Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
I dunno about the cheese, but with the pizza, get a stone! I spent a lot of the last year trying to make homemade pizza in my oven with limited success.

I got one of these a month or two ago, and what a difference!:

Amazon.com: Old Stone Oven 4467 14-Inch by 16-Inch Baking Stone: Kitchen & Dining ....
In conclusion, make more pizza
I make deep dish in a standard cast iron pan (10"?). Pizza goes in the cold pan, and 40 minutes @ 400F finishes it off nicely ( I start at 425F). The pan is not seasoned all that well, but with the oil and some cornmeal the pizza slides out easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We make pizza with just the cheese and egg.
You may like it, but I don't think it is right to call it 'pizza'. Pizza has a dough crust, by definition.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Nice pizza stone but ceramic breaks easy and that could get costly. FWIW I bought 6 - 6" quarry tile at HD for a few cents each and leave them in the oven all the time to bake pizza and bread on. they also keep the oven temperature more stable

Cheers!
I have often wondered if stones like that are really food safe. They could have high lead levels, or who knows what in them.

Quote:
... and I can turn the oven off earlier in the process to save a little more on the electric bill.
This is a common misconception (often applied to portable room heaters). TANSTAAFL. You are not saving energy. Any heat it gives off at the end had to be added at the beginning.

Temperature stability is a valid point though.

-ERD50
Old 11-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Here's the recipe. Whatever you call it, it tastes exactly like pizza, only much better.

Thin and Crispy Pizza Crust
Heat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl thoroughly combine
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)

Then add topping and cook a few more mins
Example of toppings:

This one has the following toppings~

1/4 cup low carb marinara
1 cup Mozzarella cheese
2 links Italian sausage (browned and crumbled)
1/4 cup sliced back olives

PizzaCrust.jpg

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I buy shredded cheese only when on sale, and it goes directly into the freezer when I get home. Doesn't seem to hurt it at all, but then shredded cheeses are typically not the best grades to begin with - most have finely ground wood pulp in them (listed as cellulose among ingredients) to prevent clumping, odd but evidently harmless.
Good source of fiber!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:57 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's the recipe. Whatever you call it, it tastes exactly like pizza, only much better.

Looks interesting, we'll have to try it, thanks.

Depends on exact ingredients, but using low-fat mozz, normal carb marinara and 4 ounces Italian sausage, I get:

Servings24
Calories813407
Total Fat56g28g
Sat Fat27g14g
Cholesterol415mg208mg
Sodium1669mg835mg
Total Carb12g6g
Dietary Fiber1g 
Protein64g32g
Vit A35%18%
Vit C7%3.5%
Calcium132%66%
Iron17%8.5%

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Good source of fiber!
True

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Not specifically mentioned so far: meatball subs. We get the frozen meatballs that come in a bag. Microwave, degrease for the health conscious, smother meatballs in marinara sauce, pile on a bun or sub roll and cover in cheese. Omelet is another good idea.

I am curious how much the costco cheese was per pound? I usually get grated cheese on sale for around $3-3.50 per pound, but in the smaller 8 oz bags (so they stay fresh longer). Sell by dates are usually 4-6 months out on this stuff so it can be stockpiled. Not sure how long it lasts once opened - probably 2 weeks to a month plus depending on cheese type and amount of preservatives.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I have often wondered if stones like that are really food safe. They could have high lead levels, or who knows what in them.

-ERD50
This is the exact reason I decided to buy the $35 pizza stone instead of tiles. I consider it an investment in peace of mind.
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I scramble eggs with a mix of onion, ham and cheese and dump salsa on top. Looks and sounds disgusting but it's really good.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

BTW - anyone here ever make pizza using a convection microwave oven?

I don't have a regular oven in the RV but I'm a pizzaholic so I'd like to try making some on the road.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had to go look at my receipt. It was 11.99 for a 5 lb. bag. So, that's about $2.40 per lb. It says it made from part skim milk. Says it's 100% mozzarella, but does show something added for consistency as another poster mentioned.

I read about having a stone and looked at them on Amazon. Then while I was strolling through Costco about a month ago or more, I saw a really nice large size pizza stone for only $20. Have not used it yet, so can't comment on it.

I also just purchasd a gas grill that has a dome top and a thermometer to gage inside temp. It also comes with a small pizza stone with handle which inserts in the center. Wonder if I would have better luck with trying to cook it in the grill or the oven. The stone that comes with the outside grill is small, while the one I purchased at Costco is larger (large pizza)

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I wondered about the freezing part also.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I had to go look at my receipt. It was 11.99 for a 5 lb. bag. So, that's about $2.40 per lb. It says it made from part skim milk. Says it's 100% mozzarella, but does show something added for consistency as another poster mentioned.
5 lb?!? Holy queso! I thought we eat a lot of cheese but would have a hard time eating that much before it went bad. I guess we could freeze it.

Lasagna will definitely use up a lot of cheese if you like lasagna. When I make my double batch of lasagna at Thanksgiving or Christmas, I usually use ~4 pounds of mozzarella.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post
BTW - anyone here ever make pizza using a convection microwave oven?

I don't have a regular oven in the RV but I'm a pizzaholic so I'd like to try making some on the road.

I don't know about the convection oven, but apparently they can be made in a covered grill with temperature control. Do you have one of those you carry with you in RV?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Heat oven to 450 degrees
In a bowl thoroughly combine
3 eggs
3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp basil
press evenly into Pam sprayed pizza pan or cookie sheet
(this makes one 16 inch pizza crust)
Bake at 450 degrees until golden brown (about 10 to 15 minutes)

Then add topping and cook a few more mins
Example of toppings:

This one has the following toppings~

1/4 cup low carb marinara
1 cup Mozzarella cheese
2 links Italian sausage (browned and crumbled)
1/4 cup sliced back olives

The pizza looks SOOOO good. And it sounds quite easy to make.

Al,

What's in your low carb marinara sauce?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I could go through that much cheese easily, one Packers game should do it....

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's the recipe. Whatever you call it, it tastes exactly like pizza, only much better. ....
I dunno T-Al. Here in the Chicago area we take our pizza very seriously. Fights break out over who makes the 'best' deep dish (and when I put 'Chicago' and 'pizza' in the same paragraph - that means 'deep-dish').

I suppose anything covered with a pizza sauce, pizza spices, pizza toppings, Italian sausage, and moz cheese (you really need some Romano and a sprinkle of Parmesan in there - makes a big difference) will taste like 'pizza'. But the pizza crust is something that pizza aficionados debate more than the 4% WR 'rule' is debated here. Corn-meal, no corn-meal, butter vs oil, bread flour vs regular flour, par-bake, how long to rise, and on and on?

I just made pizza last night, so it may be a while, but I'll make this out of curiosity. While I don't doubt that a mix of eggs and moz can bake up to something tasty, I just can't fathom that it would compare with real pizza dough in texture and taste.

Maybe I'm too much of a purist, but when I make an imitation of something, I call it 'mock'-whatever. For example, I make something akin to a shrimp poor-boy, bit it ain't an authentic NOLA Poor-Boy ( I saute the shrimp, not deep-fried with corn-meal crust), so I don't call it that.

-ERD50
Old 11-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread falls in the category of "modus operandi". We are big Costco shoppers and the cheese falls into one of our regular purchases. When we get home with a big bag of the cheese, DW immediately divides it into many sealable freezer bags and (drum roll please) freezes them. While at Costco we also purchase the frozen pizzas (Primo's thin crust). We use these for evening fill-ins. When DW is too tired to fix a dinner, we will throw in a pizza and she will doctor it up with extra tomatoes and grabs a bag of the shredded cheese. I love these pizzas.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Depends on exact ingredients, but using low-fat mozz, normal carb marinara and 4 ounces Italian sausage, I get:
Those carb numbers are way higher than what I get, probably from the marinara sauce. Also, I'd recommend the full-fat, mozz of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
The pizza looks SOOOO good. And it sounds quite easy to make.

Al,

What's in your low carb marinara sauce?
Here it is. You can even use less tomato paste.

1 6-oz can tomato paste (with no sugar added)
1.3 cup water
.5 cans wine (optional)
1 Tbs oregano leaves
1 Tbs Italian seasoning
.5 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs garlic powder
.25 cup Parmesan (add until desired thickness)

Heat.

Here it is on shiritaki noodles:

SpaghettiDinner.jpg
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #39

Well, I just made my first pizza. It turned out pretty good, but a lot of prep work. (cutting up pepper in tinny pieces, ham in tiny pieces, onions, olives, pineapple) Then there's the dough. That's another story. Need some practice on that one. But my son liked it fine, so I was happy.

Pizza stone worked out good. Have a pizza peel ordered from Amazon. I managed without it last night. Now if I could just have all those toppings already chopped and waiting nicely in a dish for me (you know like the cooking shows of TV) it wouldn't be so bad.

Those overly expensive chopped vegetables in small containers I have seen in the produce section of some grocery stores is looking more interesting to me now.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

When I made normal pizzas, I concluded that using a grating type pizza pan gave better results than my pizza stone.