Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-03-2021, 09:24 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think you get what you pay for. All you folks who buy that mass market TP are missing out on the good things in life.

Artisanal Toilet paper is environmentally friendly, multi-cultural and entirely hand-made by our villagers in the hills of Umbria, our reincarnated Goddesses and our Kyrgyzstani spiders.

Or something like that.
You failed to point out that it is also gender neutral, which is increasingly important in today's world.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mine are all prepandemic so I'm still "rolling"
Old 06-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shrinkage is a huge pet peeve for me.

I have a solution: Open a chain of stores with "full size" products. Just like the dollar store gets the manufacturers to make smaller packages so they can sell for a dollar, we get them to make the old size package again, and charge the appropriate price.

I'd shop there. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more. That's just normal inflation. It's trying to deceive us by shrinking the contents of the package which irks me.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:36 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
On the subject of shrinkage, when did the default for ice cream shrink from 1/2 gallon to 1.75 liter? I know it's been awhile now, and had almost forgotten about it being 1/2 gallon, once upon a time. Back then, the container was brick-shaped, where now it's rounded on the corners, and tapers towards the bottom.
1.75 liters?!?!!? My store sells 1.5 quarts in most brands.

Maybe it's a good thing. Considering how much I like ice cream, my health and trim, youthful physic are easier to maintain with the smaller sizes.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:39 AM   #25

Seems to me that product shrinkage is awfully wasteful, and not exactly environmentally friendly. When they make the product slightly smaller, it still might use almost as much packaging. I forget the exact math behind it, but it's the same basic principle, that a 2000 square foot house does not use twice as much material as a 1000 square foot.

And I'm sure it takes just as much energy and effort to produce the product, transport it, and all that other fun stuff. So I'm surprised that there's really any savings at all. And, you're getting a worse ratio of packaging to product. Most of that packaging ends up at the dump, whether they tell you it's recyclable, or not.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
1.75 liters?!?!!? My store sells 1.5 quarts in most brands.

Maybe it's a good thing. Considering how much I like ice cream, my health and trim, youthful physic are easier to maintain with the smaller sizes.
Oops, my goof. Yep, you're right. I just checked the ice cream in my freezer. 1.5 quarts (1.42 L) Dunno where I got 1.75 Liters from. Heck, that's almost a half-gallon, right there! (0.462 I think?)

Usually, our local Shopper's Food Warehouse has one name brand or another on sale, 2 for $5. Or, at worst, it's the store brand, which isn't half bad. But, the last time I got ice cream, they didn't have any on sale. So I just got one. I think it was $3.99.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
My frustration is with the perforation. Seems like none of the sheets tear cleanly. Same with paper towels. I guess they’re too cheap to maintain their cutting equipment?
Try the Presto brand sold on Amazon. I think Amazon owns the brand. They tear great. Better than any others I've ever used.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-...2735668&sr=8-1
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My beef (no pun intended) are hot dogs. The packages of weiners have gone from 12 in a 454 gm (1 pound) pack, to 10 in a 375 gm pack. Since buns are sold in 8's or 12's, you now have either 2 weiners without buns or 2 buns without weiners. Grrrr
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:56 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Shrinkage is a huge pet peeve for me.
I think it would be almost everyone's pet peeve.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Seems odd that the items were are getting are smaller, yet as a country we are getting fatter.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #31

Quote:
I think you get what you pay for. All you folks who buy that mass market TP are missing out on the good things in life.

Artisanal Toilet paper is environmentally friendly, multi-cultural and entirely hand-made by our villagers in the hills of Umbria, our reincarnated Goddesses and our Kyrgyzstani spiders.

Or something like that.

Some funny testimonials on that website.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:28 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Nothing new. Andy Rooney was complaining on 60 minutes about shrinking grocery packages back in the 90's. Candy bars have been shrinking since my Mom was a kid.

Toilet paper holders are too big for the rolls already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masquernom View Post
Just opened a new pack of Charmin toilet paper. The rolls are about 1/2 inch narrower than the last pack we bought. I guess everything is shrinking like the candy bars now.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:06 PM   #33

Shrinkage?

I was in the pool! I was in the pool!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 12:17 PM   #34

Quote:

Or something like that.
Add the word "Artisan" and the price doubles. Hand made toilet paper? If there is one thing that should be factory made, it should be paper. Especially toilet paper.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

The only thing they haven't shrunk is a 12oz beer.

But they have in some cases! There are some 11 oz beer cans! You seen those tall skinny cans? Look close they are only 11 oz. Those skinny cans are mostly the seltzer and other low alcohol type drinks, but some are beer and are only 11 oz.

Who knows, pretty soon the 40 oz bottles will be downsized as well. What will the malt liquor companies do

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
Oops, my goof. Yep, you're right. I just checked the ice cream in my freezer. 1.5 quarts (1.42 L) Dunno where I got 1.75 Liters from. Heck, that's almost a half-gallon, right there! (0.462 I think?)

Usually, our local Shopper's Food Warehouse has one name brand or another on sale, 2 for $5. Or, at worst, it's the store brand, which isn't half bad. But, the last time I got ice cream, they didn't have any on sale. So I just got one. I think it was $3.99.
You point is well made and taken.

Besides the shrinking container for ice cream, the local supermarket no longer carries Dryers Spumoni ice cream. I can get some bright blue and pink ice cream with sprinkles that reminds me of over sweetened bubble gum, but I can't get Spumoni. What is the world coming to?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Shrinkage?

I was in the pool! I was in the pool!
LOL!
And I saw Jane topless.
Old 06-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
+1

The only thing they haven't shrunk is a 12oz beer.
Every once in a while you see the 8 ounce beers for sale, but I think no one buys them. On the good news front, apparently 16 ounce cans are all the rage now, for microbrews anyway. Been seeing a lot of them at my local beer store. Same price as the 12 ouncers! Now way! Yes way!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:27 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Tuna cans. More and more water/oil. Less tuna. It was 6 oz when I was a kid. Now it's just above 4 oz. If I make a salad with veggies and canned tuna, I just drain and put the whole can in the salad.

No wonder we're having trouble getting enough protein in our diet.
Yes, a can of tuna is my inflation bellweather. After the 2008 Wall Street fraud debacle, 6 ounce canned tuna went to 5 ounce, with a slight price bump also, I think. I haven't seen any 4 ounce cans of tuna yet. Who would buy a 4 ounce can of tuna? Come on, 5 ounces is small enough, lol.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
But they have in some cases! There are some 11 oz beer cans! You seen those tall skinny cans? Look close they are only 11 oz. Those skinny cans are mostly the seltzer and other low alcohol type drinks, but some are beer and are only 11 oz.

Who knows, pretty soon the 40 oz bottles will be downsized as well. What will the malt liquor companies do
I used to go to Aruba every so often, and remember they had a native brew called Balashi, that was in an under-sized can. I just looked it up... 11.27 ounces. I forget how big the bottles were, but they were a bit under 12 oz, as well.