Join Early Retirement Today

Small-Plane Questions
Old 09-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Small-Plane Questions

1. What is a model of an airplane that might be purchased by a private individual (not a rich person), and which would have flight controls that would be made unusable by a super-EMP event (one that knocks out ALL electronics)?

2. Are there plane-sharing agreements such that someone of moderate means might share or rent an aircraft of the type in question 1?

3. Are there parachutes normally within reach when a private person is flying a small airplane? If so, where are they, and how quickly can they be put on?

In this video, one of the pilots also parachuted out safely.

Thanks,
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
1. What is a model of an airplane that might be purchased by a private individual (not a rich person), and which would have flight controls that would be made unusable by a super-EMP event (one that knocks out ALL electronics)?

2. Are there plane-sharing agreements such that someone of moderate means might share or rent an aircraft of the type in question 1?

3. Are there parachutes normally within reach when a private person is flying a small airplane? If so, where are they, and how quickly can they be put on?

In this video, one of the pilots also parachuted out safely.

Thanks,

My take on your questions.

1. Short answer - none that I know of. Most GA planes are not fly by wire, so they could be controlled like a glider after an EMF, which may causes the engine to fail. Any coil of wire in a magnetic field will induce a current, and a strong EMF may fry all your wires. Gas engines get there spark from magnetos (coils of wires) and the electrical instrument (more coils of wires) may fail. You can buy a diesel engine replacement for GA aircraft but it's not cheep. You could "harden" your plane, but you will eat away at useful load fast, also not cheap. It you want to be safe in an EMF stay out of the air and buy a horse.

2. Very unlikely.

3. It's not common to wear a parachute in a GA unless you are doing aerobatics. The problem is getting out of the plane in time. It's more common for GA and ultra lites to have parachutes on the plane itself.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1. I'm not up on modern aircraft. Thirty years ago when I got my license most small private aircraft could operate without any electronics...even to start. Just turn the ignition on, set the fuel, prop the engine, and off you go. Power for the plugs came from a magneto, which has no electronics in it. I'm not sure if they've gone to electronic ignition or electronic fuel injection since then, but those systems would probably be disabled by an EMP pulse (if the couple of novels I've read that had EMP events are at all accurate).

2. Yes, lots of flying clubs and FBOs (fixed base operators who rent planes to private pilots).

3. No. Parachutes are usually around only if the plane will be used for aerobatics, and then the parachute is worn during flight.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check this out, there are sections on both cars and commercial aircraft (no GA, however).

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Pilots of America forums might be a good place to post this, too. I've seen other threads in the past over there about people researching GA (general aviation) planes before, for movie scripts and that kind of thing.

I don't have a pilot's license nor own a plane, but I hope to start training in another year or so, so I've been doing a lot of research on it over on those forums. From my (VERY LIMITED) knowledge about GA aircraft, I'll throw in my .02 but will certainly defer to others with practical experience and owning planes:

1. There seem to be many models of GA airplanes that would fall into this category, from "cheaper" (keep in mind "cheap" is relative in General Aviation) Cessna 172/182 up to brand new Cirrus SR22 and the like. I could see advanced avionics like glass cockpits (Garmin G1000 and the like) being susceptible to EMP, but a lot (most? all?) GA planes have analog (aka "steam") backup gauges that might not be susceptible to EMP. That's something for the experts to answer, how "steam" gauges would behave in an EMP scenario. I don't think any primary flight controls (elevator, rudder, ailerons, etc) would be affected by an EMP because most of those are mechnical, and directly linked to the control input (yoke, sidestick, etc). Unless it was a fly-by-wire system where the flight controls were electronically driven, but I'm not aware of any "typical" GA aircraft that's fly-by-wire. So, even though an EMP event might knock out a glass cockpit, avionics, and the radio, the analog gauges and flight controls might be just fine, leaving the plane perfectly flyable.

2. Yes, there are many people out there who participate in flying clubs that share ownership and maintenance of aircraft, or even small groups of people that go in together and buy a plane.

3. In all the topics I've read about GA, I've never read anything about pilots having access to parachutes. All the threads I've read where an emergency situation arises in air, the pilot is expect to fly the plane, fly the plane, and fly the plane, not bail out of it. Skydiving operations might be an exception, where the pilot does have access to a chute. But I believe 99.999% of normal GA pilots do not carry chutes in their planes. Be aware there are models of planes available now with parachutes for the plane itself. The Cirrus SR22 is one example. There are videos and articles out there of pilots having to activate the chute in planes like this. One of the companies making technology like this is BRS (http://www.brsaerospace.com)

Anyway, hope this little bit of info helps. Keep in mind this is all just from my LIMITED knowledge thus far of research GA for my own purposes. It might even help to go buy the chief instructor of a local flight school lunch and pick their brain. I'm sure a good knowledgeable pilot could contribute a lot to research like this.

Good luck!
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think if you wanted a plane (or any device) to survive an EMP event, you'd just need to have it shielded and disconnected during the event. The major sources of dangerous EMP, either solar burst or nuclear device, would be short lived. After the event, anything not fried should still work.
So, have stuff unplugged, disassembled and spare parts. Learn how to fix things. It's not like ever wire in the world would be fried.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote