Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Coronation of Miss USA?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Tiger fails to make the cut at PGA. I think the coronation was a bit premature.

What coronation? I am just amazed that he came back to win, not one, but two tournaments, the 2nd one being a major. He will never be the old Tiger, ruling over all his peers with dominance. That golf era is gone, perhaps, forever. Since Tiger, #1 ranking has been a musical chair and it will likely to continue that way.

And someone mentioned his being a womanizer. Can someone name one super sports star who wasn't? It comes with the role whether we approve it or not. When I posted this thread, I was just focusing on Tiger's sports achievement. I can't say I like him as a person but that's not the point of this thread.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:00 AM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
And someone mentioned his being a womanizer. Can someone name one super sports star who wasn't? It comes with the role whether we approve it or not. When I posted this thread, I was just focusing on Tiger's sports achievement. I can't say I like him as a person but that's not the point of this thread.
One? Might be more common among pro athletes/celebrities but that’s overly cynical. There are plenty I’m sure, Steph Curry, LeBron James, Phil Mickelsen without digging...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Happy Birthday, girl!
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #144

Happy Birthday, girl!

Quote:
And someone mentioned his being a womanizer. Can someone name one super sports star who wasn't?
Venus Williams.

BTW, today's her birthday! She's now the same age as Jack Benny.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #145

Quote:

And someone mentioned his being a womanizer. Can someone name one super sports star who wasn't? It comes with the role whether we approve it or not.

This was covered earlier in this thread. There are many sports stars who were not womanizers. Bart Starr is one example. Jack Nicklaus. Why do you assume all sports stars have to be womanizers?
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM   #146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
This was covered earlier in this thread. There are many sports stars who were not womanizers. Bart Starr is one example. Jack Nicklaus. Why do you assume all sports stars have to be womanizers?
Well said.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Because many are? [emoji12]

What about the women in these scenarios? Are they “manizers”?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Because many are? [emoji12]
Most professional athletes were great when they were teenagers and enjoyed the adoration of men and women alike. It's not hard to fathom many of them making poor decisions, both financially and with women.

Quote:
What about the women in these scenarios? Are they “manizers”?
They're groupies and are very common in sports and music. Some are just fans who want to bed a star, but some are looking for a sugar daddy. In the documentary series "30 for 30" in an episode called "Broke" they told how when an athlete showed up at a bar how the social network got into action and spread the word. Shortly after that the bar was overrun by dozens of women hoping to hook up with the star.

I'm not making excuses for the athletes, but when you put a lot of teenage/early 20 males in that situation, many of them who grew up being adored with women throwing themselves at them and adults covering for their indiscretions then many of them will make bad choices.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:08 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not all sports stars are womanizers.

But I do think that fame and fortune does bring on more opportunity.

I bet if there was an honest survey among women, more would throw themselves at men if they are rich and famous than broke and unheard of.

Not picking on women as I'm sure that rich and famous women have their share of male stalkers followers. (Though, too I'm sure not all male Taylor Swift followers are stalkers).
Old 06-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #150

Quote:
Come on, RAE and others. I was being cynical here. Do I really believe ALL sports stars are womanizers? No. But you get my point, do you? I am just saying Tiger is no saint but there is no reason to put him on higher ground when it is pretty obvious that he is not alone in that aspect. You don't have to go too far on this. What is the percentage of Americans who had affairs while they were married? I remember it as more than half. Celebrities will have much more temptations and opportunities to go astray.

Lastly, those who gave specific examples of superstars being faithful, do you *really* know for sure? How may times were we surprised that someone we thought was a faithful celebrity ... wasn't.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This was covered earlier in this thread. There are many sports stars who were not womanizers. Bart Starr is one example.
Paul Hornung swept up all the woman within 1 mile so Bart never had a chance.

