Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FWIW...
Chevy Volt Sales Plummet as the Electric Car Market Slumps

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #22

You want it, you have the cash, buy it. Hey, this is a guy who bought a $12k motorcycle to ride 3.5 miles to work. On a good day it gets 50 mpg. I didn't buy it because I needed it, not because it made economic sense, but because I wanted it. It's fun.

Sometimes, that's reason enough.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Interesting. I have also read that low sales are due to supply constraints, not lack of demand. This article challenges that. I wonder who's right?

I'd expect initial demand to be high. There is a subset of people who will just want these, whether it makes sense on any level or not ('green' actors will want to be seen in a perceived 'green' car). Those people would buy one without a subsidy. Heh-heh - that's another problem with the subsidies. Why the heck would they (we) offer a subsidy if the demand is greater than the supply? If they are going to offer subsidies, they ought to at least hold a 'reverse auction' for them. Start at $0 until there is an inventory, then raise it by some formula (maybe $100/week, or more based on inventory) so that supply meets demand, with an upper limit (the current $7500?). For cars with real demand, I bet they could get the first 200,000 sold with much less $ incentive than a straight $7,500 per vehicle.

Maybe OP can post back on the availability of the Volt? Are they back-logged, limiting sales?

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Maybe you should wait and really splurge on a Cadillac Converj...

http://nlpc.org/stories/2011/08/12/c...you-kidding-me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartoon_volt_powerplant.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
gone traveling

"Eco-cars" are for those that want to be considered "environmental wussies".

As for me?

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/09/chevrolet-camaro-zl1-created-to-zap-fords-mustang-shelby-gt-500/1

Let the world know you're still alive, while you drive that Chevy!
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've driven the Volt........importantly, it saves time as well as money. It's fun NOT tohave to stop at gas stations. Yes, it costs more up front but our monthly gas bill has decreased by over $250 while our electric bill went up $50.

It's as well built as any Toyota, just drive one and I think you'll agree. Most importantly, however, is drive it 1st and make sure you'll enjoy it. So, if you can afford it, like to drive it and it fits your needs, do it. If it doesn't don't.

All of the automotive magazines give the Volt a fairly good review........you probably have all the info you need to make your decision. Nobody makes a car like the Volt, so, again, do what makes you happy.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:18 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
I've driven the Volt........importantly, it saves time as well as money . . .
I'll give you that the Volt saves on fuel costs (be sure to be prepared to add in costs for taxes--some localities are already figuring out ways to charge EV vehicles for road maintenance). But saving time? How is that? It takes me 5 minutes to pull into the gas station and fill my car with gas, and I can drive 300 miles after that. If I drive 40 miles per day (same as the Volt's electric-only range), then I spend 40 seconds refilling the car for each day's driving, and I only have to think about it every 7.5 days.

It's gotta take at least 30 seconds to plug that car in each night and another 30 seconds to unplug and stow the cord. That's a minute per day. A task to be done twice per day, not once per week. Oh, just making a quick trip to the store after getting home from w*rk? That's another unplug/plug event.

No, it's not a major hassle, but I don't believe it is a timesaver.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len
I've driven the Volt........importantly, it saves time as well as money. It's fun NOT tohave to stop at gas stations. Yes, it costs more up front but our monthly gas bill has decreased by over $250 while our electric bill went up $50.
$2,400 per year net fuel savings is certainly significant (obviously you must drive more than the OP). Since you've driven the car, can you give us a review of how it drives? I'm not in the market at the moment, but I quite like the styling of the Volt. Not sure if the driving experience matches the looks.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:53 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
Hello All---I can afford the 2012 Chevy Volt (electric car); will pay cash for it. My daily roundtrip commute is under 40 miles so I will be within its daily charge and will potentially not need to buy gasoline ever again unless I am making long road trips, etc.

The question is should I treat myself to a new car? I understand that we are, for the most part, on this Forum, a frugal bunch, so I am asking for "approval" from fellow Forum members. I currently drive a 9 year-old Corolla with 100,000 miles on it. My job is secure. I am nearly 4 years away from ER. My mortgage will be paid off in 6 months. I have NO other debt. Everything is on track for ER. Should I splurge and buy the Chevy Volt? I have kept each vehicle that I owned over 11 years and I intend to keep the Chevy Volt even longer since it will be my ER car and will see a lot less mileage on it (When traveling, I tend to use air transportation).

