Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Just a little harmless "politics" interjected into the conversation, lol.
Ah.... Understood. You had a wingman.

Next time I will ask my two good Russian friends, Rimsky and Korsakov, for help. They would make great wingmen.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM   #162
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalley View Post
I thought this thread might only get 3 responses if that but what an amazing perspective from so many smart people and in various stages of life. Thank you for being open and sharing your thoughts, stories and background.
Like many, I married a great woman and figured that I would be married until I left this life (she was younger and a woman, so the stats favored that result). Alas, she flew the coop and ran off leaving me with one child still at home and another heartbroken over what had happened to our family.

I soon found out that married friends hung out with married friends (just like I we did) and were just about useless for finding a new partner.

I also found out that remarrying at an older age, especially if two people have children and financial assets is tough. Even if they get along well, there are issues:
  • Ex spouse can be a pain sometimes.
  • How do we split holiday time?
  • How do we share some asset, but leave mine to my kids and yours to your kids?
  • I don't want to marry you and care for another man, I did that once and it was enough!
  • And, the worst of all, is when I burdened with the ex-husband's baggage. Not fair!
So, if you are happily married my best advice is to stay that way.

That said, if I was miserable in a marriage and all reasonable attempts to change for the better had failed, I would rather deal with above bullet points than live in a toxic relationship.

Still, there are a lot of great single people out there and perseverance, some discretion, a strong sense of self, and a loving an giving personality is what is needed. And, for us men, it helps to be financially secure, bath regularly and not drink to much.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
And, for us men, it helps to be financially secure, bathe regularly and not drink too much.
I think most men would appreciate a woman with those qualities, too!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about the coop-flying, especially with chicks still in the nest.

It behooves both men and women to know what they can bring to a relationship. And that includes "baggage." Everybody's got some to carry, but some people need an entire brigade of bellhops.

Quote:
Li
I also found out that remarrying at an older age, especially if two people have children and financial assets is tough. Even if they get along well, there are issues:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Mulligan, it works both ways.

But can we get it to rhyme like she did....I dont have a purse, lol.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:06 PM   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We'll have to work on that....
Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You could get a murse.

Bag Type - Murses - Page 1 - ModernManBags.com
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:35 PM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
There you go, Mul!!!

(Thanks Meadbh!!)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

I've seen this nurse-and-purse remark in every Internet discussion of marriage. I wonder if actual nurses find it insulting. I have met a couple of male nurses who are hotties.

Quote:
I recently talked to a regular at the workout place I go too. She is 70 and considering to move away to find a better chance to find a significant other. She said "The only men around here that are a available either want a nurse or the purse".
Old 06-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #170
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In the extremely unlikely event that I meet a woman compatible with my rather unconventional lifestyle and interests, she would merely add spice to what is already a wonderful life. I'm very lucky to be able to live as I do, and she should feel the same way about her own life.

BTW: never married, and never will be married. 😎
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:42 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Interesting post and I believe it isn't the norm today like it was 40 and 50 plus years ago.

I once was told by an old timer he said don't get married till you are older in life. Then he said marry one that can wheel you around in the wheel chair. Lol
My grandfather did this in his 70's... He'd outlived two wives after nursing both through debilitating terminal diseases (brain tumor and alzheimer.) At that point knew his health was starting to decline... and married a woman (he met through church) who needed financial security and he needed a caretaker. Unfortunately, they didn't get along as well as hoped and after 5 years he divorced her. Fortunately he was from a very large family and a younger sister (15 years or so younger) took care of him in his later years.

Marrying for a nurse is not always a good idea.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #172

Maybe a young doctor is a better idea.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Divorced over 20 years ago. If I find the right woman, I could see getting married again, but I'm not really looking these days. I think I'm just too picky and set in my ways.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I apologize in advance... I just could not resist...

Old 06-06-2017, 07:25 AM   #175

Quote:
Like many, I married a great woman and figured that I would be married until I left this life (she was younger and a woman, so the stats favored that result). Alas, she flew the coop and ran off leaving me with one child still at home and another heartbroken over what had happened to our family.

I soon found out that married friends hung out with married friends (just like I we did) and were just about useless for finding a new partner.

• Ex spouse can be a pain sometimes.
  • How do we split holiday time?
  • How do we share some asset, but leave mine to my kids and yours to your kids?
  • I don't want to marry you and care for another man, I did that once and it was enough!
  • And, the worst of all, is when I burdened with the ex-husband's baggage. Not fair!

That said, if I was miserable in a marriage and all reasonable attempts to change for the better had failed, I would rather deal with above bullet points than live in a toxic relationship.

Still, there are a lot of great single people out there and perseverance, some discretion, a strong sense of self, and a loving an giving personality is what is needed. And, for us men, it helps to be financially secure, bath regularly and not drink to much.
Good post. Healthy perspective in my opinion. Agree that almost anything is better than a toxic marriage, that's why divorce costs so much(it's worth it). Life ain't easy sometimes but you can't give up. Good luck.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #176
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I recently talked to a regular at the workout place I go too. She is 70 and considering to move away to find a better chance to find a significant other. She said "The only men around here that are a available either want a nurse or the purse".
I live in Florida so I know plenty of 70 year old women and they are all looking for a guy to take them to dinner frequently and of course pay for everything but not require anything in return.These are women who have a decent amount socked away .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:31 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I live in Florida so I know plenty of 70 year old women and they are all looking for a guy to take them to dinner frequently and of course pay for everything but not require anything in return.These are women who have a decent amount socked away .
Interesting. Does one expect anything in return from women from 70 year old group? I like single men to chime in on this.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Can you quantify their success rate?

I used to try to pay for my own dinner when I was 21. Nobody would let me. I bet they would let me do it now and I'm not 70 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Old 06-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I used to try to pay for my own dinner when I was 21. Nobody would let me. I bet they would let me do it now and I'm not 70 yet.
That's equality for you...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

If it's equality now, what was it when I was 21? LOL Those who thought they were getting an "exchange" usually went away hungry, double LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's equality for you...