Smoothies anyone!!

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I enjoy making smoothies from wild berries and other fruits. Today I'm having wild currant (black & golden), W goose berry, W blue berry, W June berry, W rhubarb, banana, apple, cranberry, watermelon, black raspberry with 1/2 cup chocolate milk. The wild fruit are frozen, so it is almost like eating ice cream.

Anyone else enjoy them? They are so good!!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but we made smoothies at home for a while until we realized how high calorie, high sugar, high carb they are - considerably worse than even full sugar soft drinks. We used frozen fruit, some ice and a little orange juice in ours - but no more. But all good in moderation I guess...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.59.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 2.59.20 PM.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 45
I make a smoothie, usually daily.

Start with a decaf green tea. I make it the night before after I use the previous green tea.

Add turmeric and ground ginger.

Add straweberries, blueberries and blackberries.

Add chia seeds, ground flax meal, rolled oats and a supergreen powder.

Add 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk.

Blend.

I guess it is more of a green tea drink, but I use frozen fruit from Costco and it ends up being more like a smoothie.

Fruit has sugar, but no added sugar. I eat plants and this is a good anti-inflammatory morning smoothie.

No, I don’t drink smoothies. It’s easy to way overdo the sugar intake in one fell swoop even if it’s 100% fruit and fruit juice. I noticed how sleepy I used to get after drinking a large smoothie (berries, frozen banana, some fruit pulp and yogurt) and realized that for me it wasn’t a good thing to ingest.

In general I avoid drinking my calories.

For people metabolically healthy smoothies may be a non-issue.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but we made smoothies at home for a while until we realized how high calorie, high sugar, high carb they are - considerably worse than even full sugar soft drinks. We used frozen fruit, some ice and a little orange juice in ours - but no more. But all good in moderation I guess...

I know they are high in calories. Lol I really like them and the high in sugars too.

Thanks again for the comparison and health reminder.

If I may add that there is huge health benefits also from eating fruits. Moderation in life is always key. Even a good thing can be over done.

I don't worry much about calories weigh has never been an issue for me in that respect.

Last edited:

Yikes, that Smoothie King drink looks like a gussied-up soda. Did they even put real fruit in that?

I just ran the nutritional profile of the smoothie I just made (blueberries, mango, protein powder, chia seeds and low-cal almond milk) and came up with 250 calories, 12 grams of fiber, 20 grams of sugar, 37 grams of carbs and sodium of 295 mg!). I should reduce the almond milk to reduce the sodium but otherwise way better than the store bought version.

Yikes, that Smoothie King drink looks like a gussied-up soda. Did they even put real fruit in that?

I just ran the nutritional profile of the smoothie I just made (blueberries, mango, protein powder, chia seeds and low-cal almond milk) and came up with 250 calories, 12 grams of fiber, 20 grams of sugar, 37 grams of carbs and sodium of 295 mg!). I should reduce the almond milk to reduce the sodium but otherwise way better than the store bought version.
It’s all real fruit, no added sugar. Strawberries, Kiwi Apple Juice Blend, Papaya Juice Blend, Dairy Whey Blend. Real fruit smoothies are high calorie, high sugar.

How large was your homemade smoothie? My example was 20 ounces, to compare to a similar sized Coca-Cola.

Last edited:
The smoothie kings and jamba juices are loaded with sugar. Avoid.

I use my Vitamix and make about 60 ounces every three days, and drink a third of it each day.

Almond milk, liquid ginger shot, blueberries and raspberries, gold kiwifruit if Costco has them, otherwise whatever Sprouts has on sale orange wise, a banana or two, chia seeds, a little flaxseed, and 8 ounces of a chard, kale and spinach mix from a bag that Costco sells.

More sugar than I want but my drink tastes good and I need the nutrients.

I also consume 80 ounces of green tea a day.

It’s all real fruit, no added sugar. Strawberries, Kiwi Apple Juice Blend, Papaya Juice Blend, Dairy Whey Blend. Real fruit smoothies are high calorie, high sugar.

How large was your homemade smoothie? My example was 20 ounces, to compare to a similar sized Coca-Cola.

Mine is about 18-20 ounces. I think the main difference is that they use fruit juice, while 100% fruit, is still much higher in sugar and lower in fiber. That being said, I'd much rather have one of their smoothies vs a Coca-Cola.

Smoothies are one of my favorite treats. I wore out my old SS Vitamix a few years ago so my wife bought a new one for me. I make a smoothie about 5x/wk with apple juice (no added sugar), banana, avocado, blueberries, strawberries, mango, a few dates, a couple of prunes, some kale, a few calcium/magnesium pills, a few glucosamine/chondroitin pills, and a couple of chondroitin/MSM pills, and a few ice cubes. All fruit is frozen and organic. You don't taste the kale or pills. Make about 32oz. like the large ones you buy. It is thick and frozen like those too so I have to buy the big straws.
I don't worry about the calories since I can keep my weight down riding a bike about 12+ miles most mornings.

Cheers!

Smoothies are one of my favorite treats. I wore out my old SS Vitamix a few years ago so my wife bought a new one for me. I make a smoothie about 5x/wk with apple juice (no added sugar), banana, avocado, blueberries, strawberries, mango, a few dates, a couple of prunes, some kale, a few calcium/magnesium pills, a few glucosamine/chondroitin pills, and a couple of chondroitin/MSM pills, and a few ice cubes. All fruit is frozen and organic. You don't taste the kale or pills. Make about 32oz. like the large ones you buy. It is thick and frozen like those too so I have to buy the big straws.
I don't worry about the calories since I can keep my weight down riding a bike about 12+ miles most mornings.

Cheers!

Sounds Good!
So many health benefits eating those fruits even if a few extra calories in that smoothie. I also don't let calories dictate my life or healthy eating. I don't have a weight issue.
One has the keep in mind a banana isn't a donut when it comes to healthy eating, even though a banana has over 100 calories.

My favorite smoothie is an orange juice, cold water (or ice), spinach mix. I do limit the amount of orange juice to about 1/2 cup. I like that I get a serving or two of vegetables and it tastes great. Now I’m working on one with kale.

Yes, make smoothies all the time, especially when DGS, age 2, comes over. It is his favorite to help make.
I use mine as a substitute breakfast or lunch, especially during hot summer.
I make a full container--enough for 2-3 4/6 oz. smoothies.
Ice, water, spoonful of yogurt, Tbsp. of protein powder, fresh fruits(usually 1/2 banana and handful of berries), some carrot or sweet pepper. Swirl and enjoy.
If I want something decadent I make: Ice, water, PeanutButter powder, cocoa, 1/2 banana. YUM, breakfast and dessert!

I make one every morning. Half cup blueberries, half cup Greek yogurt, protein powder, chia seeds, ground flax, hemp hearts.

I make one every morning. Half cup blueberries, half cup Greek yogurt, protein powder, chia seeds, ground flax, hemp hearts.

Ground flax is something I eat also at one time everyday, and has many health benefits. There again I would believe it is high in calories, but the health benefit outweighs the high calories.

But real fruit (not juice) has fiber that reduced the GI of the smoothie even with the sugar from the fruit. I make "smoothies" to boost my protein for the day/curb hunger several times a week. Usually whey protein, almond milk, and frozen fruit. I use a bullet blender so quantity is pretty limited. If using berries, a bit of cinnamon really makes the flavor pop!

Just got a Nutribullet to replace our old blender. So far it's great, though I worry it'll leak eventually. My fav so far is 1/2c plain yogurt, 2tb flaxseed, half a banana, and as many greens (usually spinach or kale) as I can stuff in, probably about 2cups greens. Seems pretty healthy.

1/2 banana, 1/2 cup mixed tropical fruit, 1/4 lb of baby spinach and fill with unsweetened almond milk and water or a daily treat.
About 200 calories. Sometimes I'll cheat and add some honey though.

As a Type II diabetic, smoothies that taste good are often just too sugary. They'll run my blood sugar up into the mid 200's in a matter of minutes.

That's too bad because I used to love fruit juices of all kinds.

Had to quit drinking beer too.

Back
Top Bottom