Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: For men only: Have you had a vasectomy?
yes 49 42.61%
no 66 57.39%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Snip Snip
Old 02-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
"Why"?!? [...]
Finally, for those of you still unpersuaded and maybe a little concerned about the expense, I'm sure the board would gladly take up a collection to dissuade some of the posters from further procreation...
Thats easy for you to say. You got to ride around underwater in a giant metal penis for 15 years...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
For those of you waxing ecstatic about the convenience & benefits of birth-control pills, save yourself the trouble of discussing this with your female partner.
Thanks Nords for bringing a does of reality into the discussion...nothing like a bunch of guys sitting around agreeing with each other that its much better for their wifes/girlfriends to have to worry about it...and declare that vasectomies are much too dangerous...(compared to what? more dangerous than a tubal-ligation? 40 years on the pill? actually delivering a child?) theres probably a heck of a lot more inconvenience, pain and risk to giving birth and having a baby...and if your wife has already stepped up for you to go thru that (mine did 4 times), getting a vasectomy doesn't really compare...sure, there are risks - most are temporary inconveniences.

I had mine, a grew a third testicle for a while(ouch), sex was uncomfortable for a bit but now I can't tell the difference (and I'm back down to 2 * ).

When I initially complained about the possible discomfort of the procedure when thinking about it, my wife simply reminded me of the 4 children with big heads she pushed out...on balance I say I got a good *deal.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Thats easy for you to say.* You got to ride around underwater in a giant metal penis for 15 years...
Yes, but according to the radiation docs I'm thoroughly recovered. I'm not sure how they can tell or why it matters...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
I had mine, a grew a third testicle for a while...
Oh man! Bet you aced that cojones test!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:51 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Oh man!* Bet you aced that cojones test!!!* *
A guy walks into a bar, lays a $100 bill on the mahogany, and....

eh, never mind.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:58 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
I'm not going to deny that, but to claim its an equal or greater risk than surgery is going to be a hard sell for me.
I think it would probably not be hard to demonstrate (though I have no cites falling to hand or foot but I'd be willing to contact some doctors for additional information if necessary) that pregnancy is far more life-threatening than a vasectomy.

If a male person doesn't want children, a vasectomy is a pretty minor medical event that puts the odds very much in your favor. If a couple doesn't want children, a vasectomy is a pretty minor medical event that puts the odds very much in your collective favor, and it probably minimizes the overall health risks to the couple compared to many of the alternatives.

cheers,
Michael
Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had my vasectomy as soon as I found a doctor who would perform
one on me (27 at the time, before I got married). Most doctors refused
to do them on younger guys, citing "what if you change your mind?".
I knew I did not want kids ever since I was one, since I did not even
like them then.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #48
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Well, it was a 1/2 hour doctor's office procedure for me, nearly 30 years ago. *No adverse side effects. The second worst part was getting shaved down there.

But then, after the procedure, they removed the * duct tape or whatever it was that they used to hold various parts out of the way...

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 AM   #49

Quote:
If you don't know what an estradiol is then you don't have a clue what you're talking about. So increase your longevity-- go read the @#$% book.
Oh no, someone claimed several things in a book! We should stop this discussion now and consider it solved since anything written in a book must be true!

Azanon
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #50

Quote:
I think it would probably not be hard to demonstrate (though I have no cites falling to hand or foot but I'd be willing to contact some doctors for additional information if necessary) that pregnancy is far more life-threatening than a vasectomy.
Isn't it nice to know that there are more options than the two you listed, such as birth control pills i discussed earlier. If you know you struggle with paying attention and missing key points, maybe not posting is a better approach?
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 AM   #51

Quote:
Isn't it nice to know that there are more options than the two you listed, such as birth control pills i discussed earlier.* If you know you struggle with paying attention and missing key points, maybe not posting is a better approach?
Azanon: Apologize for taking this thread off-topic for a second.

How many times have you had your nose broken?

If none, than you had world class speed, or one helluva defense when you were growing up.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Azanon: Apologize for taking this thread off-topic for a second.

How many times have you had your nose broken?

If none, than you had world class speed, or one helluva defense when you were growing up.
Jarhead, have you ever heard of a "false dichotomy" (sometimes you'll hear it called a false Dilemma)? Michael's argument was one. I see you recognized I dont much respect arguments that use common logical fallacies.

Oh yeah, your question.... you're going to need to be pretty tough and fit to mess with me if you're not armed. You know those people that are tough enough in stature, that most people just assume avoid them and go find someone else to pick on? I'm one of them. You asked....

Azanon
Old 03-01-2006, 07:52 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Zero to jerk in 1.2 seconds.

Impressive!

I've seen a baby born and am quite familiar with the mechanics of pregnancy.

I've seen in detail what a vasectomy involves.

There doesnt appear to be any defensible position that says the latter is less safe than the former.

I'll be quite pleased to go drag up statistics to prove it...but that'd kind of be a waste of time now, wouldnt it?

And isnt it nice how the internet makes every little toaster muffin into a tough guy :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny
Zero to jerk in 1.2 seconds.

Impressive!

And isnt it nice how the internet makes every little toaster muffin into a tough guy :
Like they say: @ssholes always advertise...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Actually I said "jerk". I dont mind assholes. Assholes usually have a purpose of some kind. Jerks are just jerks.

I'm Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny, and I'm an asshole...
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
You know those people that are tough enough in stature, that most people just assume avoid them and go find someone else to pick on?* I'm one of them.* *You asked....*
Its odd...walking around in the world, I run into maybe 1 out of 1000 people* that I wouldn't want to mess with...but yet on the internet, a good 75-80% of the people fit this self-description...

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Maybe a lot of people who use the internet also eat their wheaties?

You can mess with me. I'll probably just roll over and let you rub my belly.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:54 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

LOL! I'm going to give mad props to the first guy I see on the internet that says, "Most everybody could kick my butt, I'm kind of a wimp!".

A friend of mine is a Tae Kwon Do buff, was nationally ranked (for his particular association, I know there are a lot). I love to talk smack at him, shout, "Tae Kwon Do stinks!" or some statement about how I could take him. He always just smiles right back, without malice. I respect him immensly for it.

And to bring it back into the thread, his wife got pregnant with their third kid, he said, "mission accomplished!" and scheduled the snip snip. After three kids weighing in an average of ten lbs., it was the least he could do.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
LOL! I'm going to give mad props to the first guy I see on the internet that says, "Most everybody could kick my butt, I'm kind of a wimp!".*

. . .
Most of us learn at an early age how to use a combination of well-timed bluster, stealthy misdirection, and quick escapes. Our butts aren't that easy to kick.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Most of us learn at an early age how to use a combination of well-timed bluster, stealthy misdirection, and quick escapes.* Our butts aren't that easy to kick.* *
I'm a 14 year old boy from Nebraska, most anybody could kick my butt, but that's the great thing about the internet, no one needs to know the truth.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote