So, what's for dinner at your place tonight?

Udon (soup) loaded up with shredded veggies and a frozen egg roll. Not quite fast food, but close.

Where in the world were all of these guys that cook such great meals 30 years ago?!
Oh wait, I guess they were in diapers. :duh:

The late SO had a word for that - Lake food(toss out the back door into Lake Ponchartrain).

I did have a lot of cook books and she had a telephone - she'd call and I'd go pick up.

heh heh heh - one can experiment with different hobbies - and then move on. :rolleyes:. I was good at driving for pizza, Chinese, Po-boys, Popeyes, etc.

Tonight: pasta primavera (with soba noodles for the pasta) with a splash of soy sauce and sesame seed oil.

DW came up with a dish that knocked my socks off tonight.

She took eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise, fried lightly in bread crumbs. Then each slice was rolled around motcorella [sp] cheese and baked for about 30 minutes. It is then served with a killer marranera [sp] sauce. (Sorry, these Italian words are killing me. I love the food, but I don't know the language.)

I ate two, but I could have eaten twice as many. Yum.

Oh, that is too funny Tightasadrum. I made the same thing, only had eggplant "circles". I put some ricotta cheese on a layer of the eggplant, then more eggplant, added a jar of Ragu and gobs of parmesan cheese.

and oh yeah, garlic.

:smitten:

Grilled fish salad with a dab of guacamole and a chocolate bar. :D

Ah hah tightasadrum...that was on Rachel Rays show a day or two ago...well...maybe more, we have a tivo...

bbbami - Cooking isnt what worked 30 years ago. We danced. We had winged hairdos. We had white polyester leisure suits with pastel tee shirts. We has special electric beard trimmers that left us with the perfect two day stubble. We had the "good dope" while others had the crap that'd just give you a headache.

Times change, motivation changes, the hot stuff changes...

DW came up with a dish that knocked my socks off tonight.

She took eggplant, thinly sliced lengthwise, fried lightly in bread crumbs. Then each slice was rolled around motcorella [sp] cheese and baked for about 30 minutes. It is then served with a killer marranera [sp] sauce. (Sorry, these Italian words are killing me. I love the food, but I don't know the language.)

I ate two, but I could have eaten twice as many. Yum.

tightasadrum,

This sounds delicious. I'd love to make it but I can't figure out what cheese your DW used. I tried googling and checked out some online cheese stores for Italian cheeses, but nothing I found sounds close to "motcorella" (unless it's mozzarella?). :confused:

Any chance you can confirm which cheese she used?

TIA,

omni

Stuffed and Rolled Eggplant Marinara

2 servings olive oil cooking spray (2 seconds of spray)
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
6 ounces tomato paste
5 pounds tomatoes, blanched and peeled
10 basil leaves, shredded into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces parmesan cheese
2 large eggplants, peeled
1 ounce parsley, chopped fine
1 pound ricotta cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose wheat flour
2 egg substitutes, prepared
2 servings olive oil cooking spray
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
4 ounces parmesan cheese
For marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a frying pan coated with cooking spray and sauté garlic. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with shredded basil. Add pepper and grated cheese to taste. Remove from heat. For stuffed eggplant: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Stir parsley into ricotta and set aside. Slice peeled eggplants lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and allow to "sweat" for 10 minutes. Dip in egg substitute, dredge in cracker meal, and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until tender. Place a mozzarella slice and a scoop of ricotta in the middle of each eggplant slice. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a baking pan coated lightly with cooking spray. Cover with marinara sauce. Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Allow to set up before serving. Garnish with parsley and grated cheese.

bbbami - Cooking isnt what worked 30 years ago. We danced. We had winged hairdos. We had white polyester leisure suits with pastel tee shirts. We has special electric beard trimmers that left us with the perfect two day stubble. We had the "good dope" while others had the crap that'd just give you a headache.

Times change, motivation changes, the hot stuff changes...

Oh wow, that was you?! :eek: :D

Stuffed and Rolled Eggplant Marinara

2 servings olive oil cooking spray (2 seconds of spray)
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
6 ounces tomato paste
5 pounds tomatoes, blanched and peeled
10 basil leaves, shredded into small pieces
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 ounces parmesan cheese
2 large eggplants, peeled
1 ounce parsley, chopped fine
1 pound ricotta cheese
1/2 cup all-purpose wheat flour
2 egg substitutes, prepared
2 servings olive oil cooking spray
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced thin
4 ounces parmesan cheese
For marinara sauce: Heat olive oil in a frying pan coated with cooking spray and sauté garlic. Stir in tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with shredded basil. Add pepper and grated cheese to taste. Remove from heat. For stuffed eggplant: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Stir parsley into ricotta and set aside. Slice peeled eggplants lengthwise in 1/4-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and allow to "sweat" for 10 minutes. Dip in egg substitute, dredge in cracker meal, and bake for 10 - 15 minutes, or until tender. Place a mozzarella slice and a scoop of ricotta in the middle of each eggplant slice. Roll up and place, seam side down, in a baking pan coated lightly with cooking spray. Cover with marinara sauce. Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Allow to set up before serving. Garnish with parsley and grated cheese.

Sounds YUMMY!

Thanks, CFB.

Sounds like it makes a lot...maybe I'll need to cut the ingredients by half?

omni

(PS: Note to T-AL -- another entry for the RE Recipe Book.)

tightasadrum,

This sounds delicious. I'd love to make it but I can't figure out what cheese your DW used. I tried googling and checked out some online cheese stores for Italian cheeses, but nothing I found sounds close to "motcorella" (unless it's mozzarella?). :confused:

Any chance you can confirm which cheese she used?

TIA,

omni

What do I know? I just eat the stuff, and it WAS delicious. Checked with DW, the cheese she used was ricotta, not mozzarella, with grated parmesan mixed in. She's trying to lose a pound or two, so the attempt was to do it with a little less fat. Worked for me, and I usually end up losing the weight.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of the posters here eat very well.

Yes, got to be mozzarella.

We've been having some great slow-cooker porks roasts lately, and I've discovered that one key is, after browning the meat, make sure to have enough liquid to have the roast totally submerged.

Yes, got to be mozzarella.

We've been having some great slow-cooker porks roasts lately, and I've discovered that one key is, after browning the meat, make sure to have enough liquid to have the roast totally submerged.

Verboten!!

Maybe 0.5c of agua, cook on low; don't overcook...

IMHO, of course... :angel:

Haddock filets poached in a vegetable broth, served with boiled potatoes, braised fennel bulbs, homemade low-fat tartar sauce and homemade crunchy french baguette. Oh, and a couple of glasses of wine.

Oh wow, that was you?! :eek: :D

No, but I was watching it as a teenager and hoping to hell it was all over and we'd moved onto something else by the time I was old enough to have to implement the style du jour.

It was power suits, expensive sunglasses and being one of the first on your block with a car phone when I landed. That worked for me.

Sounds YUMMY!

Thanks, CFB.

Sounds like it makes a lot...maybe I'll need to cut the ingredients by half?

Easily frozen and reheated in the oven...be a bit mushy in the microwave. Hold the sauce until its reheated.

This is one of those dishes I'll get when eating out rather than making it at home since its a little labor intensive. But if you're gonna make it, I'd make the whole batch and get two meals out of it. One now and one in 2 weeks.

Better get those $125 running shoes out. ;)

That's for sure. I was up 2 pounds the following morning! :eek: Hopefully it was from copious salt applied to the onion rings. At any rate, I plan to work out today and tomorrow after work and take care of that little problem. :duh:

Last night was homemade beef stew... My DW can really make a killer stew. She started with a good pot roast, and cut it into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Floured and browned the beef in a little oil in the bottom of a large dutch oven, then added finely chopped onion, garlic, sauteed until onion is transparent. Added about 4 cups of water, bay leaf, worchestershre sauce, black pepper, a little salt, cooked until the beef was tender. Added carrots, potatoes, chunked onions, cooked some more until the veggies were tender. Added a bag of frozen peas at the end, and thickened the broth to make a gravy. Hot yeast rolls, and a couple of Newcastles, and that's good eats!

Tonight: crock pot cabbage and local farm bratwurst with carrots celery onion garlic tomatoes rice and wheat berries and sprigs of homegrown thyme and oregano.

Braised red cabbage with smoked ham, three kinds of sausages w/whole grain mustard, gold mashed potatoes with roast garlic.

Sorry, another lazy comfort meal. I spent all day digging up leaky irrigation pipes buried an inch below the sod and installing microdrains around my patio and basketball court.

Back
Top Bottom