Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
My neighbor has eaten marmot with indigenous folks that live above 10,000'. They worked around the cleaning issues with creative cleaning, cooking, and eating techniques.

Basically they remove the entrails, fill the cavity with hot rocks. Then stitch the critter back together and put its hairy backside in the fire to burn and singe the hair off! The feast starts when the whistle pig is declared done by an elder. They eat the pig from the inside out, so no one's dealing with the hairs!

Sounds good to me. I would not hesitate to try (and enjoy) a meal of marmot cooked like that!
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2019, 07:54 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I think you may have missed the spelling on "outliers". You seem to be spelling it with an A rather than an E.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:56 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

What we do. Close the drapes and act like nobody's home. Eventually he'll go away.

zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago we had a woodchuck we wanted to get rid of. Used a large Havahart trap and relocated it (I've since learned this is not legal in my area).

I watched what plants they were eating, and used what appeared to be their favorite as bait. Violets. Dug them, potted them in a shallow tray, placed them in the back of the trap, and had no trouble catching the woodchuck. (We had a rather weedy lawn, and the violets were easy to come by).
gettingthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:21 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
What we do. Close the drapes and act like nobody's home. Eventually he'll go away.

He's way too comfortable IMO, don't underestimate what damage they can do....I'm hoping you were joking...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #66

The saga continues.

I know that he/she/it is still here because he/she/it buried the repellent stuff I spread around the burrow. Didn't really expect that would work anyway. The two live traps (Havahart) arrived today from Amazon. One is the cheaper single entry and the other is the luxury two-entry version. The directions suggest leaving them outside where you intend to put them, but not set, for a couple of days to let the animal(s) get acclimated to it. I intend to put some food, apple slices and cantaloupe slices, nearby but not inside the traps to (hopefully) make them associate those funny-looking wire thingys with yummy food. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. While handling them I did wear some new disposable gloves to hopefully keep my scent off them - some people seem to think that helps too. Can't hurt.

And without even reading the directions I figured out how to set and spring the traps. Nice to know that I'm smarter than a rodent.

Well, we'll see. By most accounts they can be difficult to capture.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Nice to know that I'm smarter than a rodent.
But, as Yogi says (Not Berra) are you "smarter than the average bear"?

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 PM   #68

Here's an interesting page on it:

WHAT KIND OF BAIT TO CATCH A GROUNDHOG?

Quote:
Bait is not important. Trap placement and set is more important. Set the trap on the normal runway between burrow and entrance to your garden, for example, and line the bottom of the trap with grass to make it look natural. If you must use bait, the best bait is fresh vegetables: broccoli, peas, corn, etc.

The challenge with choosing bait is that animals, like people, will have a preference when it comes to taste, and one food that proves irresistible to one groundhog may not be as successful with another animal. Some of the most successful vegetables that can be used as groundhog bait include peas, lettuce sweetcorn and string beans, while fruits such as cantaloupe, strawberries and beaches are also popular.

While bait can help to decide whether or not a groundhog trap is successful, the location of the trap is an even more important part of the trapping process. It is best to locate the trap around six feet away from the entry hole to the burrow,
Old 06-26-2019, 04:49 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Here's an interesting page on it:

WHAT KIND OF BAIT TO CATCH A GROUNDHOG?
I'd seen that page somewhere else, evidence that plagiarism runs rampant on the Internet. Who knew?

For now I'm going to go with apples and cantaloupe simply because that's what I have on hand and it's been suggested. If it's still there in the morning I'll conclude he's turned up his nose at it and stop by the grocery store on the way home from the gym tomorrow and hope to find something more suitable for the discerning groundhog palate.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I've never trapped a groundhog but years ago we were overrun by moles. The Only thing that worked was the spring loaded spike of death type, which no one said worked. Somewhere I found a little book a guy wrote on moles and their behavior. He then used the behavior to identify how to set the "spike of death" traps and it worked! I mean I was suddenly overrun by dead moles.

So you need to think like the groundhog. Why would that groundhog bury the repellent? Maybe you have insulted him? An apple might set things right.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #71

Quote:
So you need to think like the groundhog. Why would that groundhog bury the repellent? Maybe you have insulted him? An apple might set things right.
Why do I suddenly have visions of "Caddyshack"? I think you need to hire Carl, the groundskeeper.
Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #72

Quote:
The saga continues.

The directions suggest leaving them outside where you intend to put them, but not set, for a couple of days to let the animal(s) get acclimated to it. I intend to put some food, apple slices and cantaloupe slices, nearby but not inside the traps to (hopefully) make them associate those funny-looking wire thingys with yummy food. At least that's the way it's supposed to work. While handling them I did wear some new disposable gloves to hopefully keep my scent off them - some people seem to think that helps too. Can't hurt.

Well, we'll see. By most accounts they can be difficult to capture.

They're not all that difficult to capture, in my experience. I'd set your traps right away, using apple slices in one, and cantaloupe in the other. Put the traps a short distance from an area where it looks like they travel frequently, not right on top of the burrow entrance. Then wait. They will smell the bait right away, and either go right in, or avoid it for a couple days, while they try to figure out what the trap is. But eventually, they should go in. Just remember to keep the trap set only during daylight hours (not at night). Otherwise, you run the risk of catching other unwanted critters (think skunks and racoons).
Old 06-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #73

Quote:
I've never trapped a groundhog but years ago we were overrun by moles. The Only thing that worked was the spring loaded spike of death type, which no one said worked.
The urban neighborhood I lived in about 30 years ago had moles in everyone's back yard. We discovered the most effective detector was our cat. I just had to watch the cat and when it alerted on something it would stare straight down into the grass, moving an inch or two at a time because she apparently could hear the mole. When I saw that I went out and plunged a pitchfork into the lawn where the cat was looking and that was the end of it. The cat immediately lost interest (because the mole was dead).
Old 06-26-2019, 05:04 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

They are stupid, dont worry about gloves or not setting the trap, set and bait.
I take them for a ride and let them out in country., cover the trap if you catch one with a towel if you catch one.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:52 PM   #75

Quote:
I'd seen that page somewhere else, evidence that plagiarism runs rampant on the Internet. Who knew?

For now I'm going to go with apples and cantaloupe simply because that's what I have on hand and it's been suggested. If it's still there in the morning I'll conclude he's turned up his nose at it and stop by the grocery store on the way home from the gym tomorrow and hope to find something more suitable for the discerning groundhog palate.
Groundhogs are diurnal - just like most people, they sleep at night.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Well, yes.

But unlike groundhogs, I am NOT awake at dawn.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 PM   #77

I see mine all throughout the daytime, but maybe yours is an early riser
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Fast scan, misread the thread title as: what kind of plumber grounhogs like.
Never mind, carry on.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:41 PM   #79

Quote:
Well, yes.

But unlike groundhogs, I am NOT awake at dawn.

No need to be awake at dawn. Just set the trap by mid/late morning if possible.. Most of the groundhogs I trapped this year (and I trapped 5) were caught in the afternoon or early evening. Unless you enjoy dealing with skunks or racoons in your trap, you will want to close it before dark........trust me on that one
Old 06-27-2019, 05:31 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I learned that if I cut back on liquids before bedtime I rarely get up at night!
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote