Join Early Retirement Today

Sling TV - recommend or not
Old 12-10-2022, 05:01 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi all, we have had Hulu now for a while, but it has gotten pretty expensive ($89+) and we are no longer sure it is worth that to us. We like to watch shows like 48 Hours, Dateline, et al, and I definitely watch a lot of HGTV.

Looking at Sling, even their premier Blue+Orange package is only $55 and seems to cover most of what we want.. we do not need more than the 50 hours of DVR included.

But still, I would appreciate hearing from actual Sling users... likes, dislikes?

Thanks!
pugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’ve had Sling (Orange + Blue and Hollywood Extra) for a while and really like it. They sent a notice that the price would increase by $5 in December but I’ll stay.

It really depends on what you want to watch but it may be worth trying.

Something relevant is that there’s excellent broadcast service (antenna) in this area and that makes a big difference. I don’t know if I’d want to go Sling-only.

[ADDED] I use the 50-hr DVR a lot so that’s a nice free feature. I think it used to be 10 hours.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

YouTube TV is only $55 (3 months) then goes to $65/month with unlimited cloud storage. Can share account with 6 people (6 different logins and no shared content)…
RetiredAt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:56 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use it for several years. maybe 5? I like it. I use it mostly for Pac 12 games. Football, baseball, the odd basketball game. I don't watch NFL but I think I get NFL Red zone. I like it for what it is. I've thought about quitting in the summer but haven't yet. We also do Hulu, Apple tv & maybe Paramount?

When Jan 6 hearings were on we taped/recorded for later viewing. That kind of thing happens on occasion.What is your viewing habits?
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:00 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hulu+Live, YouTubeTV and Sling are all good packages. We have Hulu+Live and it’s worth it because DW likes having Disney+ included. Otherwise YTTV would make the most sense for us. Sling would be even better if we used an antenna for major networks and didn’t care about recording those programs, DW won’t stand for that. That’s the decision as I understand it.

OP: Just trial Sling for a month, and switch back to Hulu+Live or YTTV if you don’t like Sling. Why not, no contracts…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:06 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

We went from YouTube TV to Sling when it went up in cost to $65, went to sling for $35 (now it’s $40).

The 2 negatives we notice: sling TV does not allow a very long pause on live TV like YTTV. My wife would occasionally want to pause for 5-10 min, but sling times out around 2-3 min? When she gets a phone call, or whatever - YTTV would pause for a long time and she could resume it - even hours later. Not Sling.

The sling app on fire tv and Roku is not as quick to load. (Very noticeably when changing different steaming services - like Pluto to Sling or Netflix to Sling.)
Old 12-11-2022, 07:08 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to all who replied. I think we will give Sling a try, but possibly not delete our Hulu account until we are sure. The first month of Sling is 50% off anyway.
pugmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:18 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I use it for several years. maybe 5? I like it. I use it mostly for Pac 12 games. Football, baseball, the odd basketball game. I don't watch NFL but I think I get NFL Red zone. I like it for what it is. I've thought about quitting in the summer but haven't yet. We also do Hulu, Apple tv & maybe Paramount?

When Jan 6 hearings were on we taped/recorded for later viewing. That kind of thing happens on occasion.What is your viewing habits?
Same here, as DW is UCLA fan. We have to have Orange and the sports pack, for $40 + $11, just to be able to watch PAC-12 during volleyball season. PAC-12 does not have a way to subscribe directly; you have to be hooked up through a cable provider to watch even non-televised events. Or Sling.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We’ve had Sling for about 2 years and have been happy with it. $35 for orange (was $30 but went up recently). Our only complaint is that it doesn’t include ABC.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:33 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This is my most current spreadsheet of Subscription Networks:

Current Subscription Networks.xls
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
This is my most current spreadsheet of Subscription Networks:

Attachment 44348
We need something like this, but not for channels. We need a "what the heck service has that show about the Swedish criminal assistant" when we can't even remember the title.
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:58 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went to the Sling website - are local channels through an antenna?

Edit: unrelated question. For people who just stream (no cable or satelite TV). Do your ISPs give any grief over the high volume of streaming (I've never not had either cable or satelite)?
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I would suggest using this site to select the channels that are most important to you. It will then list out the streaming apps and prices, along with notes on how many hours of DVR, and also if there are deals.

https://www.suppose.tv/tv

As for Sling, I had it for a while. It eventually didn't handle everything I needed, as well as, the interface I wasn't too happy about. I do keep it around for free because I have outside antenna's hooked up that I can get to through Sling with AirTV.

I now use YTTV and like the interface much better. It has creeped up in price and if it goes higher I may need to revisit the link I've provided.
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
Edit: unrelated question. For people who just stream (no cable or satelite TV). Do your ISPs give any grief over the high volume of streaming (I've never not had either cable or satelite)?
No, they know most people are streaming. Most people in my area had cable TV and internet when the power co-op came in with fiber. They knew people would be confused about how they would get their TV, so they recommended people look to a streaming service (without naming any) for that.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:54 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used Sling Blue for maybe 3 years. No complaints from me.
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty3656 View Post
I went to the Sling website - are local channels through an antenna?

It varies by region, you have to check yours. I don’t think Sling makes CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox all available in any region. But they do offer some majors in some regions, though some may still have 0 of 4. You’ll have to use an antenna or another method for any missing majors in your area, though there are some sophisticated workarounds for the tech savvy.

Some impose a data cap, e.g. 1 TB/mo is common. Above that you are subject to throttling. However, we’ve done nothing but streaming since Feb 2018 with 3 HD TV’s and we’re usually between 400-600 GB, so no issues.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable tv