Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Basically I want it there because it is pretty, fits the area well, and I need something on that bare facing wall.
A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror. A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.' But maybe that's just me. After 63 years I have a pretty good idea what I look like already, nothing special.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 03:52 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Why? It's a mirror, it has a function. I already painted the frame with my own designs.

(I avoid Pinterest).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Paint it or turn it into a chalkboard (depending on your style).. turn the mirror glass into something else..Pintrest is your friend ( or so my DW says)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

"A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.'"

OMG I am such a grandma's house person! We even have a living room that is a step lower than the rest of the house. Remember, I am the person who will spend $3200 to renew a pair of 70's chairs.

I agree that a painting, or one of my original pieces of needlework art, would be preferable. We used to hang framed pictures there. Unfortunately, the front of the house faces south. The sun soon destroys everything paper, paint, or fabric that it touches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror. A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.' But maybe that's just me. After 63 years I have a pretty good idea what I look like already, nothing special.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:02 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Yes, that is the basis of my original doubt. For some reason, many people dislike looking at themselves in a mirror, almost like the way people don't like hearing their recorded voice. I am guessing the reflections must be different from people's mental picture of how they look and sound. Even people who don't hate it, can be startled.

So many folks have confirmed this view, that I have decided to hang the mirror somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
. I never questioned why, but I got the impression that they didn't think seeing oneself on their way into the house was a good thing.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, that is the basis of my original doubt. For some reason, many people dislike looking at themselves in a mirror, almost like the way people don't like hearing their recorded voice. I am guessing the reflections must be different from people's mental picture of how they look and sound. Even people who don't hate it, can be startled.

So many folks have confirmed this view, that I have decided to hang the mirror somewhere else.
Good decision. If I walked into your house for the first time and immediately saw myself in a full length mirror, I would (a) be reminded of all my physical shortcomings, (b) think that appearances were very important to you and (c) lose my confidence. I presume that's not how you would want to welcome a visitor. Now if the mirror were somewhere else in the entryway, like behind the front door, I would be happy to check my appearance in it on my way out, after I had gotten to know you better.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I wouldn't do that. We have a mirror in our entry hall but it doesn't face the front door.
I'm indifferent. In our last house we had a nice mirror on the wall to left of the main entry and it seemed fine.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:07 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

LOL that is my exact reaction to excessively tidy houses! I have to force myself to remember they are not really trying to make me feel like a messy person (at least I hope not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
(b) think that appearances were very important to you and (c) lose my confidence. .
Old 08-08-2017, 05:33 AM   #28

I have always had a mirror by the front door to make sure I don't look too scary before heading out (though the mirror is never full length as per DW's request). Nobody has ever commented on it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:39 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

If you just hung it there, I wonder if anyone would really have a reaction to it. You see more in a mirror than just your own reflection--it would add light, too. Many people would just admire the frame. Why not try it? You can always take it down if you don't like it.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:20 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Paint it or turn it into a chalkboard (depending on your style).. turn the mirror glass into something else..Pintrest is your friend ( or so my DW says)
I'm not as strongly against the mirror as some people, I'd say try it and see. But I think a little modification of Tailgate's idea could work well for you. Rather than totally paint it out, or do anything permanent, I could see attaching something that diffuses the light, so you don't see a direct reflection.

Maybe something like hanging lace over it (that makes me think of 'grandmas'), or dried flowers over it, to break up any direct pattern. Or 'painting' the mirror with wax or a thin water soluble paint like we used to use to get frosty Christmas decorations on windows. You'd get some reflection and sense of a mirror, but people wouldn't actually see a direct image of themselves. And it could always be un-done.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
"A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.'"

OMG I am such a grandma's house person! We even have a living room that is a step lower than the rest of the house. Remember, I am the person who will spend $3200 to renew a pair of 70's chairs.

I agree that a painting, or one of my original pieces of needlework art, would be preferable. We used to hang framed pictures there. Unfortunately, the front of the house faces south. The sun soon destroys everything paper, paint, or fabric that it touches.
Wouldn't you get a lot of glare off the mirror as you open the door at certain times of day?
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Should I hang Mirror in front entryway facing door?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:16 AM   #32

Should I hang Mirror in front entryway facing door?

I would like it. One last check to see if my zippers down. But I wouldn't go by me in any decorating / taste sort of situation.
As for the feng shui suggestions:

Don’t hang a mirror so it reflects you within 5 feet of entering your home. This will cause your Chi energy to bounce right back out the door.

http://openspacesfengshui.com/feng-s...dos-and-donts/
Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror.
I love your ideas - - actually they sound like my whole house!! I love paintings, sculptures, and stuff like that (nothing of great value to anyone except me). I have a lot of marble and/or carved small occasional tables and pedestals too, to display things. I would imagine that coming into my house, some people would feel like they were entering the 19th century but hey, it's my house not theirs.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:23 PM   #34

By force of habit, I avoid mirrors. I'd be turned off if I entered a home and was immediately confronted by one. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen this before, and the answer is no. I do have a full length mirror on the inside door in the coat closet near the entry. That's pretty typical for the houses around here and quite practical.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Don’t hang a mirror so it reflects you within 5 feet of entering your home.
"Velcome to Transylvania.....my name is Count.."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
front entryway, home decoration, mirror