Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Shredded mozzarella cheese
Old 11-29-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Shredded mozzarella cheese

OK, now that I got this humungous bag of mozzarella cheese from Costco to make a pizza for the very first time - what else can I make with it? I don't think I will be making homemade pizza more than once every two weeks. (depending on my success) Only other thing I have used mozzarella cheese for was when I made chicken or veal Parmesan. (but not shredded mozzarella)

So, for the rest of you not so cooking challenged as I - any ideas? (remember it's shredded)
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I had both kids at home, I bought the large bags of shredded mozzarella too. I always just froze the rest in 1 or 2 cup packages. The only other thing I used it for was lasagna, so it was just easier to freeze.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Baked Ziti !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How big is the bag? I made Chicago-style deep-dish tonight, that takes 12 oz (3/4#). Moz goes fast with those.

Like others said, it should freeze OK.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I did a search at www.allrecipes.com

Have Fun!

Allrecipes - Recipe Search
Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

cheese quesadillas, enchiladas, pizza, mini bagel pizzas, grilled cheese, straight outta the bag, cheese omlettes....I feel like the guy from forest gump
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #7

Lasagna!!!!

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I don't think I will be making homemade pizza more than once every two weeks. (depending on my success)
So, for the rest of you not so cooking challenged as I - any ideas? (remember it's shredded)
I've frozen mozzarella for months, and I've seen it in submarine freezers for longer than that. I can't tell the taste difference, and those who claim to be able to tell should be subjected to a blind(folded) taste test.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've frozen mozzarella for months, and I've seen it in submarine freezers for longer than that. I can't tell the taste difference, and those who claim to be able to tell should be subjected to a blind(folded) taste test.
+1 cheese freezes very well.
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I dunno about the cheese, but with the pizza, get a stone! I spent a lot of the last year trying to make homemade pizza in my oven with limited success.

I got one of these a month or two ago, and what a difference!:

Amazon.com: Old Stone Oven 4467 14-Inch by 16-Inch Baking Stone: Kitchen & Dining

Parchment paper and a peel makes it easier to use, and I am finally getting consistent pizzas that are better than anything I can buy frozen.

Delivery still beats my homemade pizzas, but I get 3000 calories of pizza at home for under $3. The stone is paying for itself. It's also a fun hobby.

In conclusion, make more pizza
pimpmyretirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #11

mozzarella cheeseburgers, cheese hot dogs (w/chili), chili, hot pretzels, subs or sandwiches (make sure you sprinkle on mustard or mayo to help it stick), dips, fried or baked cheese sticks, philly cheese steaks, soups, tacos and cheese fries!
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We make pizza with just the cheese and egg. That is, no flour. It makes good focaccia bread too. I'll post the recipe when I'm on my real computer.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
with the pizza, get a stone!
+1

We have one - it's (virtually) priceless.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Shredding should not matter if its used in a recipe that melts the cheese.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpmyretirement View Post
I dunno about the cheese, but with the pizza, get a stone! I spent a lot of the last year trying to make homemade pizza in my oven with limited success.

I got one of these a month or two ago, and what a difference!:

Amazon.com: Old Stone Oven 4467 14-Inch by 16-Inch Baking Stone: Kitchen & Dining

Nice pizza stone but ceramic breaks easy and that could get costly. FWIW I bought 6 - 6" quarry tile at HD for a few cents each and leave them in the oven all the time to bake pizza and bread on. they also keep the oven temperature more stable and I can turn the oven off earlier in the process to save a little more on the electric bill.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We make pizza with just the cheese and egg. That is, no flour. It makes good focaccia bread too. I'll post the recipe when I'm on my real computer.
Sounds scary T-Al - like a super-cheese omelet. I will watch for this one.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

For an easy healthy meal, combine some cheese and pasta sauce with cooked spaghetti squash.
palomalou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

go all out on pizza, check this guy out

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

Quote:
On most ovens the electronics won't let you go above 500F, about 300 degrees short of what is needed. (Try baking cookies at 75 instead of 375 and see how it goes). The heat is needed to quickly char the crust before it has a chance to dry out and turn into a biscuit. At this temp the pizza takes 2 - 3 min to cook (a diff of only 25F can change the cook time by 50%). It is charred, yet soft. At 500F it takes 20 minutes to get only blond in color and any more time in the oven and it will dry out. I've cook good pizzas at temps under 725F, but never a great one. The cabinet of most ovens is obviously designed for serious heat because the cleaning cycle will top out at over 975 which is the max reading on my Raytec digital infrared thermometer. The outside of the cabinet doesn't even get up to 85F when the oven is at 800 inside. So I clipped off the lock using garden shears so I could run it on the cleaning cycle. I pushed a piece of aluminum foil into the door latch (the door light switch) so that electronics don't think I've broken some rule by opening the door when it thinks it's locked. Brick ovens are domed shaped. Heat rises. There is more heat on top than on the bottom. A brick oven with a floor of 800F might have a ceiling of 1200F or more, just a foot above. This is essential. The top of the pizza is wet and not in direct contact with the stone, so it will cook slower. Therefore, to cook evenly, the top of the oven should be hotter than the stone. To achieve this, I cover the pizza stone top and bottom with loose fitting foil. This keeps it cool as the rest of the oven heats up. When I take a digital read of the stone, I point it at the foil and it actually reads the heat reflected from the top of the oven. When it hits 850, I take the foil off the top with tongs and then read the stone. It's about 700-725. Now I make my pizza. As I prep, the oven will get up to 800Floor, 900+ Top. Perfect for pizza. Different ovens have different heat distributions. I experimented extensively with foil to redistribute the heat. I tried using one layer, multiple layers and I adjusted the amount I used on the top and the bottom. I also played with using the shiny side up or down, etc. Eventually, I worked out a simple system for myself. Some have tried to get high heat using a grill. This can produce high heat, but all from the bottom. One could adjust the differential, by playing games with foil. But an oven with heat from above is better.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
go all out on pizza, check this guy out

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe
Way too much. I am getting mine delivered from the pros.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I buy shredded cheese only when on sale, and it goes directly into the freezer when I get home. Doesn't seem to hurt it at all, but then shredded cheeses are typically not the best grades to begin with - most have finely ground wood pulp in them (listed as cellulose among ingredients) to prevent clumping, odd but evidently harmless.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote