Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-02-2017, 09:01 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
One thing I don't understand on many of the dating sites from what I remember was the number of guys posting pics of themselves standing by their car or truck I just don't get it.
Agreed, so on the topic of instant turn-offs, for me they are:

Women winking at the camera while holding some sort of a drink. Not classy.
Women wearing team baseball caps (heck even men shouldn't do that after 30).
Women showing major cleavage/skin right on the main profile photo.
Women typing 2 page long list of what they want
Women posting pics with other men unless it's her dad then it's sweet but best to not have other men even if they're cousins, brothers whatever.
dvalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
...For me it's all about personality. My husband is "the quiet man" and I'm the social butterfly. I drag him out to car club meetings, car shows, cruise nights, wood carver shows. These are all things that are of interest to him but he's so introverted he wouldn't go unless I initiate it...
This raises an interesting point to me. Observing my male friends and acquaintances who have lost their spouses/companions thru death or divorce later in life, it seems that the ones who were socially engaged, either directly or through their spouse/companion, were able to quickly find companionship. Perhaps because their involvement got them known in those social circles... and if they were viewed positively, when they became single the social circles in effect worked to find them a companion.

Another item I have observed is that is a male having an air of "desperation" for companionship might be a problem. I do not know if this is generally true, and this again may depend on the social settings one frequents. DW said one of the reasons she get interested in me was that I was friendly but not "pursuing" her as other men were in college, and they making her all sorts of "offers" and "promises". Maybe it was because she had a bit of a ego then - trying to figure out why I was not chasing her when others were.

Though happily married, I do thing about this thread topic. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. Even if you have the "perfect" life with your companion, eventually one day one of you will be burying the other, and perhaps wondering what will you do now. So for me this thread topic is a good thing to ponder.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #63

I enjoy reading this thread. It beats the dry analysis of 4% SWR. But I must say it's tough for both sexes. My daughter told me recently one of her college friends from freshmen dorm keeps a spreadsheet of 109 men she went out with, out of that many men, she only has FWB with 3, i.e. she has not found the guy yet. They are all successful career wise but lacking some social skills.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I do recall one fellow in college, who complained that if a man got excited he had to have sex, or else his penis might explode. He was serious, and I was me. I asked if I could watch.
That's pretty funny!! I dated this lady a long time ago, for may be a month, she was insistent that I should not use condoms since she's on the pill and has a lady-condom. I told her I wasn't comfortable with the idea. She continued that it feels no different than her plastic friend. I told her to let me know when I should hit the off button then
Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post

One thing I don't understand on many of the dating sites from what I remember was the number of guys posting pics of themselves standing by their car or truck I just don't get it.
This is easy to understand. Just think of the number of women who post pictures of their cats. Why? How many men want to date a cat? How many men want to play second fiddle to a woman's pets? It's the same kind of thinking, only the irrelevant object is different.

And speaking of photos, why in the world do so many women post so many bad photos of themselves? Really, I kid you not. Among the bad ones I have seen are:

1. The woman is frowning and looking very unpleasant, like she is suffering from a migraine.. Sometimes she even looks hostile. Will she bite my head off the moment I displease her?

2. The photo is out of focus. What does she really look like? Yes, we realize blurriness hides the wrinkles, but those wrinkles also show she's mature and not some wet behind the ears 30 or 40-something.

3. Selfies! Good grief they look terrible! Worse are the ones taken in front of a mirror with the reflection showing the lady holding the phone with her head at an awkward angle.

4. Long distance operator. She makes up about 5% max of the photo. Maybe the NSA and its super computers can get a good idea what she looks like but most men will just pass her over.

5. Awful color balance. The photo is very orangish, or worse yet, greenish. Even the simplest photo software can correct that with one click of the mouse.

6. Gross backgrounds. You know, the one where the open toilet is right behind her left ear. Or the pile of dirty dishes in the sink is behind her shoulder. Or the disgusting, filthy cat/dog bed surrounds her head.

7. Excessively Sexy. Yup, I really mean this. One photo showing her 'rockin' a short sexy dress is OK. Heck, it's great! Numerous photos with revealing clothing makes the worthwhile guys wonder what she is really about.

