Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #161
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you got what you wanted (but what color did you get? ).

How much do you think your electric costs have been for the car?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Dear Bestwife,

I bought a white one with tan leather interior. It uses 10 kwh each night to get fully charged up. A fully charged battery gives me 38 miles of driving the next day. Since I always charge my car after 10 p.m., the cost per kwh in my town is 6 cents, so I pay 60 cents in electricity each day to drive 38 miles. If I were to plug my car in during peak hours, the cost per kwh goes up to 16 cents which would mean $1.60 to drive 38 miles. Thank you for being happy for my purchase.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
For the record, after reading everyone's comments and test driving a Volt, I made up my mind and bought a 2012 Volt right before Thanksgiving. To date, I have only had to put 4 gallons of gas in the tank to replenish it.
Congratulations on your new car! We want pictures!!!

One question - what does the owner's manual say about the need to 'exercise' the gas engine? I'd be concerned you are using it so infrequently the gas in your tank could go bad. (I know, there's always something...)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #164
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dear Bestwife,

I bought a white one with tan leather interior. It uses 10 kwh each night to get fully charged up. A fully charged battery gives me 38 miles of driving the next day. Since I always charge my car after 10 p.m., the cost per kwh in my town is 6 cents, so I pay 60 cents in electricity each day to drive 38 miles. If I were to plug my car in during peak hours, the cost per kwh goes up to 16 cents which would mean $1.60 to drive 38 miles. Thank you for being happy for my purchase.
Thanks for the details re the cost to electrify your driving pleasure. The car sounds pretty!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #165
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One question - what does the owner's manual say about the need to 'exercise' the gas engine? I'd be concerned you are using it so infrequently the gas in your tank could go bad. (I know, there's always something...)
As I understood the computer turns on the engine every so often if it hasn't being started for awhile, so that it works the moving parts.

Congrats on the Volt!

I'm in the market for a car and based on the $1.40 per litre here in Canada which equates to $1.40 X 3.78 litres per U.S. gallon = $5.29 per your gallon, I'm considering the Volt.

I wish there was shorter version of this thread but I guess I'll have to do my own research in time. I still have to get over the price tag though. OUCH!
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #166
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Retire2014,

Congrats on your Chevy Volt!

I had to get a chuckle (in an nice way) after reading that since you bought your car (just after Thanksgiving) that you've only had to put 4 gallons of gas in. The savings should even be better with the upcoming gas price hikes.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

I remember that one year was predicted to be the "Year of the LAN.". It was around 1982, and we laughed about it, because almost no one had a local network. Now almost everyone has it.

Your report convinces me that electric cars will happen, it will just take a little longer than expected.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

REwahoo,

I do kick into gas territory at least every other day if I go grocery shopping or to the gym after work since that would end up being over 38 miles RT. So at least every other day, I drive on gas for about 1 mile or two. According to my understanding of how the Volt works, this should be sufficient to keep the gas "fresh" ---

If you worry about the battery fires, don't. That was weeks later when the vehicle used in the severe crash tests was at the disposal site. I understand that in a real world car crash, the battery would/should have been disposed of safely.

The National Highway Transportation Safety (not sure I got the name correct) finished its investigation of the issue and stated that it found no safety defect or issue and gave the Volt a "5" in safety rating. "5" is the highest/most safe any vehicle can receive. Also, insurance industry voted the Volt the "safest" car or some such. I wish I have the time right now to look up the correct quote/link for you.

Based on my research, the Volt is a safe vehicle. Thank you for your question.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I remember that one year was predicted to be the "Year of the LAN.". It was around 1982, and we laughed about it, because almost no one had a local network. Now almost everyone has it.

Your report convinces me that electric cars will happen, it will just take a little longer than expected.
My prediction is when the Murphy Gas stations at the Wally Worlds have fast charging stations, then electric cars will be mainstream
Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #170

Quote:
REwahoo,

I do kick into gas territory at least every other day if I go grocery shopping or to the gym after work since that would end up being over 38 miles RT. So at least every other day, I drive on gas for about 1 mile or two. According to my understanding of how the Volt works, this should be sufficient to keep the gas "fresh" ---

If you worry about the battery fires, don't.
I don't worry about battery fires, but I do worry whether or not using your gas engine for a mile or two every other day will fare well over the long term. That isn't enough to get the engine up to operating temperature and can leave moisture in the exhaust system and have a few other detrimental effects over time. Might be a good idea to take it for a spin at highway speeds using the gas engine a couple of times a month.

Does your owners manual address this situation?
Old 02-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Rewahoo --I've always tried to cut down on my driving but now knowing that it's good to drive some on the gas engine, I will drive it for pleasure more on the weekends. I volunteer w/ homeless animals, so once or twice a month I can offer to do home checks/home visits to check on the homes of potentioal adopters--- this could end up being much more than my eletricity range. Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. I wouldn't sweat the gas running intervals. Unless you make a real habit of 1 mile gas powered runs, you will never wear out that engine.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Unless you make a real habit of 1 mile gas powered runs, you will never wear out that engine.
I agree she will never wear it out. My concern is more along the lines of having it "gunk up" and become hard to start or run rough due to lack of use (like me, sitting in front of this keyboard.... ).

That's a beautiful car and if it were mine I'd run it a bit more on gas simply to be sure I was taking good care of it.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the record, after reading everyone's comments and test driving a Volt, I made up my mind and bought a 2012 Volt right before Thanksgiving.

Retire 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations on your new Volt! I'm glad you found a car that you really like a lot. It wouldn't be my choice, but to me that is one of the great aspects of living in this country - - we can each choose what makes us happiest and seems like the best deal to us according to what we value.
W2R said it well, so I'll just say +1 to that. But what took you so long to 'own up' to buying one?

A couple questions/comments:

Quote:
EV or not, the nicest, most comfortable, quiet, luxurious ride I've ever had.
Nice, but how does that compare to other cars in the same (pre-subsidy) price range?

Quote:
On the matter of subsidies, I am anti it as well but I think all of us are "paying" the subsidies for many others in so many ways. For example, I have never benefited from the Child Tax Credit, etc. but I've never begrudged parents who have many children who received those tax credits etc.
I guess we feel differently about that then. I don't see any reason I should be forced to transfer my money to someone else because they decided to have more kids than me. That was their choice and they should pay.

Quote:
I do value and respect ALL opinions and comments received. They were all valuable and gave me much to ponder. I absolutely recommend a test drive in a Volt for any doubters not necessarily to evaluate whether or not to purchase an EV
When the non-subsidy price is in the $25K range for something comparable to what I would buy otherwise, then of course I'll take a look.

Quote:
but just to feel really proud of what an American automobile company was able to manufacture. It is quite an accomplishment for GM.
But will they make any money on it? Sometimes doing something just because you can is not a good game plan.

Quote:
I agree she will never wear it out. My concern is more along the lines of having it "gunk up" and become hard to start or run rough due to lack of use (like me, sitting in front of this keyboard.... ).

That's a beautiful car and if it were mine I'd run it a bit more on gas simply to be sure I was taking good care of it.
I'm pretty sure the computer takes care of this. It monitors all sorts of parameters, and I assume if you just had a bunch of short runs, it would go ahead and turn on at start-up until it saw enough 'at temperature' run time.

For years now, some/all of our cars have been subject to a lot of short trips. I still only changed the oil per the regular (not severe) schedule, and never had any oil-related mechanical problems with them. Our new CRV went the full year before the oil life indicator said we should think about changing the oil (they still recc annually).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I understand your point, but if he periodically runs the engine enough to evaporate all the water out of the oil it will be fine. I think the computer exercises the engine enough to keep the other stuff from getting gunked up and sticky.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I understand your point, but if he periodically runs the engine enough to evaporate all the water out of the oil it will be fine. I think the computer exercises the engine enough to keep the other stuff from getting gunked up and sticky.
OK, I give up. Not my car anyhow...
Old 02-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on the new ride Retire2014. All that matters is that you're excited about the purchase, enjoy it!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, I give up. Not my car anyhow...
I'm just trying to trick Retire2014 into ruining it so she will have to buy a new car and support my pension.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #179
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retire2014, I am so happy for your purchase of a Volt and, I appreciate your take on the vehicle overall. I wish I could fit in one but I just have to have a SUV. My knee replacement requires me to need a vehicle where you can sit down and rotate into the car instead of sitting "down" into the car. However,I can't see the money for a hybrid SUV. Not yet!
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #180
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats ER 2014 on your new car.
Don't you miss waiting in line for gas on a hot Friday afternoon with the unwashed masses? NOT.

Pictures! Don't forget.