Sinkhole swallows pricey Corvettes at hallowed museum

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Unbelievable and sad.

Corvettes fall into sinkhole at National Corvette Museum - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Sinkholes are swallowing Corvettes now. Last year it was houses in Florida, and on Wednesday nature gobbled up some of the coolest and fastest cars to come off the assembly line.

Eight valuable 'vettes at Bowling Green, Kentucky's National Corvette Museum fell victim to a 40-foot-wide, 20-foot-deep sinkhole that opened up in the facility's yellow Sky Dome wing. The museum unofficially estimates it caused millions of dollars in damage.

Visited that museum last year -- very cool!

I wonder if this might be related to the vast Mammoth Cave complex underground in that area?

I saw this on Car Talk's FB page earlier today. They were making jokes about corvettes being money pits. :(

I wouldn't want to be the geotechnical engineer on that building. Or the professional liability ins. company, either. :facepalm:

Visited that museum last year -- very cool!

I wonder if this might be related to the vast Mammoth Cave complex underground in that area?
yes. That part of Kentucky is limestone reef. Rainwater just percolates down, makes caves, makes sinkholes, makes underground rivers.

Ha

Includes cars on loan too. This will play out as an Insurance and legal liability nightmare. Yet entertaining to watch.
Had to laugh when I saw this in the news because it's just so profound. I'm weird like that.

Back
Top Bottom