Please share any thoughts, advice that you may have on this topic.

I wish you all a wonderful weekend.

Retire2014
Hi Retire2014,

From reading your post, I have the gut feeling that you want the Volt and since you have the cash ready, I say call it an early ER present to yourself and go for it.

The thought of driving the under 40 miles a day within the charge range and not having to add gas sounds wonderful. Especially with the ability to charge it up at home. Each time gase prices go up, you can say, prepaid with the Volt .

Hopefully not, but if you do buy the Volt and it doesn't turn out as good as you wish, remember you do have an option of trading it in for something else.

Okay..now I'm looking forward to a future personal review of the Volt

When buying a new car, I know it doesn't sound rational, but the dealbreaker is if it make you happy, I say go for it.

Easysurfer
Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
... But saving time? How is that? It takes me 5 minutes to pull into the gas station and fill my car with gas, and I can drive 300 miles after that. If I drive 40 miles per day (same as the Volt's electric-only range), then I spend 40 seconds refilling the car for each day's driving, and I only have to think about it every 7.5 days.

It's gotta take at least 30 seconds to plug that car in each night and another 30 seconds to unplug and stow the cord. That's a minute per day. A task to be done twice per day, not once per week. Oh, just making a quick trip to the store after getting home from w*rk? That's another unplug/plug event.
Not sure about the original poster, but with my EV it takes 10 seconds to grab the plug, open the port and plug it in. Another 10 to unplug it.
When I am pulling into the gas station (when driving our gas burner), it takes me between 5 and 10 minutes depending on traffic. That is inclusive of getting back onto the road. However, when fueling the gas burner, I am generally on my way somewhere and stopping is inconvenient.
In addition, I can't properly express how nice it is to NOT have to fuel up at a gas station in winter. Especially in below zero wind chills

I find, after a bit over a year, charging an EV daily, VASTLY more convenient than refueling a gas burner, even if it is only weekly.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

On the effort involved using the Volt's cord:

The Chevy Volt Plug-In Hybrid: A Smooth Operator | Tech Goes Strong

Seems like it's most convenient to have a garage and a place to hang the cord out of the way for charging each night.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Well, for those tempted to choose the Volt to be "green," I'd pass along the words of a wise man:

Quote:
Beware of altrusim. It is based on self-deception, the root of all evil.

If tempted by something that feels “altruistic” examine your motives and root out that self-deception. Then, if you still want to do it, wallow in it!
- Robert Heinlein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Not sure about the original poster, but with my EV it takes 10 seconds to grab the plug, open the port and plug it in. Another 10 to unplug it.
I'm glad your car makes charging simple. Based on the info at the link provided by easysurfer, plugging/unplugging the Volt is going to take considerably more than 10 seconds. For convenience, I'd prefer one trip to the pump over 15 winding/unwinding/stow the cord/clean my hands events.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #33

To the OP : go for it. Enjoy.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

A charging demo:

Chevy Volt Home Charging Unit to Cost About $2,000 For Equipment and Installation | PluginCars.com

With any car, it comes to what options do you want and what options to leave out?

Sunroof or not, four door or two, charge station or not?

If it was me, I'd say, go with a quick charge station, and carry the 110V cable in the trunk for emergency charging. Pretty cool.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Interesting. I have also read that low sales are due to supply constraints, not lack of demand. This article challenges that. I wonder who's right?
-ERD50
I would trust a source like the Detroit News, not that...... website linked. The Detroit News auto insider is close to the industry (an understatement!), but doesn't hold their punches when needed.

I remember reading at least these two articles:

Autos Insider | GM to boost Volt output to compete with Nissan Leaf | The Detroit News

Autos Insider | GM restarts Volt production | The Detroit News

The GM view of increasing production in the near future sounds like the goal that keeps being stated. I suspect that putting the Volt together is taking longer than thought, or they have a parts supply constraint.

Ford has been supply-limited on drive systems and batteries for the FEH and Fusion Hybrid. In fall of 2009, each Ford dealer usually had ONE FEH on display on their showroom floor, that's it. We did not ask what they would sell it for...
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I almost bought a Nissan Leaf, so I've been looking into EV's a lot. The Volt is a nice car, but since it's still a hybrid, it doesn't have all the advantages of a pure electric.

Since it still has an engine, you still need to do oil changes and similar maintenance. GM is saying that your oil changes could be as far as 2 years apart, but those costs do need to be considered.

If you're using just 120 volt charging, it can take 10 hours to recharge. You may want to consider installing a charging station ($).

Also, check your electric rates. I have a tiered system, so the more I use, the more expensive it gets. A co-worker recently bought a leaf, and the charging not only put him into the highest rates, he also had to pay an extra use penalty. Solar can be a great way to offset that cost.

With your commute, it does sound like it would be an ideal distance for the Volt. Toyota is supposed to come out with a plug-in Prius, but the electric only miles on that are expected to be pretty low, I think the numbers I've seen are 7-15 miles.

I think you need to take a test drive, and do a some more research, but I think they can be a really good option for a car.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I would trust a source like the Detroit News, not that...... website linked. The Detroit News auto insider is close to the industry (an understatement!), but doesn't hold their punches when needed.

I remember reading at least these two articles:

Autos Insider | GM to boost Volt output to compete with Nissan Leaf | The Detroit News

Autos Insider | GM restarts Volt production | The Detroit News
Thanks, those looked like well documented articles. The other seemed to be based on ( a likely biased) reporter calling around to dealers. Unless the GM CEO is just lying through his teeth.

The numbers still seem odd to me.:

Quote:
GM and Nissan should be able to sell every Volt and Leaf they make through at least 2013, ... predicts that Nissan will sell 35,000 Leafs in the U.S. next year and 54,000 the next year. Chevy will sell 35,000 to 50,000 of the Volt in 2012, Hopson said, and 67,000 in 2013.

Last month, GM said it is dropping the base price of the Volt by $1,000 and offering new option packages, colors and sporty wheels as it rolls out the vehicle in all 50 states.

GM said the 2012 base model Volt will cost $39,995, which includes an $850 destination freight charge but excludes tax, title and license fees. The 2011 Volt started at $41,000.
IF GM & Nissan each sell ~ 50,000 a year... wiki says passenger car sales are ~ 5M/year - that is 2 out of every 100 cars sold. I find it tough to accept that a vehicle in that price range and limitations would attract 2% of of sales for several years running.

And why the heck would they lower the price if they can sell every one they make? And why the heck are taxpayers providing a $7,500 incentive to buy one, when they can "sell every Volt and Leaf they make through at least 2013..."? Wouldn't it make more sense to offer the subsidy once demand drops off? Wouldn't that achieve their stated goal of putting more of these on the road? The subsidy runs out after 200,000 vehicles - why not 'preserve' it for when it is 'needed'?

Oh, and about how 'green' these are - an interesting graphic here at SciAm. For most of the country, a 'standard' (non-plug in) hybrid would do more to reduce carbon emissions (yes, read that again - the 'zero pollution' EV and plug-ins create MORE carbon in many cases), and the gasoline savings are pretty marginal when you consider the % of the fleet this will make up. Better to get a 3% improvement on 98% of the fleet than a 100% improvement on 2%:

The Dirty Truth about Plug-in Hybrids, Made Interactive: Scientific American

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
$2,400 per year net fuel savings is certainly significant (obviously you must drive more than the OP). Since you've driven the car, can you give us a review of how it drives? I'm not in the market at the moment, but I quite like the styling of the Volt. Not sure if the driving experience matches the looks.
You really don't have to drive far to save $50 a week......that's only about 12/13 gallons in California......for us it works out around 12,000 miles each year. And......it does drive nice, it's tight, leather interior is comfortable but everyone considering it should drive it. We love it, no more driving 10 extra minutes to Costco for cheaper gas.......and, since we drive less than 40 miles most days, we've only used about 11 gallons of gas in over 4,000 miles.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #39
gone traveling

I say go for it just based on fact it helps the economy
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
Since it still has an engine, you still need to do oil changes and similar maintenance. GM is saying that your oil changes could be as far as 2 years apart, but those costs do need to be considered.
I really have an issue with this comment. All these years, car companies had been preaching change your oil 3,000 miles or 3 months, what comes first. Of course, with newer technology the mileage part has gotten bigger, but now it's 2 years you can wait because it's a hybrid? Somethings's wrong here.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote