Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2019, 09:04 AM   #41
gone traveling

Tiger is supposedly a workout fanatic, and could do a ~300 lb bench press. I am not sure if he kept up that type of lifting over the years, but have wondered if that might have contributed to some wear on his body or maybe helped him. After yesterday, maybe the later. Anyway, happy for Tiger and I think its good for golf to see such a dramatic comeback.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Tiger is supposedly a workout fanatic, and could do a ~300 lb bench press. I am not sure if he kept up that type of lifting over the years, but have wondered if that might have contributed to some wear on his body or maybe helped him. After yesterday, maybe the later. Anyway, happy for Tiger and I think its good for golf to see such a dramatic comeback.
Just anecdotal, but after watching Tiger's swing for several tournaments when he first appeared as a pro, my (orthopedic surgeon) Dad repeatedly said Tiger's back would never hold up and his career would be shortened as a result if he continued with that extreme swing. I'm sure many doctors were speculating the same back then.

The golf swing is not a completely natural motion for the back, and it'll result in back problems if not managed well. You can overdo it, but a proper workout, strength training and stretching can benefit anyone who plays golf and protect your back. FWIW

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I've always been a Tiger fan and was glad to see him get his 15th major yesterday. The discussion as to who is the best can go on ad infinitum. The amazing thing about his win yesterday is he beat a field of very talented young guns with a 43 year old body that has experienced numerous surgeries. The win does illustrate the old adage about the game being played in the six inch space between the ears. Tiger's talent, experience, discipline and course management is what won the day. Congrats Tiger and keep chasing Jack's 18 major record.
Several players, on the last nine, held or shared the lead. Only one did not hit any bad shots once in that position. All of the others, once they saw their name at the top, started hitting poor shots.

The shot Tiger hit on 16, after getting the lead was a great example of the difference between a player in control of his emotions, and the others. That was the part I thought he might not get back after the long time away from the fire.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Something made me watch all four days. I was mesmerized by the level of play.

It was great to see Tiger win with a combination of amazing skills and unbeatable experience. I loved the 12th where he didn't even try to shoot for the pin, and his partners both hit the water. His play was incredible, but the field was fully stacked! I think his exceptional decision making, and his ability to adapt to changing weather conditions, is what made the difference this weekend.

Molinari earned my respect tho. He never gave up, and played incredibly well - well enough to win going away. The heavy air did him in. If he had just bogeyed the final 12 and 15 he would have tied Tiger's final score. His poise was impressive.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #45

It was just like old times on the last day of a major - Tiger on the Leaderboard hitting solid and smart shots, and everyone else in contention looking over their shoulder, trying too hard and making mistakes.

But Koepke is impressive. I hadn't realized he'd won 3 of last 6 majors going into the Masters. He looks like a new and bigger version of Tiger.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #46

Having watched his earlier ascent and subsequent descent...I was happy to see him win again. And who didn't choke up a bit with the side by side of the win hugging his Dad and this one hugging his children and his mom.

A Masters for the golf history books.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I liked what Tiger said after in Butler's cabin even more. 'In 1997 my Dad was there to give me a hug when I won my first Masters. This time 22 years later, I'm the Dad, sharing the win with my kids.'
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts when it comes to Tiger...and the way the commentators and most people view him. Tiger is a terrible person. I wonder if Tiger will ever share the infidelity stories and what he put his kids mother through? What kind of father would do that to his children? But, people will say everyone makes mistakes. Well, Tiger made the mistake with a dozen chicks...that we know of.

For the first 2 decades of his career...he never gave a crap about the fans. He never acknowledged them, rarely signed autographs, rarely gave fist bumps or high fives. Yet people adored him.

Tigers a billionaire yet he stiffs waiters/waitresses all the time on tips. This isnt a rare occurrence either.

But, I cant put all the blame on tiger. His dad was also a womanizer. Heck, Tigers old man didnt even live with his mom. So its no surprise Tiger did what he did...doesnt make it right.

The moral of the story is, people love a winner. Doesnt matter how they are in life, how they treat people, if the person wins all is forgiven. I just dont understand this mentality.

The only saving grace is his legacy will forever be tarnished with things he did in the past. Is he good for golf, of course. He brings in a ton of $$ for other golfers. Is he talented...uhh, yeah, to say the least. Other than that...hes a scumbag.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy View Post
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts when it comes to Tiger...and the way the commentators and most people view him. Tiger is a terrible person. I wonder if Tiger will ever share the infidelity stories and what he put his kids mother through? What kind of father would do that to his children? But, people will say everyone makes mistakes. Well, Tiger made the mistake with a dozen chicks...that we know of.

For the first 2 decades of his career...he never gave a crap about the fans. He never acknowledged them, rarely signed autographs, rarely gave fist bumps or high fives. Yet people adored him.

Tigers a billionaire yet he stiffs waiters/waitresses all the time on tips. This isnt a rare occurrence either.

But, I cant put all the blame on tiger. His dad was also a womanizer. Heck, Tigers old man didnt even live with his mom. So its no surprise Tiger did what he did...doesnt make it right.

The moral of the story is, people love a winner. Doesnt matter how they are in life, how they treat people, if the person wins all is forgiven. I just dont understand this mentality.

The only saving grace is his legacy will forever be tarnished with things he did in the past. Is he good for golf, of course. He brings in a ton of $$ for other golfers. Is he talented...uhh, yeah, to say the least. Other than that...hes a scumbag.

Let it all out. Hope you feel better
Old 04-15-2019, 12:43 PM   #49

All that ponyboy wrote may be true. I’m thankful to have learned not to make sports stars or celebrities a role model for me or my kids or grand kids. I’m also well able to separate their personal failings from my needs as a fan. He played great golf. That’s all I ever cared about. I’ve watched golf history in my lifetime and it’s been great. My “good for him” is tied to his golf expertise. I was similarly excited when Jack won his last Masters and was pained when Tom Watson missed that putt to win The Open in the way later part of his career. Underdogs, great golf, drama, it was all good.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #50

I'm sure Jordan is a saint. I wouldn't idolize an athlete, but there talent...certainly. As for moral character making up the "greats" of athletes, or any demographic...of course...people do judge. Finau sure did keep up with him on that back 9.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
All that ponyboy wrote may be true. I’m thankful to have learned not to make sports stars or celebrities a role model for me or my kids or grand kids. I’m also well able to separate their personal failings from my needs as a fan. He played great golf. That’s all I ever cared about. I’ve watched golf history in my lifetime and it’s been great. My “good for him” is tied to his golf expertise. I was similarly excited when Jack won his last Masters and was pained when Tom Watson missed that putt to win The Open in the way later part of his career. Underdogs, great golf, drama, it was all good.

Well said. A very few sport stars make a good role model once we know what they really are. Consider that all these dudes (Tiger, Jordan, etc) are idolized, worshiped, fed ego, etc.,, starting at very young age. Girls coming after them left and right, sycophants chasing after their money in every step these guys take, paparazzis descending on them to get any/every dirt out of them ... Most become ego filled, spoiled, rich bratty type. Only good marketing makes these guys look half normal.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Let it all out. Hope you feel better
Its good to shed light on different points of views...but for the casual fan like most...it will fall on deaf ears. But, that was the magic of woods. The game boomed 15 years ago because of him. People who didnt play golf or knew nothing about golf would pay to go see him, buy his nike clothes, and start to show interest in the game. No other golfer moves the needle like Tiger. I dont care much for the guy but even I know that.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #53

I think what makes Tiger so special is that he was able to come back from all of his personal and physical challenges and persevere to win after so many years, and such an abrupt fall from grace. Especially at the level of the game, it seems miraculous.

Tiger is far from perfect, which makes him just like all of us. Unlike all of us, he is a superhuman golfer who may just beat Jack Nicklaus' record of winning 18 Majors. I also think he is a different person than he was 20 years ago, as evidenced by all of the other golfers who celebrated with him at the 18th green. That wouldn't have happened in the past either. Over the years he has paid a huge price for his lapses in judgement and has [hopefully] learned from them.

I don't disagree about the phoniness of his image, but it applies both ways. He's neither as bad nor as good as everyone is sold to think. The outrage is just as manufactured as the adulation. If he's not winning, then it's a lot easier to write headlines about his spectacularly anti-heroic fall. If he is winning, then he's growing ratings and moving product - everyone makes money; why screw it up? IIWII
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I think what makes Tiger so special is that he was able to come back from all of his personal and physical challenges and persevere to win after so many years, and such an abrupt fall from grace. Especially at the level of the game, it seems miraculous.

Tiger is far from perfect, which makes him just like all of us. Unlike all of us, he is a superhuman golfer who may just beat Jack Nicklaus' record of winning 18 Majors. I also think he is a different person than he was 20 years ago, as evidenced by all of the other golfers who celebrated with him at the 18th green. That wouldn't have happened in the past either. Over the years he has paid a huge price for his lapses in judgement and has [hopefully] learned from them.

I don't disagree about the phoniness of his image, but it applies both ways. He's neither as bad or as good as everyone is sold to think. The outrage is just as manufactured as the adulation. If he's not winning, then it's a lot easier to write headlines about his spectacularly anti-heroic fall. If he is winning, then he's growing ratings and moving product - everyone makes money; why screw it up? IIWII
Hey, it sounded like they had fun. At the clubhouse Tiger started talking about the unraveling around the 12th hole and how exciting it got. He likes competition, on and off the course. That's probably why he's now America's 6th richest celebrity.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #55

Quote:

Yep, I totally agree. And the sad part is that lots of young kids idolize a guy like him, because they see him win golf tournaments on TV and want to be just like him when they grow up. Anyone that idolizes Tiger should go back and read the stories about his behavior that came out in 2009 and 2010. They are beyond ugly, and reveal a whole lot about his character as a person. Remember, he was not some 18-year old kid back in 2009........he was 33 years old, with a wife and two young kids. Sure, the guy can play golf, but as a person, he is about the last person anyone should look to as a role model, even if he has matured since then.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Setting all the other things aside, I watched Tiger's comeback victory from the perspective of a golfer who was pretty much considered washed up to back on top.

Looking at things this way, the story is about a once dominating athlete, his fall from grace, then a comeback story. Media, advertisers, many folks eat that story line up.

The outcome itself wasn't so much he came roaring back but the didn't get rattled like so many of the other golfers (shots in sand traps, in the water, knocking down a pine cone, missed close up putts, oh my!)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:44 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Yep, I totally agree. And the sad part is that lots of young kids idolize a guy like him, because they see him win golf tournaments on TV and want to be just like him when they grow up. Anyone that idolizes Tiger should go back and read the stories about his behavior that came out in 2009 and 2010. They are beyond ugly, and reveal a whole lot about his character as a person. Remember, he was not some 18-year old kid back in 2009........he was 33 years old, with a wife and two young kids. Sure, the guy can play golf, but as a person, he is about the last person anyone should look to as a role model, even if he has matured since then.
Athletes are not life role models, never have been, and never should be. There is the rare exception to that, but I can't frankly think of one right now.

If we were to list every athlete that really screwed up his/her personal life, the list would VERY long: Think, Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Daryll Stawberry, Mike Tyson, et. al.

Give Tiger some credit for getting his Sh$t together (finally), getting his body together, and doing what he was literally taught to do from birth, Play Golf.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Athletes are not life role models, never have been, and never should be. There is the rare exception to that, but I can't frankly think of one right now.
tim tebow
Old 04-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
tim tebow
Good one!
Old 04-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Is he talented...uhh, yeah, to say the least. Other than that...hes a scumbag.
Stay gold, Ponyboy, stay gold.