sick puppy

Thanks for the support. It gets discouraging at times. You all know 1st hand. I've raised dogs for 30 yrs, so I've been through a lot of this before. It just doesn't get any easier. Seems the 2X daily dose of pred has eased some of the symptoms (she was out chasing possums with Karly in the middle of last night), but I'll have to wait and see what happens at this point.

Thoughts and prayers for you and Lucy. Lost my four legged furry child in 2003 to cancer. It just sucks to go through this. {{hugs}}

Sorry to hear about the downturn, Ronin. :( I've had dogs on pred. for long periods of time, it didn't seem to have much negative effect for them.

I hope things look up soon.

Just a quick update: the pred is the magic potion. She seems to be stabilized on 1 a day after the 2 day moved her back into normality almost immediately. Second toxoplasma test was neg, so she's off the massive antibiotic doses. Doc says we'll keep her on this maintainence level of pred for quite a while until trying to taper her off. So far so good.

Awesome! I am so glad that it is working out!!!

Great News! I'm so glad to hear it Ronin.

Latest...

The pred is not holding her very well, so.... now we're going to add cyclosporin, an immunosuppressant to the mix in hopes of slowing the progress of these symptoms, and tapering her off the pred. She's had some significant muscle wasting on the steroid. Wrangling with the vet's office to get a dosage that doesn't have to be specially compounded to avoid having to administer liquid daily.

Final news, sadly, we had to put our precious little girl down yesterday. Unfortunately, on top of everything else she had developed a nasty case of squamous cell carcinoma on her belly (she was a light skinned sun bather, take note!). After a couple of surgeries, it kept coming roaring back and after having a large lymph gland in her thigh area removed, she couldn't drain the lymph fluid that accumulated in her hind leg. It got bad, and we tried everything. What a super little dog! I miss her so.

Final news, sadly, we had to put our precious little girl down yesterday. Unfortunately, on top of everything else she had developed a nasty case of squamous cell carcinoma on her belly (she was a light skinned sun bather, take note!). After a couple of surgeries, it kept coming roaring back and after having a large lymph gland in her thigh area removed, she couldn't drain the lymph fluid that accumulated in her hind leg. It got bad, and we tried everything. What a super little dog! I miss her so.

I'm very sorry.

I'm sorry too. Very hard to lose a pet.

You did so much for her.

Ha

ronin, I'm so sorry for your loss. As a shelter volunteer, I worked with many pits and pit mixes and discovered what wonderful dogs they are. She was fortunate to share her life with someone who loved her so much and will always be with you in your memories.

So sorry to read this latest update. She was lucky to have you taking care of her.

So sorry for your loss. I hope you can take some comfort from knowing that you did all you could for your pup...and that all dogs go to heaven.

Final news, sadly, we had to put our precious little girl down yesterday. Unfortunately, on top of everything else she had developed a nasty case of squamous cell carcinoma on her belly (she was a light skinned sun bather, take note!). After a couple of surgeries, it kept coming roaring back and after having a large lymph gland in her thigh area removed, she couldn't drain the lymph fluid that accumulated in her hind leg. It got bad, and we tried everything. What a super little dog! I miss her so.[/quote

So sorry to hear about your littel girl. I know the sickening feeling of losing a pet. We lost two about the first of the year and think of them all the time. We have a new little Chihuahua now and still call her by the wrong name from time to time. Hard to get over the last one.

Back
Top Bottom