Social Security and Retirement Savings Hearing

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
When I was channel surfing yesterday I ran across this committee hearing and it grounded my surfing activities for about an hour. Very interesting stuff if you are into this stuff.

Witnesses testified on the role of Social Security as a source of retirement income as the number of workers with pensions continued to decline. They agreed that Social Security benefits ought to be strengthened for low income earners, but they had different views on the fiscal state of the program. Topics included ways to encourage retirement savings.

Social Security and Retirement Savings - C-SPAN Video Library

Last edited:
It was tough, but I made it through about 75% of the video.

For someone with little knowledge of the issues surrounding the future of Soc Sec and retirement, it's a comprehensive discussion for the most part. It would be worthwhile as an in-depth primer, there are lots of people who would benefit by listening, some number fewer here. Unfortunately the folks that might benefit from watching it, won't - which is/has been one of the fundamental problems all along.

For those who have studied Soc Sec and retirement with more than a passing interest (many here), there's little to nothing new, and the questions and answers are almost entirely predictable along ideological/party affiliations (nausea inducing in some cases). It's the reason I can't watch C-Span or most of what passes for news on the right and left wing networks - 99% of it is easily predictable. And as usual the testimony goes to great lengths to describe the problems while superficially discussing solutions.

It was still a good review, but I didn't learn much of anything. I wish we could have a serious national discussion leading to solutions, but I am not holding my breath.

YMMV

Last edited:

For someone with little knowledge of the issues surrounding the future of Soc Sec and retirement, it's a comprehensive discussion for the most part. It would be worthwhile as an in-depth primer, there are lots of people who would benefit by listening, some number fewer here. Unfortunately the folks that might benefit from watching it, won't - which is/has been one of the fundamental problems all along.

For those who have studied Soc Sec and retirement with more than a passing interest (many here), there's little to nothing new, and the questions and answers are almost entirely predictable along ideological/party affiliations (nausea inducing in some cases). It's the reason I can't watch C-Span or most of what passes for news on the right and left wing networks - 99% of if is easily predictable. And as usual the testimony goes to great lengths to describe the problems while superficially discussing solutions.

It was still a good review, but I didn't learn much of anything. I wish we could have a serious national discussion leading to solutions, but I am not holding my breath.

YMMV
Agree. I, too, made it 3/4 of the way through then laughed when I read your post and saw how far you got.

For those who have studied Soc Sec and retirement with more than a passing interest (many here), there's little to nothing new, and the questions and answers are almost entirely predictable along ideological/party affiliations (nausea inducing in some cases). It's the reason I can't watch C-Span or most of what passes for news on the right and left wing networks - 99% of it is easily predictable. And as usual the testimony goes to great lengths to describe the problems while superficially discussing solutions.

YMMV

Thanks for the summary, very helpful as I wouldn't have even attempted to watch the video. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom