Join Early Retirement Today

Social Media Redux
Old 11-21-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Social Media Redux

Have you ever wondered how a teenager will look back on today?

Ipods/pads, 24/6 connects to Facebook, Twitter, Texting, Acronyms - not words, handheld life....

Take a trip back to the 1970's... Do you remember?

23 channels of very important information, and how we spent our on-the-road time.

"Breaker, Breaker.. Breaker 19, this is Night Owl... Chevy 2, You got a copy?"
"Breaker one nine... Chevy 2, you got your ears on?"

"This is Chevy2... calling Night Owl... How do you read me?

"Chevy 2, you got the Night Owl... I read you five by five"

"Roger that, Night Owl, drop 'er down to Oh Seven... for a bear report at Marker 152"
.................................................. ...................
$119.95 bought you a Cobra, and another $12 that stick on trunk antenna.
Channel nine for emergencies, and for the curious, a trip down to channel 3 or 4 might bring a "skip" from somewhere in North Carolina, to listen to a guy who would talk to the world... and where you could pick up that famous southern drawl that turned you into the sheriff in "Smokey".
That half hour ride to work became a part of the "Convoy", and if you left at the same time every day, you could connect to "Betty Boop", who was commuting at the same time... and try to imagine what that sweet voice connected to. "Was that her in the green Dodge Charger that you just passed?"
On the longer trips, you listened for gas prices and chatted the 18 wheelers...
and learned about government mile markers, Bears in the Air, and talked about how the channels were being monitored by the government, to find and punish those who used foul language...

So now, we have You Tube, Circles, Itunes, and Dick Tracy wrist computers.
Everyone talks and texts in abbreviations, 7 year old kids know about going incognito, and the socio/economic level is measured by the latest Gold IPhone.

Hmmm... What goes around, comes around...

Whaddya think we'll be doing ten years from now
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

oh yes!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember when I was a kid (maybe 7 years old) my dad had the CB radio and I thought it was the neatest thing in the world. My dad's handle was "sawdust" (he liked woodworking) and he'd just get on there and start chatting with people he didn't know and seemed like they were buddies by the time they were done talking about nothing in some foreign code. My dad said I could try but that I should be prepared with a handle. I remember how nervous I was about talking into this thing. The first person that got on the other end of course asked me my handle and I blurted out "golden turkey." I'll never forget the trucker's reaction... he laughed and said, "well you sound like a turkey, young feller." That ended my future in CB radio. I was sad for a week.

No idea where we'll be 10 years from now, but despite my bad experience I think I'd prefer going back to those days!
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

We have an older van that belonged to the owner of a trucking company. My grandson asked, "Was grandpa a cop?" I said, "No, what makes you ask?" and he pointed to the CB.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Earlier... (sigh)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smokey_and_the_bandit_650x3.jpg (119.2 KB, 4 views)
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Have you ever wondered how a teenager will look back on today?

Ipods/pads, 24/6 connects to Facebook, Twitter, Texting, Acronyms - not words, handheld life....

Take a trip back to the 1970's... Do you remember?

23 channels of very important information, and how we spent our on-the-road time.

"Breaker, Breaker.. Breaker 19, this is Night Owl... Chevy 2, You got a copy?"
"Breaker one nine... Chevy 2, you got your ears on?"

"This is Chevy2... calling Night Owl... How do you read me?

"Chevy 2, you got the Night Owl... I read you five by five"

"Roger that, Night Owl, drop 'er down to Oh Seven... for a bear report at Marker 152"
.................................................. ...................
$119.95 bought you a Cobra, and another $12 that stick on trunk antenna.
Channel nine for emergencies, and for the curious, a trip down to channel 3 or 4 might bring a "skip" from somewhere in North Carolina, to listen to a guy who would talk to the world... and where you could pick up that famous southern drawl that turned you into the sheriff in "Smokey".
That half hour ride to work became a part of the "Convoy", and if you left at the same time every day, you could connect to "Betty Boop", who was commuting at the same time... and try to imagine what that sweet voice connected to. "Was that her in the green Dodge Charger that you just passed?"
On the longer trips, you listened for gas prices and chatted the 18 wheelers...
and learned about government mile markers, Bears in the Air, and talked about how the channels were being monitored by the government, to find and punish those who used foul language...

So now, we have You Tube, Circles, Itunes, and Dick Tracy wrist computers.
Everyone talks and texts in abbreviations, 7 year old kids know about going incognito, and the socio/economic level is measured by the latest Gold IPhone.

Hmmm... What goes around, comes around...

Whaddya think we'll be doing ten years from now
I don't know but I sure enjoy reading your posts. I remember playing with my father's radio at around ten years old and suddenly hearing two truckers complaining about being "walked on". I quickly shut it off and ran inside wondering if the CB police were going to hunt me down.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote