Silly Poll: Lowest US Gas Cost/Gal You've Ever Seen

Lowest USA Gas Price/Gal You've Ever Seen (exclude radio station promotions etc.)?

• less than 10 ¢/gal

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • 10-12 ¢/gal

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • 13-14 ¢/gal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15-16 ¢/gal

• 17-18 ¢/gal

• 19-20 ¢/gal

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • 21-22 ¢/gal

• 23-24 ¢/gal

• 25-26 ¢/gal

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • 27-28 ¢/gal

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 29-30 ¢/gal

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • more than 30 ¢/gal

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Triggered by another thread, this one proves nothing except maybe how old you are and where you grew up.

As a youngster growing up in TX, I remember gas being about 25¢/gal but there were (what my parents called) "gas wars" all the time and I remember seeing 19¢/gal once!

What's the lowest price/gal you've ever seen USA only - please exclude artificially low prices like radio station subsidized, etc.

And looking forward to the first person who tells me their answer wasn't available...there's always someone. :cool:

Last edited:
You people were there when "fossilized fuels" weren't yet fossils! Dang, I've never seen it anywhere near .30c a gallon!

9 cents per gallon in St. Louis in the early or mid 1950's, but only during a "gas war"... at that time, gas stations on the same intersection would try to outdo each other by lowering prices, and the competition was extreme! Usually even during a gas war it didn't get below 10-15 cents per gallon.

I answered 27-28 cents per gallon from around 1972 or early 1973, before the Arab oil embargo and subsequent price spike.

You either remember gas prices before the 1973 oil embargo or you don't. If you don't, it pretty much means you don't remember much below 60 cents.

I don't remember paying attention before then (I was about 8). The lowest I remember was (I think) 56.9 cents.

I remember in the early 50's (in high school) using dad's car for a date and getting 5 gal of gas for $1. Dad was teaching me a lesson back then about the value of a dollar. I was earning money mowing lawns and dad made me use some of it to buy my gas. When I started college in 1954, the folks bought me a car. They made it sound like they were loaning me the money rather than "giving" me the money. I'm talking $200 for a used green Ford with a huge sun visor and black wall tires and no hub caps. In the middle fifties I was buying gas all the time for 18-19 cents a gallon.

1969 had $2 to make back to Baltimore from New Jersey. Filled up with fuel from the marina, made it back with a little blue haze out the back. This was my Woodstock not trip, my GF who was banished to spend the summer with Grandparents couldn't sneak away. I spent 3 weeks living on Grandpa's boat without him finding out. Nights on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant, playing Whiter shade of pale over and over and over, and a side trip to Asbury Park to see the Boss.

USA only? That's no fun, but I do remember my back in the day when it was normal to pull up to the service station and ask for $1.00 worth.

I was born in '79. I think the lowest I can remember(probably late 80's) is around .80/gal.

I bought my first car ('65 Mustang) in 1971 when I was 15. I learned to drive on the way home from buying it. My first fill up was $.219/gallon. My first new clutch (a few weeks later) was significantly more.

$.25 gal (and they cleaned your windshild, and checked your oil) in 1965. Hess gas (which was just starting out, in our area).

Of course at the time i was only making about $1/hr, so what does it really mean?

I remember back around '62 or '63, when I was small that my father almost had a heart attack over a four gas station corner in NC that was having a gas war. We filled up with 9 cent per gal gas.

I would routinely buy gas for $.30 gal in 1972. That didn't last long.

We had a gas station that used to advertise "Our gas is five cents a gallon higher than everyone else's" -- Oh, yeah, they forgot to mention that the attendants were topless college girls. They were in Newburg, NY, across the river from my town. I wasn't driving yet but I would've risked a dollar's worth!

Mike D.

And looking forward to the first person who tells me their answer wasn't available...there's always someone. :cool:

Would hate to disappoint you, so I won't...

My answer wan't available. Seriously.

I recall buying gas for 24.9 cents per gallon. IME, gas stations always include the $0.009.

Your poll jumps (pole jumps?) from 23-24 ¢/gal to 25-26 ¢/gal, so that excludes 24.9 ¢/gal.

Better luck next time. :LOL:

-ERD50

I never paid attention when my Dad bought gas. But I can remember paying $.27 a gallon for high test back in the 60's.

I answered 27-28 cents per gallon from around 1972 or early 1973, before the Arab oil embargo and subsequent price spike.

My answer also. I started driving in '72 and recall gas spiking up to 36 cents and everyone was going nuts saying it would hit $1.

My memory tells me sub .20 when I was a little kid, but looking at this chart may prove my memory wrong:

Vehicle Technologies Program: Fact #364: March 21, 2005 Historical Gas Prices, 1919–2004

Your chart shows that in '71 when I bought gas for $.219 the average national price $.36. Pretty significant difference. I now prices can fluctuate pretty widely, but that's like 35%. I swear I remember buying the gas at that price, but...maybe I need to start taking some tumeric.

When I was a kid in the late 50's I remember it was typically 25-28 cents but when there was a gas war I remember 21 or 23 cents! I also remember getting free drinking glasses and especially Sinclair dinosaurs, a green brontosaurs! From '68 (when I started to drive) to October '73 it was 29 to 32 cents, 33 cents was expensive and I'd look elsewhere. There was a station in town that sold it for 38 cents and I never could understand why anyone would go there but some people did.

I still catch myself avoiding one station and patronising another that has gas a few cents lower. Even a dime lower is only $1.50/fill up, which isn't even half a gallon. I fill up probably ever other week, so 26 fill ups/year is about $40. Less than 1 fill up a year to pull across traffic or go around the block to buy cheaper gas. But the practice is ingrained into my cheap little soul. I don't think I'll ever change.

Actually its an interesting fact that the gas price in 1920 according to a letter written by my grandfather was also about .20/gallon. I recall in 1972 getting to Ca and 22.9 was the price then.

Back
Top Bottom