Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow, great house!
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Thanks. I'm getting senile I remember that now. Lol
It is not your fault! We are so slow I had almost forgotten we were building a house myself.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I always wanted a house with that kind of viewing area (whatever that's called). So, now we're in a concrete egg-crate condo building - but it has a great view from the 15th floor. Enjoy!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
40 feet up in the air, 92 degree day (well I quit at noon lol)

Ah, retired life.
At that height you plan on convection AC?
Old 08-09-2022, 02:04 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have tried to describe a house like this to my wife for a number of years. Now I can show her what I'm talking about. Hopefully, if your comfortable, it would be neat to see the inside of the look out area.
upupandaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
I have tried to describe a house like this to my wife for a number of years. Now I can show her what I'm talking about. Hopefully, if your comfortable, it would be neat to see the inside of the look out area.
Sure, when we clean up a bit I will take some shots of the tower top room. it has a 12 foot ceiling due to the features of the mansard roof and each dormer looks out in a cardinal direction. From the west dormer we have view of the west part of our town and the mountains (even can see the tip top of a mountain pass that still has snow on it in June). From the south dormer we have a view of more mountains and the middle of town down below (house is on a hill). East side is a street view and North side is up the hill toward another mountain.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I was only 13' off the ground when I fell off a ladder and broke both legs. Now I'm limited to 8' step ladders.

You are lucky! DW will not let me get on a 4 foot one.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I always wanted a house with that kind of viewing area (whatever that's called). So, now we're in a concrete egg-crate condo building - but it has a great view from the 15th floor. Enjoy!
Its funny. I find I do not love views from higher than say 6-8 floors.

But I am sure it is beautiful!

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
To each their own but to me "retired life" would be paying someone else to do that things I hate or cannot do myself while I watched from a recliner.
+1, with my edits in bold above

IMHO, one of the best aspects of early retirement is having the time to explore new and interesting DIY-type things that challenge me to learn and expand my range of knowledge and skills.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:25 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is not your fault! We are so slow I had almost forgotten we were building a house myself.
LOL!!
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:05 AM   #31
gone traveling

Now the mystery question, is there an elevator inside to get to the top?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:58 AM   #32

Quote:
sometimes I look up at it and think...we built this entirely ourselves.
We built our home back in 2004 and I STILL get that feeling. How on earth did we build this home ourselves. As I look around the house I can remember doing each step (having pics and video helps too), but as a whole it doesn't seem possible.

Your home is looking great. Love the tower, very unique. Although, it does look a little tight between the tower and the left dormer. Installing shingles, siding, and gutters in that little area must be fun. I'm glad our home is only one story. Working at heights just makes everything that much more difficult. We have a few steep roofs on the house and garage and just keeping tools in place is a pain. Let alone trying to work without sliding off.

Be safe!
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 01:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I was only 13' off the ground when I fell off a ladder and broke both legs. Now I'm limited to 8' step ladders.
Indeed. I have a friend who lost her father to a fall off a ladder when he was 52. At 57, I have become averse to ladders. Not that I won't or don't use them but there there is a lot of anxiety over that transition to the roof from an extension ladder. Physically I don't have any issues and have done it routinely all my life for home maintenance. But my head gets the best of me a lot more these days!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Nice progress from the last picture I saw.

I hear you, it took us over two years to build our house. We moved-in once the inside was ready and finished the outside while living there.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:36 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I guess an update is in order. We got the tower finished before the snow hit (now everything is under a couple inches of white). We are slowly working on the inside electrical (actually we have it all hooked up ready for electrical inspection to get power but the inspector doesn't come out this far very often and I am having a hard time getting a return call). I am unsure if Avista will be able to hook up power at all if it snows more, since we want it underground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg housetower.jpg (363.8 KB, 85 views)
Old 11-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Beautiful construction and kudos to you for doing the work. I go on our 2 story roof, but I have to admit it. It made me nervous looking at the scaffolding and definitely the ladder on the scaffolding. Lol

What are the plans for the tower room? Will it be a second living room, game room, observatory?
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:58 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

looking good!
Old 11-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #38

nope
Old 11-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
Beautiful construction and kudos to you for doing the work. I go on our 2 story roof, but I have to admit it. It made me nervous looking at the scaffolding and definitely the ladder on the scaffolding. Lol

What are the plans for the tower room? Will it be a second living room, game room, observatory?
The middle room in the tower is going to be a game room. The top floor (has 12 foot ceiling!) probably just a reading room, maybe with a telescope since we have windows in all 4 directions and can see the whole town below and the mountains.

But thanks for that, now I want to build an actual dome type observatory
Old 11-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Look great, this one reason why I want to retire before 60, always like building/working on stuff.
SJhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote