Small House Lust Again

We are down to just over 800sf and it's just about right for us (we moved back to the UK). By the way, I have two of my best friends who have 2 cabins right on the cliff at Big Lagoon. While there has been some cliff erosion in the past, I don't think there has been anything very notable for a long time. I wouldn't want to live there though.....we like the quiet life, but after about a week visiting I've had enough.

We once stayed for a week in a timeshare unit which was a park model in Point Arena on the California northern coast, and I think park models are usually only 400 sq.ft. We parked our RV for that week, and the park model was huge compared to the 8' x 25' RV. It was quite comfortable, although if we lived full-time in it, we would quickly start to notice its compactness.

When traveling or renting it for a few months, of course you do not have "stuff" that you would when it's your home. No hobby related tools and supplies, no books, computer equipment, kitchen gadgets, etc... Surely, you can live without the above, but then what would you do all day?

Last edited:
My house here in ND is only 860 Square feet. It is easily enough space for me and is cheap to heat (about $50 per month) and is easy to keep clean. Also with property values here in a town of 1500 people it only cost $42,000 when I bought it in 1996.

Attachments

• 6 May 2010.jpg
    6 May 2010.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 25
We once stayed for a week in a timeshare unit which was a park model in Point Arena on the California northern coast, and I think park models are usually only 400 sq.ft. We parked our RV for that week, and the park model was huge compared to the 8' x 25' RV. It was quite comfortable, although if we lived full-time in it, we would quickly start to notice its compactness.

When traveling or renting it for a few months, of course you do not have "stuff" that you would when it's your home. No hobby related tools and supplies, no books, computer equipment, kitchen gadgets, etc... Surely, you can live without the above, but then what would you do all day?

In high cost of living areas, it would cost a lot less to downsize and then pay for a storage unit for some of the excess stuff. The retirement village we were looking at has storage lockers plus a lot of on site facilities like sewing, ceramic and woodshop studios, so if we lived there or some place similar, I don't think we'd need as much hobby stuff of our own.

I also have been thinking about how when we were younger we were perfectly happy living in 1 - 2 bedroom apartments and flats, and our dream was never to own piles of depreciating consumer goods that would take us years to declutter. Too bad, because if that had been our life's dream we would have fulfilled it years ago. :)

Last edited:
My house here in ND is only 860 Square feet. It is easily enough space for me and is cheap to heat (about $50 per month) and is easy to keep clean. Also with property values here in a town of 1500 people it only cost $42,000 when I bought it in 1996.

That is an amazing price for a nice house.

I could live in a 800 sf house too if I had a shed like that in the back yard.

Before we bought our place in FL, we rented a 500 sf condo for a couple of weeks. It was fine for us and a suitcase, but no way I could live in it full time. To each his own, but 1200 sf is probably my minimum. I don't have much stuff, but I do have some. I'd probably have to downsize from a tenor sax to a soprano.

I think that in such a remote area, it would be hard to find time apart since you would both be home together most of the time. That would not work for us! I could see living in a small place in the city where one or both are out and about doing things all day.

What is that huge building in the back of the house?

An attached garage like that is a HUGE plus in ND or anywhere in the upper midwest. I would be very happy in that house.

No, it's Nodak's mancave.

It is indeed a grain elevator. They buy grain from the farmers and then sell it on. A large amount goes to Duluth Minnesota and is shipped out from there.

It is indeed a grain elevator. They buy grain from the farmers and then sell it on. A large amount goes to Duluth Minnesota and is shipped out from there.

Yup. Former Manitoban here. Very familiar landscape. Cute house!

Since the subject of my stereo has come up, here it is. Excuse the dust please, I am still unpacking. And, for those that notice the preamp is obviously newer than 1972 I replaced my C28 preamp about 9 years ago.

Attachments

• 2015-07-25 21.28.15.jpg
    2015-07-25 21.28.15.jpg
    583.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Since the subject of my stereo has come up, here it is. Excuse the dust please, I am still unpacking. And, for those that notice the preamp is obviously newer than 1972 I replaced my C28 preamp about 9 years ago.
Very nice! I bet it sounds wonderful.

An attached garage like that is a HUGE plus in ND or anywhere in the upper midwest. I would be very happy in that house.

I am very happy here and the screened breeze-way between the house and garage is a great place to sit and watch thunderstorms.

From 1989 to 2004.... 6 months each in two locations.

Illinois campground... 400sf park model 400sf add-a-room 400sf deck 2 strorage sheds.

Florida over 55 retirement community... 1000sf mfg home with storage shed.

Totally comfortable for both, and made our downsize from 2200sf home easy. 700sf w/o extra storage might have been a little bit too small for us. without some extra private space, togetherness might be a question mark.
Location makes up for size... both homes on or next to lake.
Price was important to us total for both homes under $100K, so a different reason for owning.

Re cliff erosion... BIL and SIL had a beautiful 3000sf oceanview home near Plymouth on the top of an ocean cliff, back in 1974, about 40 ft from cliff edge. Both their home and the house next door were victims of erosion and are no longer there (circa 2002). As they say... "Location, Location, ...ulp gone!"

Looking at the Real Estate page for the house, found the "Big Lagoon" company... an interesting concept:
http://scc.ca.gov/webmaster/ftp/pdf/sccbb/2011/1105/20110519Board3F_Big_Lagoon_Access_Ex2.pdf

Last edited:
I'd look pretty stupid with my having such a small house with 4 cars, 2 boats, 2 ATV's and a fifth wheel trailer sitting out front.

Back
Top Bottom