Should I hang Mirror in front entryway facing door?

I wouldn't do that. We have a mirror in our entry hall but it doesn't face the front door.

I'm indifferent. In our last house we had a nice mirror on the wall to left of the main entry and it seemed fine.

LOL that is my exact reaction to excessively tidy houses! I have to force myself to remember they are not really trying to make me feel like a messy person (at least I hope not).

(b) think that appearances were very important to you and (c) lose my confidence. .

I have always had a mirror by the front door to make sure I don't look too scary before heading out (though the mirror is never full length as per DW's request). Nobody has ever commented on it.

If you just hung it there, I wonder if anyone would really have a reaction to it. You see more in a mirror than just your own reflection--it would add light, too. Many people would just admire the frame. Why not try it? You can always take it down if you don't like it.

Paint it or turn it into a chalkboard (depending on your style).. turn the mirror glass into something else..Pintrest is your friend ( or so my DW says)

I'm not as strongly against the mirror as some people, I'd say try it and see. But I think a little modification of Tailgate's idea could work well for you. Rather than totally paint it out, or do anything permanent, I could see attaching something that diffuses the light, so you don't see a direct reflection.

Maybe something like hanging lace over it (that makes me think of 'grandmas'), or dried flowers over it, to break up any direct pattern. Or 'painting' the mirror with wax or a thin water soluble paint like we used to use to get frosty Christmas decorations on windows. You'd get some reflection and sense of a mirror, but people wouldn't actually see a direct image of themselves. And it could always be un-done.

-ERD50

"A mirror sounds like 'grandma's house.'"

OMG I am such a grandma's house person! We even have a living room that is a step lower than the rest of the house. Remember, I am the person who will spend $3200 to renew a pair of 70's chairs.

I agree that a painting, or one of my original pieces of needlework art, would be preferable. We used to hang framed pictures there. Unfortunately, the front of the house faces south. The sun soon destroys everything paper, paint, or fabric that it touches.

Wouldn't you get a lot of glare off the mirror as you open the door at certain times of day?

Last edited:
A painting/print, or a sculpture OR (silk) flowers on a small, tall table/pedestal would make more of an impression on me than a mirror.
I love your ideas - - actually they sound like my whole house!! :ROFLMAO: I love paintings, sculptures, and stuff like that (nothing of great value to anyone except me). I have a lot of marble and/or carved small occasional tables and pedestals too, to display things. I would imagine that coming into my house, some people would feel like they were entering the 19th century but hey, it's my house not theirs.

By force of habit, I avoid mirrors. I'd be turned off if I entered a home and was immediately confronted by one. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen this before, and the answer is no. I do have a full length mirror on the inside door in the coat closet near the entry. That's pretty typical for the houses around here and quite practical.

Back
Top Bottom