As for Tiger ... Although I'm not a fan, I admire this comeback. As a survivor of back surgery myself, he's inspirational, and educational. I'm sure a lot of people are now asking their doctors about ALIF. I also contend that his fast comeback from traditional laminectomy contributed to his problem, hence the educational part: don't be like Tiger. Let your back heal first. But who knows? The more dangerous ALIF worked great for him, and he is at least in the conversation again.

Despite all his crap and arrogance, I don't ever wish back problems on anyone, Tiger included.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:39 AM   #152

I'm going through a bout of back problems myself right now. I'm currently on the "unable to perform" list (golf only BTW)...it has been cold and rainy in the northeast so that has not been helping.
I was watching Tiger at Pebble, and thinking that cool damp weather is not the best for him. Remember how he was sweating bullets while winning the Tour Championship last summer? That is probably the best weather for Tiger and his back. It was damp and chilly at Bethpage for the PGA, also, and I suspect it is unlikely to be hot and sunny in Ireland next month for the Open....Tiger is probably thinking "man I hope I get to play some more majors in hot weather again. The move taking the PGA from August to May does not help him in this regard.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I bet if there was an honest survey among women, more would throw themselves at men if they are rich and famous than broke and unheard of.

Recall watching the ESPN 30 for 30 episode on the reasons pro athletes are notoriously bad at handling finances. There are many reasons but one of the things they talked about was a social media app that 1000's of women subscribe to that tracks popular nightclubs and sends out notices when famous athletes/entertainers show up to the club. Not long after they show up the floodgates open and women start pouring in.

Edit: Should have read the other responses closer, looks like MusicLover beat me to it.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I'm going through a bout of back problems myself right now. I'm currently on the "unable to perform" list (golf only BTW)...it has been cold and rainy in the northeast so that has not been helping.
I was watching Tiger at Pebble, and thinking that cool damp weather is not the best for him. Remember how he was sweating bullets while winning the Tour Championship last summer? That is probably the best weather for Tiger and his back. It was damp and chilly at Bethpage for the PGA, also, and I suspect it is unlikely to be hot and sunny in Ireland next month for the Open....Tiger is probably thinking "man I hope I get to play some more majors in hot weather again. The move taking the PGA from August to May does not help him in this regard.
That's an interesting observation and possible. For me, it doesn't seem to matter. But everyone is different. I doubt he had any metal inserted for his ALIF. He wanted to avoid that. Any instrumentation for back repair definitely causes issues when cold.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's an interesting observation and possible. For me, it doesn't seem to matter. But everyone is different. I doubt he had any metal inserted for his ALIF. He wanted to avoid that. Any instrumentation for back repair definitely causes issues when cold.
Although he didn't go into details, he did say in an interview on Saturday or Sunday that the cold weather at Pebble was causing him some physical issues. He was also observed with KT tape on his neck on the weekend.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Although he didn't go into details, he did say in an interview on Saturday or Sunday that the cold weather at Pebble was causing him some physical issues. He was also observed with KT tape on his neck on the weekend.
Ahhh, so that's a good theory. Used to all the warm Florida weather too.

He also has a host of other issues besides the back. Muscles tighten in cold and havoc can result.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What coronation? I am just amazed that he came back to win, not one, but two tournaments, the 2nd one being a major. He will never be the old Tiger, ruling over all his peers with dominance. That golf era is gone, perhaps, forever. Since Tiger, #1 ranking has been a musical chair and it will likely to continue that way.

Nolan Ryan, has been married to his wife for 50+ years... never any rumors...

David Robinson, was a very religious person...

Earl Campbell... met the man as the firm I worked at did his taxes... very humble...

Edit to add, JJ Watt... if you want someone current...

Those just off the top of my head...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:53 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

As an aside... when talking about women throwing themselves at sports stars...

Many years ago there was a player for the Houston Rockets named Robert Reid... well, I had a friend who had the same name and lived close to the sports star... he would talk about all the women who would call and say what they wanted to do to him ... until they figured out he was not the basketball player...

BTW, the player had an unlisted number of course...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote