Join Early Retirement Today

Sleep With Spouse or Separate?
Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sleep With Spouse or Separate?

When I had a herniated disk problem in my back I could only sleep an hour at a time. It bothered my wife's sleeping and I eventually went into the spare bedroom to give her peace. We have stayed that way for 10 years or so and seem to sleep better. Do you sleep together or separate?
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

What!?

Isn't it bad enough hackers are stealing our identity, Google and the NSA are watching everything we do, now you're asking who I sleep with?

NYDB
Old 03-17-2016, 04:21 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

We have decided to not separate... Ya get used to her after 58 years, and it's a little late to start over.
Besides... a cute little polar bear is cuddly on a cold winter night.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have cervical and lumbar disc problems, but she married me for better or worse!
Seriously, there are beds where if you move won't shake her side.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

...only if one of us is sick. Then, the other sleeps in the guest room. So, when DW is sick I go to the guest room. And if I get sick, then I go to the guest room. That's fair, right??
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My wife and I keep different hours. She gets up all hours of the night taking medicine for her back pain. I stay up very late and my CPAP bothers her.

We also watch different television shows, with me staying abreast of the news.

She has her bedroom suite, and I have my own bedroom at the other end of the house. We just live better sleeping apart. It's a mutual arrangement.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We have separate bedrooms but he usually ends up in bed with me later in the night. Probably 5 out of 7 nights. My room has the bigger bed.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
...only if one of us is sick. Then, the other sleeps in the guest room. So, when DW is sick I go to the guest room. And if I get sick, then I go to the guest room. That's fair, right??
Exact same setup here. No point in asking whether it's fair or not. Some things just are the way they are -- like responsibility for the position of the toilet seat.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Considering there is only one bed in the house, the other would have to go sleep in the motorhome!
Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What!?

Isn't it bad enough hackers are stealing our identity, Google and the NSA are watching everything we do, now you're asking who I sleep with?

NYDB
+1000

That said, we do live next door to one another. On the other hand, our houses are about 15 feet apart. And then, do we even count as spouses? We aren't married even though we have been a committed couple for 16+ years.

Guess you all will have to wonder about this (if you ever get bored enough to do so), because that's all you are going to get from me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #11

I have a full size bed all to myself! (and, yes, it is in the motorhome.) Oh! Wait. You were probably not talking to us single people.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

We sleep together. I was having problems sleeping with his snoring, but we now sleep with a noisy fan on at night. The white noise works for us. After 43 years, it would be hard sleeping apart!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in our late 40's and sleep in the same bed, but I sleep with earplugs in due to DH's snoring. Many of my friends and prior coworkers who were in their 50's and older said that they had separate bedrooms and they all seemed to think they were the only ones. I assured them that many people did this and I also wondered why everyone seemed to share this information with me.

Now in addition to the 2 humans there are usually at least 3, but sometimes up to 6 cats on the bed.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #14

Together. Unless one of us is sick or out of town.
And if DH snores he gets "gently" rolled over onto his side (perhaps with my elbows....lol)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Me, DW and a small dog in the same bed. We spent some frustrating months sleeping apart due to various health issues. Then there was the snoring by both of us. After dropping a combined 100+ pounds we no longer snore!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #16

Separate rooms for the last twenty years. A good night sleep is priceless. We both snore. Many friends of ours also sleep in separate rooms/beds. A poll might be a better way to broach this subject.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:55 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
+1 same system here
jjquantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #18

Somehow, together for thirty+ years. And unless traveling, always on "traditional" waterbeds. Amazing what your subconscious can tune out.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
...-- like responsibility for the position of the toilet seat.
You put it up and she then puts it down? Only seems fair to me... why should you do all the work.... share the work load.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Together unless one of us is sick. However, uncle and aunt have slept separately for many years. Works for them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote