golf so how am I to judge the quality. Friends who are much better than me have tried the clubs and say they are impressed. I don't plan to ever buy a full price set of clubs although I suppose if I was really good and was convinced it would make a difference I might sing a different tune.

frayne said:
I do have a hole in one plaque, plus witnesses.

I shot one once too. Par 3 hole on a muni course in a heavily industrial area with an airport nearby. When I wound up for the drive and started my swing from the tee, an airplane suddenly appeared overhead on its approach to the airport and startled the heck out of me, so I messed up the swing.

The ball went a lot more up than out, hit a high tension power line pole adjacent to the hole and bounced back directly into the cup.

The guy I was playing with and I stood mute for a few seconds, then he said "You should go buy a lottery ticket right now."

My hole in one wasn't as dramatic but I made a horrible swing and sliced my shot, as I bent over to pick my tee out of the ground my buddy said look it's going in the hole. I looked up just in time to see the ball drop out of sight and into the hole. It was a par three 140 yards and I used a seven iron and a Nike ball. The ball is mounted on the plaque as well.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Par three 150 yards, seven iron and a nike ball too.

I think we just found the formula.

I play Nike balls..............:( Never had an ace, but I have destroyed the front lip of the cup a couple times............

I got a 2 on a par 5 that measured 513..........but the USGA doesn't look at those.................... :LOL: :LOL:

I got a hole in one on Father's day five years ago. The wife and kids took me out to play as a dad's day present so they were the witnesses, except none of us saw the ball go in the hole. They were all playing the ladies' tees and were in the carts waiting while I hit. The tees were way off the cart path so they were about 30 yards from where I was teeing off. I saw it was a great shot (a miracle because my best game at the time was a 107). I turned my head while the ball was in the air and shouted "Hey, look at that shot." They didn't hear me.

I turned back just in time to see it hit on the green at the back and bounce toward the cup.

"Hey look at that!" Still being ignored.

Turned back and didn't see the ball on the green.

"HEY! Did that go in?"

"What?"

"MY ball, did it go in the cup?"

"No, you went off the back side. Did you hit your 7? You know you're better with the 7."

Like a doofus I actually believed her. When we got to the green I walked to the back side and was looking for my ball.

"Did you find it?"

"No. Are you sure it went off? Because I think it went in the cup."

"I thought it did. But go look in the cup" She giggled after saying that.

It was there. Damn shot kept me playing really bad golf for years.

Back
Top Bottom