Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are/were your habits?
Never smoked pot 36 27.69%
Tried it once or twice, that's all 17 13.08%
Used it on occasion, more than a couple of times. Don't use it any more 22 16.92%
Used it quite a lot in the past, but not any more 32 24.62%
Still smoke it on occasion 14 10.77%
Still smoke it a lot. 5 3.85%
BUT I NEVER INHALED. . . 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Smoking marijuana
Old 02-22-2006, 07:09 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

The societal costs of alcohol far eclipse those of a recreational Drug like marijuana, and to lump MJ into the same class as Cocaine or Crack is totally unfair, as it is to subscribe to Reefer Madness and to suggest that the use of a recreational drug will create a state of dependancy for all casual users.

Not since University Days in the 60's, but I do enjoy wine with all my meals, does that make me an alcoholic or an Oneophile??
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll vote for the brownies!!

Dave
Old 02-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

Not since University Days in the 60's, but I do enjoy wine with all my meals, does that make me an alcoholic or an Oneophile??
Only if you pour wine on your Wheaties for breakfast.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never tried the brownies. *Anyone tried em? *"Don't bogart that brownie, my friend,...."

I'm trying to image the buzz compared to a shotgunned hit of Michoacan. *
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cool. I dont eat wheaties, so I'm good.

Wab - I dont know if any studies demonstrate the cancer causing effects of mj, but I'd imagine that if smoking cigarettes does the trick (wait...is there really proof of that? : ) and most of the same chemicals are in pot, and you're smoking it without a filter, and you're not even sure exactly WHAT it is you're smoking or where it exactly came from...

I think I also saw one of those 'funny' stats that said 1 joint was equal to 6 or 8 or 10 cigarettes.

As far as "badness", should I completely screw up my parenting and find that my son smokes pot now and then once he's grown up and moved out (cuz that **** aint happening in My House of course), I'd be less than thrilled, but I wouldnt be as disappointed as if he turned out to be a drinker or cigarette smoker.

It'd be way better than finding out he smokes those thin little cigars...

Brownies...all things being equal, smoking gives you way more buzz than eating the same amount. Tea is good but even less of a buzz.

Oh yeah, and dont bother trying to smoke catnip. It apparently only works on cats.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:39 AM   #46

I pretty much spent the decade of the 70's stoned. I continued to occasionally smoke pot until about 5 years ago when it preciptated a massive panic attack! I thought I was dying and told my DW to take me to the emergency room. Fortunately, she realized what was going on and kept me calm until it subsided. I haven't toked up since then. I do miss it sometimes. My system doesn't do well with booze so I am now completely clean and sober. Guess thats why I am....

Grumpy
Old 02-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #47

If my memory is correct brownies don't give you that immediate high but a slower build up, kind of like a time released pill. It's also a slower down.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW
When you reflect on the damage inflicted on users and their families, there's not much humor in drug and alcohol use/abuse.* It is often hard for the user to discern the difference between use and abuse.

Best friend in youth - mental hospital permanent brain damage from drug abuse.

Casual friends from high school - became prostitutes for drug habit.

Many friends from youth still in drug haze thirty years later.

Family member indulging in drugs and ignoring children - both young parents involved, horrible situation for the children.

Close friend - lost his college age son to an overdose.

I've seen too much for it to be funny.
Abuse of anything can destroy health, fortunes and lives. *Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, gambling, and many other things are addictive. *Having grown up with an alcoholic father and seeing the effects of various addictions on my family and friends I agree that some people can be addicted to just about anything to the point of destroying their lives. *

Some seem to skate by with no problems so how does one allow one group of people the freedom to imbibe while others should be forbidden from every touching the stuff? *It is a universal issue and one that will continue to so for the foreseeable future. *

Making fun of MJ use as is being done here is harmless. *If we were talking about Crack or Meth or heroine I would agree with you but MJ has never been proven to be as adictive or destructive to your health as the others...even alcohol and cigaretts would seem to be far worse from the studies I have seen. *

Try not to take this thread so seriously. *
It is not meant to condone the misuse of dangerous drugs. *
Old 02-22-2006, 08:46 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Caused a panic attack for me once too. I had interviewed for the job I eventually ER'ed from but hadnt heard from them for a while (which turned out to be SOP), so I had written them off. My girlfriend at the time came back from a trip to LA and had brought a joint with her she copped off a friend. Neither of us had smoked anything in years. Fifiteen minutes later we're sitting on the couch watching tv and eating pizza.

Next day, the company calls and wants to make me an offer. Offer of course is contigent on a urine test and background check.

AIYEEEE!

I told them I was out of town for four days, and would accept the offer when I got back, which was cool with them. I had three days from accepting the offer to taking the test. Rumor then was drinking cranberry juice would flush it out of your system faster. I didnt wanna even LOOK at a cranberry juice bottle for a year...

Big panic attack...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #50

Panic attack maximus.

In the 70's I realized that sex after smoking MJ lasted longer and was better. But, MJ also had the affect of causing "sober" sex to last less than 2 minutes.

New girlfriend, no MJ. That's panic!
Old 02-22-2006, 09:06 AM   #51

Yep, I think I had my first panic attack on pot. :P My brain could not interput the tachycardia as a side effect from the pot. Sooo, major PA ensued. Needless to say, that experience resulted in subsequent panic attacks (brain mis-wired?) in my life without drugs as a trigger.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I had not smoking mj in more than twenty years. Then last year I'm camping with friends on a fly fishing trip. After a few beers, a young guy comes around with some pot, like a fool I help him with it, not realizing that mj has improved by a lot in twenty years or so. Soon after a ranger came around to check our camp registrations, wouldn't you know it mine was filled out wrong, it had wrong dates or something. I was torn between laughing at the absurdity of it and the thought I could get in real trouble. To make a long story short, I now refrain from temptation, at least the herb kind.....Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW
When you reflect on the damage inflicted on users and their families, there's not much humor in drug and alcohol use/abuse. It is often hard for the user to discern the difference between use and abuse.
Best friend in youth - mental hospital permanent brain damage from drug abuse.
Casual friends from high school - became prostitutes for drug habit.
Many friends from youth still in drug haze thirty years later.
Family member indulging in drugs and ignoring children - both young parents involved, horrible situation for the children.
Close friend - lost his college age son to an overdose.
I've seen too much for it to be funny.
During Prohibition people used to be hurt or killed by amateur distillers. Until the FDA & FCC started enforcing the rules, the cigarette industry was regularly in trouble for putting dangerous "filler" in their "firm, fully-packed" products. I wonder how many drug overdoses and other dangerous situations were caused by inadequate quality control. I don't think addicts can be responsible for their own behavior without a lot of help & support, but they have no chance when they're simultaneously being poisoned.

I don't think that legalization would make crystal meth or crack cocaine any safer to use, but it'd certainly remove much of the danger and its attendant "forbidden fruit" attraction. I think marijuana should be as regulated as alcohol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkie
Personally I think it should be legalised and licensed for sale in the same way alcohol is. But then again I think that all drug use should be de-criminalised with regulated production and distribution.
... and taxed as much as cigarettes or gasoline!

Here's another side of the "drug wars" that you don't hear much about. You would think that after 20 years of participating in & directing submarine operations that my most frightening stories would be about Cold War surveillance, Arctic deployments, DESERT STORM, or ordnance-related incidents.

Not so. My scariest time ever was following a sailboat through the Philippine archipelago in water so shallow that more than a few degrees up bubble would put the rudder in the mud. We spent a month in one small body of water (supposedly with PI's concurrence, I was never cleared to know) where we were forced to watch the San Miguel beer barge drive by twice a day so close that we could pull alongside and ask for a bulk discount. I still don't understand how we transited one strait at night, submerged with the scope on night vision, without hitting another vessel. Today I can't believe how close we came-- on a daily basis-- to inadvertently colliding with merchants and even grounding in an area of the world that would have highly embarrassed the military and the administration. In retrospect we would have made GREENEVILLE's collision with the EHIME MARU look like a fender-bender.

The sailboat's heinous offense? Carrying a load of hashish. We tracked them all the way to the Straits of Juan de Fuca before the USCG cutter's approach panicked them into burning the boat. When we added up the cost of one submarine, its crew, the nuclear fuel, the six weeks of trail surveillance, and the danger, we should've just surfaced and bought the #$%^ hash. It's a good thing that we never screwed up, were never detected, and also worked through so much crew training and did so well on our nuclear inspection-- because otherwise the rewards in no way justified the risks.

Later in my career one of my COs was CAPT Neil Byrne. He makes John Birch, Attila the Hun, John Wayne, and the Klingon Empire look like a bunch of liberal pinko bleeding-heart wussies. He enlisted during Vietnam and he survived earning the Legion of Merit as a young O-3 so I guess he's entitled to his opinions.

As the PACOM "drug czar" in the late 1980s he used to coordinate military forces in the Pacific drug war. One of his first tasks was the court-martial of a retired USAF E-8 who'd been scanning the air controller traffic at Tinker AFB. When one particular USAF radar aircraft with a certain call sign started to taxi down the runway, he'd call a phone number and say "Bad flying weather today." When the dealers gave him up he was returned to active duty, court-martialed, stripped of his pension & benefits, and sent to Leavenworth for a decade. Essentially he sold his family, his $40K/year COLA pension, & his lifetime healthcare for less than $100K.

After another group of arrests, Neil saw a photograph of two marijuana smugglers in their "office"-- the livingroom of a small apartment. They had posed surrounded by piles of cash, and they were literally up to their necks in a room that was filled to a depth of five feet by the money. They had more trouble processing the money than the marijuana.

Neil had attended PACOM's daily briefings on our submarine's ops and he said there was a vicious staff war over "giving up" a submarine to such a waste of time on a low-priority non-military mission. It was finally "sold" to SECDEF as a unique surveillance training opportunity (boy, I'll say) but several other areas of the Pacific were left uncovered for over a month. You can't do all your surveillance with a satellite.

It took Neil about two weeks at PACOM to decide that legalizing & taxing marijuana & cocaine would pay off the national debt in less than a decade. As long as the govt, the military, and industry kept doing urinalysis for critical jobs, he didn't think it'd affect much. He thought alcohol was a much nastier threat to his sailors, and I can't disagree with that.

So, MD, I'm sorry about your family & friends, and I'm not making fun of a serious situation, but alcohol & tobacco abuse is much reduced by legalization & control. I suspect that many drug abusers would be helped by the same system.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #54

I lost a year back in my college days, and I still can't remember which year it was. That and the paranoia thankfully kept me from ever trying anything stronger.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #55

This is a tough subject, because so many people have personal feelings about MJ. I have debated both sides of legalization. As I get older I have mellowed a bit. My brother was director of a children’s home. He has many first hand stories of the effects of illegal drugs on kids, and also the effects of parents whose sale and use effected their kids. My current position is closer to:

Set a legal age. 21? 25? 30? Not 18

Over that age you can smoke, toke, crack or anything else you want to. I am not your keeper. What an adult chooses to do to himself is his business, and I should stay out to the max extent possible.If you choose to, and you can’t handle it, I don’t want to pay your bills!
Of course you might surmise from some of my earlier post, I don’t want to pay your bills anyway, but that is another story. Yea, if you want to pay mine…. Be my guest.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I pretty much spent the decade of the 70's stoned.
I betcha they didn't call you grumpy during the 70's.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:10 PM   #57

MJ,
were you into biking back then? Seems like cycling could be difficult after a joint made from resin coated tops.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:09 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Songs about that there maryjewanna...

Don’t Bogart That Joint – The Byrds
Roll Another Number For The Road – Neil Young
The Smoke-Off – Shel Silverstein
Don’t Step On The Grass – Steppenwolf
Granny Won’t You Smoke Some – John Hartford
Two Hits And The Joint Turned Brown – John Hartford
Smoke Two Joints – The Toys
Hey Nineteen – Steely Dan (the Cuervo Gold, the fine Colombian…)
Last Dance With Mary Jane – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
You Don’t Know How It Feels – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
I Got Stoned And I missed It - Shel Silverstein/Dr. Hook
Freaker's Ball - Shel Silverstein
Rocky Mountain High - John Denver
Light Up And Leave Us Alone - Traffic

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:57 PM   #59

Great list Have Funds. Love John Hartford.

Don't forget my favorite:
Legalize It -- Peter Tosh

Also:
Rainy Day Women #12 and 35 -- Bob Dylan
Sweet Leaf -- Black Sabbath
Panama Red -- New Riders of the Purple Sage
Homegrown -- Neil Young
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Smoked excessively from 13 - 19, a few other chemicals along the way but only semi-recreational. Was poisoned with PCP (angel dust) mixed in with some pot when I was 14, not fun, scared the crap out of me, stopped smoking for about 4 months. Okay peer pressure got me back smoking, but the paranoia really started kicking in when I was 18. Stopped at 19, panic attacks*