Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What are/were your habits?
Never smoked pot 36 27.69%
Tried it once or twice, that's all 17 13.08%
Used it on occasion, more than a couple of times. Don't use it any more 22 16.92%
Used it quite a lot in the past, but not any more 32 24.62%
Still smoke it on occasion 14 10.77%
Still smoke it a lot. 5 3.85%
BUT I NEVER INHALED. . . 4 3.08%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Smoking marijuana
Old 02-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
MJ,
were you into biking back then? Seems like cycling could be difficult after a joint made from resin coated tops.
Yes, I did a lot of biking both recreational and commuting.
This reminds me a funny story. I was at a party on Manhattan westside and of course, joints were being passed around. When I finally left the party at about 3 AM, I was feeling rather mellow (yellow). I got on my bicycle and headed towards Central Park. Biking and being high (on anything just doesn't mix). I didn't like my lack of concern about the passing cars. When I entered the park, I started feeling a bit paranoid as the park was empty and closed with only imaged boogie men lurking about. In order to bring me down from my high, I began to scream like a raving lunatic. I figured that the screaming would increase my adrenaline as well as scare off any hidden mugger. Just imagine a 6' guy riding a bike, doing 15+ mph and screaming. Glad there were no cops around. When I finally exited the park, the screaming apparently worked. I was paying a lot more attention to the limited passing traffic. I missed the high though. Some nice memories.

MJ
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took acid once, and got very small, and was sucked up by the vacuum cleaner.

Then the drugs wore off..

paraphrased Steve Martin

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:57 AM   #63

Funny/sad/ridiculous drug story:

Early 80's. I smoke a bit only a couple times a year when it's going around at a party; never really got into the kind of high it gave.. kind of oppressive.

BF and I plan a camping trip up to Canada. BF is a kind of more-nervous, less-obscene version of Howard Stern, i.e., smart, fast-talking, snotty. We get to the über-polite über-straight Canadian border guard: "What's the purpose of your trip?"... BF: "to Visit your Beautiful Country!"*

=> Start getting seriously peeved at BF..

Border guard sizes up this borderline flippancy and decides to investigate. "would you mind opening up your glove compartment?" So he looks through the glove compartment and finds.. a little wooden marijuana pipe (BF's) that he has "forgotten" there for weeks/months..

=> Start getting seriously pi**ed off at BF

So.. they obviously go through ALL our stuff, everything in the trunk, inspect the car and take us into the little office. I get female agents; he gets male ones in another room. They understandably ask a ton of questions and I am happy/relieved to answer them all honestly in the negative. I have no pot. (I've never even had pot in my house or on my person, ever..).* I have no other drugs, never been arrested, yada, yada, yada.. Then comes the good part, 'cause they make me take off all my clothes, bend over, and spread 'em.* * The severe, yet polite, lady agents seem almost as embarrassed and uncomfortable as I am.. almost.

=> At this point I am really f**ing pi**ed at BF.

I wait around for 30-40 minutes and an agent comes over to me and says "you are free to go, but we are holding your BF because he had a controlled substance hidden in his shoe". WTF?!?!??!* * Turns out it was a tab of acid. He had never taken LSD. I had never taken LSD.. He'd decided unilaterally that it would be a good idea to do so out in the Canadian wilderness without telling me anything about it.

=> There are not obscenities enough for me to describe BF at this point.

So, I am stuck in a small town in Canada with no car (impounded). A border agent is kind enough to drive me to a motel. BF has a hearing scheduled but it's Thursday or Friday and he has to wait until after the holiday weekend until the next day that the magistrate is slated to roll into town (Wed., I think), since they only have one magistrate for the area and he makes the rounds of different towns on different days. Okaayy...

I spend the better part of my 'vacation' holed up in a no-frills motel with nothing to* do. There's no bookstore, no real restaurants to speak of, the "mall" is basically a supermarket on the outskirts of town with maybe a sporting goods store attached. At the supermarket I get what magazines there are, and am able to sample the range of unique Canadian potato chips flavors, like "beef" and "ketchup".* The highlight of each day is when I walk to a Pizza-Hut-type restaurant for dinner.

Each day I visit the BF in jail, bringing him magazines and newspapers. I had never pictured my life as including visits to someone in jail, but there I am. The "jail" is a couple of cells in a police station on a suburban street in the midst of all the houses, not "downtown". The cells are very clean and everyone is scrupulously polite. BF has had the occasional drunken cellmate sleeping it off, but otherwise nothing to report.

One odd thing I notice while walking "downtown" is a scruffy paraplegic guy who is always 'stationed' at the same place every day on the sidewalk. He's wearing a green military overshirt and is quite obviously THE DRUG CONNECTION FOR THE TOWN! People are always sidling up to him and making little, poorly-masked, 'transactions'!

Wednesday arrives and the BF is told to pay a few-hundred-dollar fine. (Needless to say, I have to go to the ATM and use my cash for this.. can't remember that he ever paid me back.) Then we are FREEE to continue our journey in the land of lawn ornaments (New Brunswick) which was odd/discouraging in other ways that have nothing to do with drugs, so I'll end the story here.

KIDS: JUST SAY "NO"!* * .. to idiot boyfriends (girlfriends).

And.. P.S... don't carry around a pot pipe if you don't have any pot to go with it!

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina
KIDS: JUST SAY "NO"! .. to idiot boyfriends (girlfriends).

And.. P.S... don't carry around a pot pipe if you don't have any pot to go with it!

How about "Don't cross international borders with drugs and/or drug paraphernalia."
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nah, thats too easy.

Beef potato chips. Heh heh heh.

We needed one of those...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #66

Quote:
"Don't cross international borders with drugs and/or drug paraphernalia."
I didn't. See my rule, above.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote