Join Early Retirement Today

So our grandchildren become real SOFT!!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
gone traveling

So our grandchildren become real SOFT!!

http://www.yahoo.com/s/418158

Who are these people who change the rules and make this $hit up??

American boys are going to have to be a whole lot tougher since the draft will be back when these elementary kids are 18 and fighting the terrorists in the Middle east!

<Moderator edit. Newguy I'm often on your side politically, but geez, even I'm getting offended!>
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: So our grandchildren become real SOFT!!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you can blame this one, at least partially, on the glut of personal injury lawyers who will sue anyone for anything.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SOmeone needs some quaaludes with his coffee...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
SOmeone needs some quaaludes with his coffee...
I never liked them however my college girlfriend did wonderful things when she took them.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
http://www.yahoo.com/s/418158

American boys are going to have to be a whole lot tougher since the draft will be back when these elementary kids are 18 and fighting the animals in the Middle east!
Worse yet . . . how are the little buggers ever going to learn to play lacrosse?
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My sis sent me this, from her kids' school (bolding mine):

Quote:
Q: What should my child wear to Picture Day?

Our photography looks best when your child wears colorful clothes that are neat and comfortable. Their portraits could potentially show most of the upper torso and even the tops of legs, so be sure they wear an outfit that is appropriate for this composition. Hats are not allowed, and if they wear a hat to school on Picture Day remember that their hairstyle could be affected by it. Keep in mind that our photographers are not permitted to make physical contact with the children, and therefore will not be able to fix their hair, straighten jackets, etc. If you have specific style requests, please tell our photographer on Picture Day.
What an insane world...
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I think you can blame this one, at least partially, on the glut of personal injury lawyers who will sue anyone for anything.
Or parents who go looking for the PI lawyers.

The article says: "What we require is that children do not touch each other."

How sad. Adults talking to children is now bad too. Children are learning to distrust each other and to distrust adults. How will they develop social skills? They become isolated littled princes and princesses until they reach adulthood, when they get thrown to the dogs.

I remember our grade school teachers who were these wonderful old finnish women. You fell on the playground, they would pick you up, brush you off, and give you a hug. No more, I guess.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 PM   #8

My DW and I walk extensively in both the morning and afternoon. See the school buses and the kids waiting and getting off. If you say good morning, hi or good afternoon DO NOT expect even a look or much less a reply from virtually all of them. I have seen this thoughout the US. It is really a shame you get a better response from the dogs being walked and even the deer you encounter every once in a while.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Surely I'm not hearing that a little molestation is an acceptable consequence of encouraging friendlier, more trusting children... I think childhood paranoia isn't such a bad thing when neighbors are strangers.

Quote:
American boys are going to have to be a whole lot tougher since the draft will be back when these elementary kids are 18 and fighting the animals in the Middle east!
Newguy, you mentioned that you were going to try to tone this stuff down. That doesn't seem to be working for you. Maybe you'd find a more receptive audience at Morningstar's Politics discussion board?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Surely I'm not hearing that a little molestation is an acceptable consequence of encouraging friendlier, more trusting children... I think childhood paranoia isn't such a bad thing when neighbors are strangers.
Newguy, you mentioned that you were going to try to tone this stuff down. That doesn't seem to be working for you. Maybe you'd find a more receptive audience at Morningstar's Politics discussion board?
Hey now nords I just callem as I seeum.

I know I get a little wacked sometimes, but I mean no harm.

Bear with me will ya?
Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Wow.....

We played tackle football when I was in junior high...

Also, kill the man with the ball.. bomb bardment... and a few others..

And basketball was a contact sport where I grew up.. not that I was good at it.. but my team did win intermurials..
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:41 AM   #12

This is kind of a boring thread now. I see the moderators circled the wagons though. I guess I needed protection. I am quite fragile. What did you say, newguy? PM me please.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:15 AM   #13

I wasn't offended by newguy.. I think he's kinda right. America wants to have it both ways.. make sure no one is ever in harm's way.. until we decide we need to kick some serious butt. Have you seen the playgrounds lately? No swings. God forbid someone would have to watch out for a swing swinging at you.

Hallowe'en? a 3pm party at someone's house.. BOOORING! When we were growing up it was great! We had the run of the neighborhood, and nothing happened.. just at some point the FEAR of something happening became more important than the banal reality and took over: started out with the urban myth of the apples with razor blades.. poisoned candy (the instances of death by poisoned candy were found to have been either: the kid ingesting a controlled substance and then the family putting it on the candy to deflect blame, OR the father intentionally poisoning his own kid!).

And, in the end, it becomes a kind of a chicken/egg thing.. do you not talk to neighbors because they are strangers, or are the neighbors strangers because you don't talk to them?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Or parents who go looking for the PI lawyers.

I remember our grade school teachers who were these wonderful old finnish women. You fell on the playground, they would pick you up, brush you off, and give you a hug. No more, I guess.
Hugging a child can be used against a teacher by a vindictive principal, as well. My former FIL had this happen to him -- he hugged a child, and then spent several weeks being investigated by the police, who had been called by the principal. The principal was trying to force my FFIL to retire early (a young teacher was much cheaper and this was a time of steep budget cuts), and this was one way of harrassing him. Eventually, it worked.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:55 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Why is Newguy getting the PC finger wagged at him on this one? I'm so liberal I glow pink but I join him in disliking this risk averse nonsense. I certainly don't see this as a particularly controversial post.

Having said that, let me join in the <griping>: I worry that the PI lawyers coupled with the risk averse nanny culture we seem to be developing will end up constraining all of our opportnities. The insurance company will tell Nords to put away his board if he wants to keep his health insurance. I will have to give up scuba, windsurfing and skiing. Gimme a break. And let the kids get in a scuffle now and then for God's sake.
</griping>
Pinko hat back on

Addendum now that my pinko hat is back on: I just noticed the "animals" comment. That is pretty disgusting Newguy. You could make your point by saying "terrorists" instead of "animals." (Got my period in the right place I think).
Old 10-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Why is Newguy getting the PC finger wagged at him on this one? I'm so liberal I glow pink but I join him in disliking this risk averse nonsense. I certainly don't see this as a particularly controversial post.

Having said that, let me join in the <griping>: I worry that the PI lawyers coupled with the risk averse nanny culture we seem to be developing will end up constraining all of our opportnities. The insurance company will tell Nords to put away his board if he wants to keep his health insurance. I will have to give up scuba, windsurfing and skiing. Gimme a break. And let the kids get in a scuffle now and then for God's sake.
</griping>
Pinko hat back on

Addendum now that my pinko hat is back on: I just noticed the "animals" comment. That is pretty disgusting Newguy. You could make your point by saying "terrorists" instead of "animals." (Got my period in the right place I think).
Yes the animal thing gets people all riled up. Look I have a hard time watching muslims cut heads off humans. Period, heck I lean so far left my republican inlaws walk away from me on holidays. That is a plus NO?

Anyway I started this topic yesterday after we had a bull$hit memo at my high school about dodgeball and team handball. Even so my inner city high school which I will be leaving dec 22is now being told NOT to have students participate in those activities.

it is nuts. But we will need these boys young men to fight for oil and other things like the terrorists and do ya think the terrorrists are having their mothers and fathers say watch out you might get hurt??

Americans need to wake up
Old 10-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #17

I agree, newguy, it IS nuts.

But I cringe at calling human beings animals as an epithet, OK maybe certain individuals who seem to have burned their human-race card (beheaders). Let's not group all Middle Easterners into a subhuman category--it certainly isn't deserved.

ASIDE
Most Americans were extremely upset by Timothy McVeigh blowing up a govt building, the Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski) blowing up high tech workers/thinkers, and school shootings by white males, but we don't hear all white men being called animals. That seems to be reserved for non-whites, non-Christians, or those of non-Nordic descent. As a female of Italian, Jewish (Middle Eastern, eh), and Slavic descent, I take it personal.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 PM   #18

"mid east animals" comment aside, it does seem awfully silly to not allow children to play tag... gimme a break.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #19

Quote:
American boys are going to have to be a whole lot tougher since the draft will be back when these elementary kids are 18 and fighting the terrorists in the Middle east!
Isn't that the purpose of boot camp?

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:19 PM   #20

Lets face it... the root of the problem is we have a double standard.
We want our kid to have the right to beat on other kids. But the minute some other kid touches my kid, then we have a lawsuit. Can't have it both ways. Choose one or the other.
dmpi is offline   Reply With Quote