8. I'll save the worst for last - the out of date photos that are at least 5 and probably 10 years old. When they meet, the man will know he has been fooled. These remind me of bald men who always wear a hat in their photo (those bald is apparently very sexy these days). Or guys who overstate their financial status, height, love of children, and cooking abilities. Don't lie.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:22 AM   #66

I forgot the worst photo type, the deceptive photo i.e. a super close-up of the face. Then you meet them in person and find out they're 3x the size you thought they were.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #67

I think that the harder you look, the more you stress about it, the greater you chance of not finding it. I was 38 when I finally gave up and quit looking.. within 6 months I found her and she found me.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I think that the harder you look, the more you stress about it, the greater you chance of not finding it. I was 38 when I finally gave up and quit looking.. within 6 months I found her and she found me.
There is a lot of truth to what you write.

It's OK to be persistent and not let the failure discourage us, but when one tries to hard, becomes desperate or comes off as needy it's time to take a break and just concentrate on being true to yourself.

Finding a partner should not consume a person, it's important for sure, but it is not the only reason for living.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

This past week I thought, Oh crap. GF is really being unreasonable. Of course, she felt that I was being worse than unreasonable, more downright awful. If we could just agree on who was the perp, and who was the vic, everything would be copacetic! Luckily some of the postings on this thread helped me realize that a bit of pain now is better than a lot of loneliness, disappointment and frustration later.

Take home-I resolve to count my blessings and keep my head down.

Other topic-someone mentioned Meet-Ups. I think meetups are great, and some that particularly appeal to younger people are real dating clubs. But I go to a few that are specifically addressed to 50+ members, and mostly the men prefer to talk to other men, as do I. There are many more women than men, and for the most part they group together. I do not know whether this is choice or default.

As my first statements in this post imply, I hope that my situation persists. If I doesn't I will just go back to dancing, as dancing is fun without any more, and it also teaches the man and woman a lot about one another in a very short, no pressure physical interview. The lead and follow is very good, as people have known for at least centuries. If I start to turn left, and she insists on going right, someone may long for her, but I am just waiting til the music stops.

Ha
Old 06-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I was widowed after 30 years of marriage. The last 12 years were as a caregiver for my brain injured wife. She recovered about 90% function, but had a personality shift.
I was on a grief recovery website, and there was a lady there who struck me as the most caring person I had ever known.
We found out we lived only 40 miles apart, and agreed to meet half way for lunch. As I walked her to her car after lunch, I said what i think was the smartest thing I ever said. I said, "I would like to see you again".
We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary in November.
My birthday this year came around Mother's day, which we celebrated with her 2 sons, wives, and grandchild. Her older son gave me a card that really teared me up.
He wrote-Happy birthday, we love you.I couldn't have asked for someone better to take care of my Mom.
Good for you. Your story teared me up too. Having a good relationship with your SO's kids is so important. Sometimes not easy.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #71

My DS and I sometimes discuss how much we would hate to have to date again. This thread has certainly confirmed our view.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
And speaking of photos, why in the world do so many women post so many bad photos of themselves? Really, I kid you not. Among the bad ones I have seen are:

1. The woman is frowning and looking very unpleasant, like she is suffering from a migraine.. Sometimes she even looks hostile. Will she bite my head off the moment I displease her?
8. I'll save the worst for last - the out of date photos that are at least 5 and probably 10 years old. When they meet, the man will know he has been fooled. These remind me of bald men who always wear a hat in their photo (those bald is apparently very sexy these days). Or guys who overstate their financial status, height, love of children, and cooking abilities. Don't lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I forgot the worst photo type, the deceptive photo i.e. a super close-up of the face. Then you meet them in person and find out they're 3x the size you thought they were.
Gotta agree with all these. Hard to believe so many women can't take the time to give their profile photos just a little bit more thought and attention to detail. I'm sure you could make a similar list for men's pictures, too.

IMHO, the biggest flaw with online dating (or, more technically, online introduction services) is that there is way too much emphasis on extensive, meticulous, upfront filtering. For example, you specify exactly what age range, height, weight, religion, salary, musical tastes, hobbies, and many other aspects you are looking for in an ideal partner, and then basically never end up meeting anyone who falls outside that very narrow range. Several studies on this phenomenon have shown that it's an extremely counterproductive strategy for finding a suitable partner, since it turns out that nebulous factors like personality, chemistry, and interpersonal dynamics are much more important than people think, and often times people end up dating and marrying someone they never would've even met had they applied all the filters mentioned above.

A simple example of this is the height filter that women often use on sites like Match.com. A large percentage of women set their minimum desired height to 6'0", and this alone immediately screens out roughly 80% of the population of available men. Yet were they to meet these shorter men in real life, at a social function or though more "natural", traditional means, a fair number of these women would find themselves attracted to the men for other reasons, in spite of their height.

I haven't done much online dating, but my rule of thumb is to use filters very sparingly and to set my preferences much more liberally than I might otherwise be comfortable with. In essence, I want to expand my pool of potential matches beyond just my "ideal", and I want to make it past most of the screening filters of all those women who are looking for just their "ideal".
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the comments regarding inaccurate/out of date photos and silly restrictions such as "I'll never date a man less than 6' tall". How is that any different than a man saying "I'll never date a woman with less than a D cup"?

I've also been burned by outdated and/or inaccurate photos. Someone who once claimed to have "just a few pounds extra" was at least 80 pounds overweight. Instant red flags for me are head only photos (what won't you show me?), excessive cleavage shots (I only need one pic to prove that you have boobs), long distance photos that seem designed to hide, and descriptions that are nothing more than complaints about all the losers they've met.

Funny story...I met a woman once and even though we didn't hit it off, she said to me, "You look like your picture and are even the height that you claimed". I guess accurate descriptions are a rarity...I'm 5'7" and fit and say so, and when they meet me I'm still 5'7" and fit instead of 5'4" with a pot belly...
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
DW has a friend about 15 years younger than us. I rate her as the 2nd most beautiful woman in the world (after DW, of course. ). A kind, wonderful person. With a very curvy, natural figure.

Her ex divorced because he had a predilection for teenage girls (long and sad story). When she decided to get back into dating, she signed up with a dating service and sent me a few pictures to get my opinion on which would be best for her profile. I told her "either wear a loose burlap sack or only have your face in the picture, because you will get a lot of unwanted attention". It wasn't that she was dressed all sexed up, just that even in nice, conservative clothing, her curves were evident.

DW and I also acted as her secret "date monitor" on about half a dozen occasions, just in the same establishment to observe and be prepared to intervene just in case. The consistent reaction we observed was (a) they were surprised that she looked just like her picture, and (b) they were not expecting her to have the figure she had.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

A simple example of this is the height filter that women often use on sites like Match.com. A large percentage of women set their minimum desired height to 6'0", and this alone immediately screens out roughly 80% of the population of available men. Yet were they to meet these shorter men in real life, at a social function or though more "natural", traditional means, a fair number of these women would find themselves attracted to the men for other reasons, in spite of their height.
No longer on Match, but I was initially frustrated by the height requirements of the women who claimed to be 5'6" or less (I'm <5'10"). I eventually concluded (rationalized : they were more concerned about how they would look in public with their date and used that to screen them out.

I did filter for education and looked for indications of broader life experience after a few episodes with women who hadn't been more than 1,000 miles from their birthplace. Just wasn't much to discuss, and wanted to have the right role model for my kids should something develop
Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

I haven't done much online dating, but my rule of thumb is to use filters very sparingly and to set my preferences much more liberally than I might otherwise be comfortable with. In essence, I want to expand my pool of potential matches beyond just my "ideal", and I want to make it past most of the screening filters of all those women who are looking for just their "ideal".
+1 on the filtering. I try not to have a huge list of 'must haves' and 'deal killers'. The few I have are things like 'non smoker' and being 'fully' single - not separated, not living with previous bf, etc.

The height requirement that many women choose has always perplexed me. Don't they realize that in our age group, when they want a man who is at least 6 feet tall they immediately rule out 90% of the men Not to smart, IMHO.

Filters are another reason I would not recommend depending only on online services to find a potential partner. In real life we are exposed to many people who would never pass our filter tests but are actually very interesting. At some point, they become 'attractive'.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Luckily some of the postings on this thread helped me realize that a bit of pain now is better than a lot of loneliness, disappointment and frustration later.

Take home-I resolve to count my blessings and keep my head down.
You are very wise.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #78

I've often thought it's best to have a friend of the same sex for a roommate/companion as one gets older.

Or perhaps live with another couple and have an open relationship in the household, but monogamous elsewhere.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
My DS and I sometimes discuss how much we would hate to have to date again. This thread has certainly confirmed our view.
Yes. I got lucky and got hooked on DW at age 19. Don't even like to think about how much the dating world (and I!) has changed since 1979; this thread is an eye opener.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #80

I met my DH on Match.com and our 10 year wedding anniversary is this October. We are more in love than ever, and very grateful we found each other.

I met many gentlemen from Match.com in the 3 years prior to meeting DH....at least 100. There were several I went out with multiple times, always casually. Overall I had a great experience and a lot of fun. Sure, I have some stories, but I found that as long as I kept expectations low I enjoyed the process of meeting new people.

My experience was that really good people are out there. It just took some time to find the right one, but since I was having fun I didn't mind the effort.