Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

So, how many different organizations have you had?
Old 12-21-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

So, how many different organizations have you had?

Or, companies have you worked for?

Qualifiers, if I may:
1. need to be compensated for the work
2. after schooling
3. acquisitions count
4. large companies, divisional changes, new jobs count

Me, I'm working on my 16th in 32 years. Talk about a rolling stone.........
jime444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #2
Administrator

Only 4 companies for me after I graduated at age 22. DW worked for 7 but the last 3 were acquisitions.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Including consulting, 9 umbrella organizations. Plus my own company, makes 10. Too many "divisional changes" to count.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If you are talking real jobs, I worked for 2 companies. But the second one merged and changed names 5 times, so the total by your definition would be 6 in 27 years.

Edit: I missed the part about major divisional changes within the same company. I would update my number to 11 jobs in 6 companies by that definition, as I worked my way from mainframe to Unix to Security and finally the video lab.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three.

8 years, 16 years (1/2 time), 6 years and counting.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:18 AM   #6

In my ~27 years, I have worked at seven companies. And I have had a few of my own companies started.

That only counts in my professional life. Prior to graduating with my professional degree, I was in the USAF and worked for quite a few companies to pay for college or make extra money.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Borrowing harley's format: I worked for 4 companies (one for only two days), doing 9 separate and distinct jobs. But the fourth one went through four acquisitions, one merger, and changed names 2 times during the 27 years I worked there. The total by your definition would be...confusing .
Old 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
If you are talking real jobs, I worked for 2 companies. But the second one merged and changed names 5 times, so the total by your definition would be 6 in 27 years.

Edit: I missed the part about major divisional changes within the same company. I would update my number to 11 jobs in 6 companies by that definition, as I worked my way from mainframe to Unix to Security and finally the video lab.
Doh!! I also missed the bit about divisional changes so that would increase my number to 9.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

Actually only had two hire dates that followed me through thirty years. With acquisitions those two companies were owned by 8 different entities. 16 different titles over 30 years. So 24 total. This does not count board seats I held for various entities that my employer owned portions of.

My favorite..."Consultant" where I get paid not to compete with former company. Funniest thing....I have held that title longer than any other I had when I was actually working!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Four for me, three for DH.

DD (35) has one, DS (33) has four.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to be a dimwit, but depending on interpretation my answer is 1, 2, 4 or 9.

Barring an (unlikely) encore career, I worked for 2 corporations, but just 1 by my own definition. Worked for a Fortune 500 company for 17 years, until they joint ventured and later sold off our division to a mid-sized privately held company where I worked for another 17.5 years. Relocated to 4 states, promoted 9 times (very fortunate).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Baker's dozen!
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
gone traveling

Baker's dozen!

Edited - NOT baker's dozen - repeat companies.

1. Holdover college printing job with architect/developer after graduation.
2. Unqualified Controller for sub sandwich chain.
3. Security guard.
4. Fledgling accountant with tiny CPA firm.
5. Barely-qualified Controller for profanely abusive boss with woodworking company.
4. CPA with same tiny CPA firm during tax season.
6. Senior CPA with regional accounting firm.
7. Started own CPA firm.
1. Great Controller with same architect/developer and now property management company.
8. Accounting software consultant with bigger regional CPA firm.
9. Fantastic Controller (and "Number 1" like Jonathan Frakes) with smaller developer/property management company (left after "Captain Picard" tried to kill himself).
7. Offered Controller of construction company and Partner in CPA firm (now wealthy with either), but started own CPA firm, specializing in property management accounting software (got lazy instead of wealthy).
10. IT VP with property management REIT.

"Only" 10. Job-hopper!

No mas; no mas.
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Five after graduation.

The first three for about 2 years each. The fourth for 6 years. The fifth for 25 years....and it was actually 5, 6, and 7 because of two mergers/acquisitions.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Do (some) Board members scratch each others' backs?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
gone traveling

Do (some) Board members scratch each others' backs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
This does not count board seats I held for various entities that my employer owned portions of.
"Company #3" CEO gets on "Board #1" and approves a pay raise for the CEO of "Company #1." The "Company #1" CEO sits on "Board #2" and approves a pay raise for the CEO at "Company #2." That "Company #2" CEO sits on "Board #3" and guess who gets a raise at "Company #3?"

Fact or fiction? Baseless innuendo or common practice?
Texconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Administrator

This is a fun topic, let's keep it on track...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

2 companies. First one for 7 years. Second one 33 years.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

After college, only three really distinct jobs. First was ~9 years, second was ~1.5 years and the last was a hair over 25. The first and third jobs each experienced a merger while i was there, so technically five.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

1) Big 8 CPA firm 3 years
2) national CPA firm 6 years
3) local CPA firm 2 1/2 years
4) private family office 23 1/2 years in July when I retire.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #19

After schooling, 3 although I am on my second go with the one I started with after leaving 15 years earlier so maybe 4. Add 3 more if you include residency and fellowship training.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Since college:
Company A - laid off after 3 years.
Company B - left fleeing after 3 years of horrid management
Company C - left after they laid off all my friends and coworkers and I lost faith in management.
Company D - left after 3 months - learned a valuable lesson to not jump from fire to frying pan.
Company E - Left after 18 months
Company C* - had recently split into 3 companies and changed names. But returned to same group I left.
Company C** - 4 months. In the split up they took a dud name - and changed the name back back to the original name. Only change for me was payroll.
Company C*** - 3 years this fortune 500 company was bought by a fortune 100 company.
Company C**** - 9 years - company split in two.
Company C***** - 2 years - we were sold to a company with a great rep as an employer - but we were held as a "wholly owned subsidiary"... so we received none of the famous perks.
Company C****** - my division of the wholly owned subsidiary was sold to a company 1/4 of our size.

So company C was a roller coaster. 7 corporate names... 20 years of tenure with them though.

My tally would be 5 companies -with the last one for 20 years. With all the corporate mergers/acquisitions/spin offs/divestitures.... It's 12 companies.

One job change in there that doesn't fit your definition - I moved from the east coast to the west coast - same company, but different group. Definitely had to interview and prove myself like I was starting a new job... but kept the tenure/vesting/knowledge of product that I already had.