Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was near Chicago the last time Brood X was around. Messy and noisy but it doesn’t last that long. Fortunately we’ve moved and won’t be affected this cycle. I was also in TX as a kid when they arrived, so I’ve experienced cicadas twice that I recall.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2021, 08:09 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I was near Chicago the last time Brood X was around. Messy and noisy but it doesn’t last that long. Fortunately we’ve moved and won’t be affected this cycle. I was also in TX as a kid when they arrived, so I’ve experienced cicadas twice that I recall.
I recall 2 or 3 cycles in my 60 years in the midwest. LOUD!

Thankfully, we don't seem to have anything synonymous here - especially the 17 year emergence. Maybe Coqui frogs which I guess were accidentally introduced locally just a few decades back. They are VERY loud - 90 dB!. They're probably impossible to irradiate, but they can be controlled to an extent with careful and expensive techniques. One thing for certain, you know where they are. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm in the Fl panhandle, while sitting at my computer I had one fly by my head, (I ducked) and it landed on a power cord I have for a light above my chair. I plucked it up and took it outside. This was about 2 weeks ago, I have not seen or heard anymore.
I doubt it was what you thought it was.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...ood-x-map-2021
Old 05-23-2021, 09:05 AM   #24
gone traveling

We get these in Texas that help keep down the Cicada populations. I hate it though when the start to bore into your yard.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef004
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I doubt it was what you thought it was.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...ood-x-map-2021

Yes, it possibly wasn't the 17 year cicada. It sure looked like it from the pictures I looked up at the time. But was some type of cicada none the less.
cicadas of Florida - Tibicen spp., Diceroprocta spp, Cicadetta spp., Neocicada hieroglyphica (Say)

Although the pictures on this page don't look like what I saw. The one I saw had the red eyes and darker body, not green. Clear, but brownish tinted wings.
I shoulda kept it for inspection!

Or maybe it was the 17 year, and it hitched a ride to the beach from the East Coast.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We get these in Texas that help keep down the Cicada populations. I hate it though when the start to bore into your yard.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef004
Sounds like they'd be very good for aerating the soil. You won't need to rent an aerator this year.

We haven't seen or even heard a one yet but we're kind of right on the edge of where the map indicates brood X will emerge. I do remember being inundated with them when we lived closer to D.C.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
We saw very few in our area in 2004. On the other hand, a nephew graduated from law school in DC in 2004, and around the campus we heard lots of cicada noise and saw piles of dead cicadas and cicada shells under many trees.
I lived in the DC area on a couple of different occasions. I think I went through 2 cycles of cicadas. Was a runner then and used to hate the crunching noise under my feet on my daily runs.
Old 05-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

A cicada killer is an impressive wasp to see in action. I love them.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I lived in the DC area on a couple of different occasions. I think I went through 2 cycles of cicadas. Was a runner then and used to hate the crunching noise under my feet on my daily runs.
DW and I got stranded over night in a city a little south of Portland O - rental car breakdown. 10 at night and we were walking to a near by pizza joint. I warned DW not to step in the dog doo all over the sidewalk. THEN, it MOVED. Slugs the size of, well, you know. GOTTA be a lot worse to run on THAT than cicadas. Crunch is way better than squish IMHO but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

We bought our first SFH 35 years ago, and got our pup that same year. The next year was Brood X year, which decimated our new plantings and landscaping. Those little suckers could cut a thin sapling in half there were so many of them slicing into it. But Jake (pup) loved them. He'd go out and pick them right off the tree. We didn't hardly have to feed him for most of a month. I just figured it was the doggie version of an AYCE shrimp joint.

Fast forward 17 years, and the little critters are back. Poor old Jakey was arthritic and couldn't see too well, but he still loved him some cicadas. So we spent a few weeks plucking them off the plants and giving to him. He died a couple months later, but he died fat and happy. Obviously they didn't hurt him. 17 and 1/2 years is a ripe old age for a terrier mutt.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #31

I’m in the mid-Atlantic and haven’t seen any. And it’s been 90 degrees for the past week.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:27 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

And I was in Columbia MD today, probably less than 50-75 miles from south central PA, and there were hundreds of them around. The sound made conversation outside difficult unless you were standing close by. But it's an older community, and the ground hasn't been significantly disturbed in the past 20 (or 40) years. New construction tends to wipe them out.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:15 AM   #33
gone traveling

Oh, we also seem to have a lot of cicadas every year. Not sure the 17 year cycle applies in Texas
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Scientific American has a very good article about cicadas, and has maps for all of the different broods of 17 year cicadas.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...sippi%20Valley.

"Nearly 3,400 species of cicadas exist worldwide. But periodical cicadas that emerge en masse once every 17 or 13 years are unique to the eastern U.S. The 17-year cicadas live in the North, and the 13-year cicadas are found in the South and the Mississippi Valley. The three species of 17-year cicadas—Magicicada septendecim, M. cassinii and M. septendecula—form mixed-species cohorts called broods whose members arise like clockwork on the same schedule."

Here in the DC area, I've been hearing one sound in the morning, beginning 5 days ago. As the day warms up, the noise is joined by different sounds from presumably the other species.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote