Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It appeared that the sellers, who flipped cars for a living, seemed to have no problem with a cash-and-carry transaction being done right in their home. But I was afraid that if they refused to hand over the title after I gave them the cash, what proof would I have that I did pay? Was I too paranoid?
There is one more thing I learned about buying a used car. The 3 fellows I bought from were all car flippers operating out of their homes, and all appeared to be straightforward. But I ran across a couple of sellers who wanted to meet me and do the transaction at the parking lots of convenience stores. It's scary to bring cash to strangers like that, don't you think?
Personally, I think most people know there's far more money to be made from doing their business (flipping cars or contractor work or Craigslist sellers) than from trying to rip you off. They'd rather spend their time doing more deals and making even more money than worrying about situations like that.

Public places, especially Wal-Mart parking lots, tend to be covered by security cameras. In broad daylight with lots of passers-by, and them not knowing whether you'll show up after your taekwondo class or with your good friend Bubba, 6'4" and 250 lbs, nobody is looking to rip you off during a business deal. They just want to get it done and get on with their lives, and they don't really care what you're worried about.

In Hawaii, a very good reason to deal in large wads of cash instead of cashier's checks is that the transaction can't be traced for proper payment of excise tax, and possibly state/federal tax as well. When a contractor quotes $9500 for a concrete job but agrees to take $9000 cash, you can be pretty confident that no one is going to see any of that income reported anywhere. I personally wouldn't risk the hassle of audits and jail time, but that's one of the main reasons why there's a discount for cash.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Seriously, criminals.

It wasn't like they were worried about how to hose off the blood & body parts before they changed their oil...
And if you're lying about the condition -- as in, it overheats over 25 MPH -- well, they know where you live.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After concluding the sale, one of the car flippers who sold to me and who operated out of his house said that he would not screw his buyers. He said there were "crazy buyers" out there and if they got mad after the fact, they knew where he lived! So, that made me a bit leery of buying used cars outside of convenience stores or in parking lots.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:55 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

In the past in Oregon (don't know about now) there was a thriving business in a certain price used car that had current plates and tags good for a nice stretch of time. If one sold such a cheap car, which went with plates and tags, one made sure to report the transaction to DMV, as there was a better than even chance the buyers wouldn't be reporting it or buying the required insurance - or maybe their car had been zebra tagged for drunk driving. or maybe not. Still, lots of ads for cheap cars noted that the tags were good for the next year and a half....

Regarding use of the special pen to check for conterfeit, having received two counterfeit hundreds I can report that some bogus bills are made by washing the ink from one dollar bills and reprinting them as hundreds. Pen says the paper is good money but the bank won't credit your account for $200 - or $2 - and they keep the bogus bills.

The bogus bills felt a bit stiffer, a little crackle-y, didn't have the ribbon saying $100 (nor do some real older hundreds), and the image wasn't really that good once I compared it to real bills in the bank. Was good enough for me to take it as rent money along with several other payments, so I couldn't prove who passed me bad paper, but I did let the person that I suspected know that i suspected he had given me bad bills.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

If you sell a car I would suggest that you do file with your state that it was sold...

Back in '04 I sold my old car.... the guy paid cash... I did get his license number, name, address and phone number...

Six months later I get in the mail a request that I get a new title as he had lost the one I gave him... that is when I found out about the form to remove liability... I then made the guy pay me before I did anything (it costs money to get a new title)... never knew if he registered the title or not...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote