Snow in San Diego! Believe it!

laurence

Moderator Emeritus
We just had our coldest winter storm in 5 years year in San Diego county. So we packed up the extended family into our Jeep and our traction control Volvo and hauled out to my Parent's property I told y'all about a couple weeks back. Just when we think we won't see anything but rain, we turn the corner into their valley and get whalloped by a snow flurry! Now as you can see by the pictures, not exactly feet of snow, but this is pretty awesome for down here. You can also see we are totally unprepared for snow, we are wearing multiple shirts and windbreakers, and I have socks on my daughters hands (who has mitts?)

My sister as we hop out of the car when first snow hits:

img_371022_0_c7c145b4437ba77b02906c3b960df1f9.jpg

Here's the hill I showed you guys last time and the previous pic, just a few weeks earlier:
SnowplayforTori089.jpg

img_371022_1_33dcb4ffa57a0ac3c05adb991dea4845.jpg

I wanted to show you true LBYM types what people do to avoid permits. This "house" on the left is the previous owners home, a 10' by 10' structure made of hay bales, rebar, and mud packed onto the inside and outside. On top he has a Geodesic dome covered in a thick, tarp-like cover as his second floor "sun room" (?)

SnowplayforTori103.jpg

And of course, no photo post of mine would be incomplete without showing Tori enjoy her first snow. Actually, she's not enjoying it that much, we didn't last long!

img_371022_2_975dca9ddb85067045b32ce3fbd2630c.jpg

Hi Laurence,

I believe it! We had snow up here (not at sea level though) as well!

Laurence said:
We just had our coldest winter storm in 5 years year in San Diego county.  So we packed up the extended family into our Jeep and our traction control Volvo and hauled out to my Parent's property I told y'all about a couple weeks back.
And you paid money for that weather?!?

That does it... I'm adding SD to my list of places I'll only visit in August & September...

That house is a hoot!!! Does it go with the property?

Laurence: I've been telling you folks for months that the apocalypse was coming. And the sky is falling too. Dang, nobody listens. :)

Outtahere said:
That house is a hoot!!!  Does it go with the property? 

Absolutely, we'll be staying in it when we start cleaning up the place and getting the fences mended and sight out the location for the house. The people who live on the property are quite interesting: if you've seen easy rider, remember the commune? Everybody is about chakras and energy lay lines and such, and they are self sufficent, I guess ER is possible for anyone, at any wealth level! Although I guess they have jobs, the category is subsistence farmer?

Ok, not as impressive as snow in San Diego, but we had snow here in Vancouver last week. Almost unhreard of in March in these days of global warming. Of course it didn't stick seaside where i live but there's still a little in the higher burbs...

I've decided this whole "global warming" thing isn't so good after all. Got sunburnt today after sitting out by the lake and roasting in 80+ degree weather here. Winter? Ha!

Laurence - Thanks for posting your "snow" pictures. :D
It was near 60 2 days ago here in Minnesota....it hailed this afternoon and now we're expecting 10 inches tonight.
Spring comes in 8 days somewhere in America....

Dantien and CT, I heard about your 60 degree weather. Nothing close to that where we are. Is it still snowing? I bugged out of Minneapolis yesterday with the snow chasing me north. It is still snowing here, but not close to 10 inches of accumlulation.

I've heard that sophisticated hay-bail houses can be pretty neat.

Are there a lot of mice in the walls?

Al I was just thinking the same thing but more on the likes of insects but mice would also find it a lovely abode.

Ew, I didn't think about that. I'll be afraid to go to sleep now!

On another note, did you know peacocks could fly? We have about a dozen on the property, and they were quite agitated, one hooted and flew over my head to perch in a tree. Kind of like an overloaded C-130, not graceful!

For the record, this property is at 2000 feet, so not right on the ocean, and while it's in San Diego county, SD county is BIG, so I don't want to leave the impression surfers were scraping snow off their boards! ;)

Still, that area never gets snow, so it was a big deal. Especially this late in the year. We had already had our first BBQ and beach trip!

Yep, theres quite a peacock population near sacramento. Ex girlfriend used to live in a neighborhood full of them. Came out of her house one morning and about 20 of them flew off the edge of her roof from right over my head and startled the pants off of me.

At least that was my story.

Peacocks are very loud too, not very nice to have as neighbors.

Martha said:
Dantien and CT, I heard about your 60 degree weather. Nothing close to that where we are. Is it still snowing? I bugged out of Minneapolis yesterday with the snow chasing me north. It is still snowing here, but not close to 10 inches of accumlulation.
Martha -
I measure 7 inches getting ready for my second snowblower shift. 8)
I can't believe they had a snow day for the local schools...my kids never had one day off for snow - will they be PO'd!

Martha said:
You got a snow day? :confused: Pussies.
Yeah, must be all the Californians and Hawaiians that have moved in lately and started whining from the get go ::)

DanTien said:
Yeah, must be all the Californians and Hawaiians that have moved in lately and started whining from the get go  ::)

Hey there little buddy, watch it or I'll stomp you with my Californian camel toe. ;)

cube_cat said:
Hey there little buddy, watch it or I'll stomp you with my Californian camel toe. ;)
:LOL: hey! get that toe out of here
Actually might do better riding a camel here today

Hehe. Martha said "pussies." I almost snarfed Mountain Dew out my nose.

71 degrees in central PA today.....39 tomorrow. *sigh*

Should make for some kick butt thunder tonight. I can't wait.

yelnad said:
71 degrees in central PA today.....39 tomorrow. *sigh*

Should make for some kick butt thunder tonight. I can't wait.

Where in central PA?  I was born & raised in Hollidaysburg (where every day is a holiday and Christmas is just another day).

I just called the temperature guy (936-1212) for the current temp, and it's currently 89 in Baltimore!  In the middle of March!  So yes, t-storms tonight, and 50's tomorrow.  But I smell spring comin'!

CJ

cj said:
Where in central PA? I was born & raised in Hollidaysburg (where every day is a holiday and Christmas is just another day).

I work in State College and live in the sticks about 23 miles from here.

Back
Top Bottom