Join Early Retirement Today

Sick Puppy
Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sick Puppy

I know we have some other dog lovers here, I don't know if we have a vet too.

I have a 9 month old Golden Retriever who is the sweetest dog I've ever know. She's been vomiting since Friday night. We took her to the ER on Sunday where they gave her X-rays, blood tests, IV fluids, and stomach meds.

$800 later they sent her home last night and she's now back in the same condition she was in before. She can't even keep rice down and isn't willing to even drink. I'm leaving work to take her back to her normal vet today. They say it's just gastritis but I've never seen her like this. After all, this dog at 6 months ate an entire can of Heineken (punctured the can, drank the beer, then ate the can) and she was fine.

Anybody have a similar experience?

Here she is back from the ER yesterday when we thought she was better

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #2

I'm sorry to hear this. Since they did blood tests, I would guess they ruled out parvo. There's been an epidemic of sorts around So. Cal lately. Is there any diarrhea, listlessness or other symptoms? The IV probably perked her up temporarily. Man, I hope they get her fixed up soon!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #3

ooooh, that is a very sad face!

Hope the vet has good suggestions...!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Beautiful dog. I hope she recovers quickly. Any dog that enjoys Heineken that much must have good taste, so I'm sure your a good parent.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Beautiful dog. I hope she recovers quickly. Any dog that enjoys Heineken that much must have good taste, so I'm sure your a good parent.
That was a pure accident. I would never give my dog beer intentionally. we had some friends over for a bbq and I was running from the fridge to the smoker and I left the door open. We had a 24 pack of cans in there and apparently helped herself.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Did they consider pancreatitus? My schnauzer has suffered from this for years. She has had acute cases twice in her life and we almost lost her. It causes her to throw up and have the runs....She becomes listless and you know by looking at her that she is hurting. It is brought on by eating fats. Once we got her on her feet last time the vet told me to start giving her two Pepcid AC every day to control the acid in her digestive track. This seems to keep it under control until she gets a hold of something with a lot of fat content. She is a hog and will eat anything so we watch her closely. She is now on a special diet and two Pepcid AC for the rest of her life.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #7

Saluki,

I'm sorry to hear your pup is sick. The vet you went to seemed to have done everything possible to detect the problem. Hopefully your vet will be able to make a diagnosis. I know you are groping for answers but you can only get them at the vet not from us.

Good luck.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am guessing pancreas or liver, but I am not a vet..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #9

She's a beautiful dog, I hope they figure it out quickly.

No suggestions here, just hoping she recovers soon.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #10

Maybe she got into something else -- other than the beer? I have two dogs (a black Lab and a pug/beagle mix) who'll eat/chew anything they can get into. We have to watch them like a hawk.

The Lab once chewed on a highlighter pen and got a part of the clip stuck around one of her furthest back molars. She wouldn't eat or drink for a couple of days and then she started to drool like crazy -- we suspected rabies! -- but the vet found nothing on xrays of her stomach or bloodwork. It was only when the vet did a close hand check of her teeth did she find the piece of the black plastic clip that was getting imbedded in her gums (hence the drooling.) Once it was out, and the dog got on antibiotics for possible infection, she was fine.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a 9 month old Golden Retriever who is the sweetest dog I've ever know. She's been vomiting since Friday night. We took her to the ER on Sunday where they gave her X-rays, blood tests, IV fluids, and stomach meds.

$800 later they sent her home last night and she's now back in the same condition she was in before. She can't even keep rice down and isn't willing to even drink. I'm leaving work to take her back to her normal vet today. They say it's just gastritis but I've never seen her like this. After all, this dog at 6 months ate an entire can of Heineken (punctured the can, drank the beer, then ate the can) and she was fine.

Anybody have a similar experience?
Yes, but it was Budweiser, and I had a stomach ache for a few days.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have a golden retriever as well. Great dogs. I take her on walks at the reservoir 3-4 times a week and she occasionally stumbles on something that she gulps down before I can stop her. Happened just last week. Threw up several times that night but was fine the next morning. Doesn't sound like your problem.

I would call the vet and tell them she is the same shape again. They should be able to pin this down. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #13

Any new info?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #14

Yep, so I was all set to take her back to the vet for more blood tests. So I left work early, come home and expect to find her laying on her bed where I left her.

Instead she comes bolting at me, tail wagging and crashes full speed into the kitchen gate. So I go into the kitchen and she starts jumping like she's on a springboard with all 4 paws off the ground.

I called the vet and asked what to do, and she said to just watch her and feed a bland diet for a couple days. But it looks like it passed. I will spare the details, but not long after I got home the piece of bone that was causing a blockage / irritation did pass.

She's back to being a normal crazy golden puppy!
Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Good news! How about a happy dog picture? I love seeing people's pets.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #16

Great news. We do not have a dog (long story) but we have a bunch of retrievers of every variety her in our neighborhood. Every Saturday and Sunday the owners gather at a large local park and the dogs have a ball. When they arrive they all act like kids running to great each other and just have a great time. That breed of dog has to be one of the friendliest, if not the most friendliest. Good he hear yours is doing fine again.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 PM   #17

That's great news! Happy for you both!

Don't know what it is about Retrievers, but every one I've had has been a chewer/swallower of the strangest things! One ate a 3 pound bag (including most of the plastic bag) of Starburst candies; another ate an entire tomato plant! Gotta watch 'em...and make sure they don't get into chicken or pork bones.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 PM   #18

I'm so glad! Seems odd that the xray didn't show that bone in her gut. Dogs seem constucted to pass some fairly large bones.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear that it all worked out.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every morning before we leave we do a sweep to make sure there is nothing to chew except allowable objects. We have replaced more tv remotes and library books than I can count. Fortunately, no ill effects, but I worry.

Glad to hear all is back to normal.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote