So long, 3DTV - we won't miss you

Alan

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
The article also has a picture of the Queen wearing 3D goggles, with the caption "One is moderately entertained..."

So long, 3DTV - we won't miss you - BBC News

If there’s one thing history has taught us: technology fails if using it makes you look like a plonker.

This week we learned that both LG and Sony have now stopped making 3D-enabled televisions. The firms follow Samsung - the world’s biggest TV maker - who confirmed the move last year. It means there are currently no major manufacturers making 3DTVs.
At this year’s CES trade show, there was barely a whimper of 3D TV, compared to just two years ago when it was being heralded as the next big thing.

No surprise. Gimmicks never seem to tend to last very long. Avatar was amazing in 3D, but I can't think of anything else that really stands out in the 60-70 years the technology has been out.

I wonder how long the curved TVs will be around for next.

Hopefully 3D goes the same way on the large screen. Other than a gimmick to add $5 to the price of a ticket I haven't seen a benefit in very many movies and in some the effects are just distracting.

If you want to do 3D properly you need an image for each eye. Like the VR headsets or the google pixel or other smart phones set for this. The pixel has too much screen door effect, so you also need a higher res screen as your eye is really close.

The effect is amazing because it's done correctly. Each eye has a slightly different angle and the brain decodes the depth.

3D glasses (and 3D TVs as well) trigger nausea in many people, some studies peg the number at greater than 50%. Reportedly a higher percentage of women than men are so impacted.

3D glasses (and 3D TVs as well) trigger nausea in many people, some studies peg the number at greater than 50%. Reportedly a higher percentage of women than men are so impacted.

Add my wife to the nausea list.

Not something I'm likely to miss. I like many of the advances in home video, such as large screen TVs, high definition programming, DVDs and now streaming. It's about content, and unfortunately for the 3D manufacturers and early buyers, content wasn't enough. I'm guessing curved screens will follow.

Besides, I am not wearing funny (and uncomfortable) glasses to watch tv.

No surprise. Gimmicks never seem to tend to last very long. Avatar was amazing in 3D, but I can't think of anything else that really stands out in the 60-70 years the technology has been out.

+1 on the curved TV....

In my house it would make zero difference.... now, once you get to a 200 inch TV and sit 3 feet from it it might make a difference.... but then it is only good for one user...

Those curved ones are too small, and if you are sitting at a bit of an angle, then the curve closest to you makes everything worse. I guess the view is ok if you sit in the middle of the room :confused:

Hopefully 3D goes the same way on the large screen. Other than a gimmick to add $5 to the price of a ticket I haven't seen a benefit in very many movies and in some the effects are just distracting.

Anywhere I've been, 3D tickets are double the price.

I generally agree but I have another positive example besides Avatar: in the late 90-ies, our family toured a chocolate factory in Broc, Switzerland. The factory/town is located in a valley and permanently sits in this this heavenly chocolate aroma. Now,, against that background, picture the 3D promotional/instructional movie at the start of the tour, and imagine, feeling immersed in a tub of chocolate for 30 minutes straight - unforgettable! :smitten:

I generally agree but I have another positive example besides Avatar: in the late 90-ies, our family toured a chocolate factory in Broc, Switzerland. The factory/town is located in a valley and permanently sits in this this heavenly chocolate aroma. Now,, against that background, picture the 3D promotional/instructional movie at the start of the tour, and imagine, feeling immersed in a tub of chocolate for 30 minutes straight - unforgettable! :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom