Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

There is another way of looking at when to take Social Security. It is a form of longevity insurance. An inflation adjusted lifetime annuity will insure you will never be totally broke, no matter how long you live.

As for me, I am waiting until 70. In the meantime, I am taking spousal benefits on my wife's account. That will lower the break even point to about age 76. As others have pointed out, the increased payments for waiting are based on 1983 life expectancy and interest rates. In the last 35 years, life expectancy is up and interest rates are down. Both push towards waiting.

I am healthy with long lived ancestors. The longevity insurance and the additional SS my wife will get if I check out early makes it an easy decision.

-- Doug
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
You're replying to Chuckanut who uses the 4% SWR. It includes both inflation and the assumption that you will invest in equities.
There are two things one must have or believe in order to make taking SS early a slam-dunk. 1) Have a significant equity allocation, and 2) think equities will perform about the same as they "always" have, and 3) have enough dry powder to weather equity troughs. That's three. Dang. Never trust anybody who gets two and three confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsticks007 View Post
My husband and I plan to take ours at 62 and invest it in the market! I think we will make more than the 8% you get by waiting until FRA. And if we want to do a fabulous vacation instead of investing that month, we will do it!
Welcome to the forum! Make sure you check out the travel stuff on this board! And yeah....good plan!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riajean View Post
Ok.......my husband who is 65 has early onset Alzheimers; "technically" diagnosed in Fall 2014, but noticed signs of something wrong as early as 2012. He's started to decline; is on SSDI and I've just turned 62 and working - mostly part time because I'm his caretaker.

I'm self employed and pay myself based on the work brought in -- right now it's at a stop, but don't expect that to continue.

Don't know whether it's wise to wait or to take less salary - to get through those slow times - or just tough it out.

Trying to rid ourselves of credit cards - almost there - 2 years. One car payment. Mortgage and more. Living frugally, but we can go out once in awhile.

Savings account? What's that?! About $1K. We've had many financial difficulties over the years.

Wisest thing to do??

Thanks.

You describe almost exactly my brother's and his wife/care giver's situation except he was diagnosed at age 53, now 65.

Did your husband ever serve in the military? At his age, if so, he's most likely a Vietnam era vet. My brother (me too) was. He got his own personal physician to declare that his Alzheimers was 'likely as not' caused by his exposure to agent orange. The VA agreed and has given him a tax free disability pension of a little over $3,000 a month. The VA also pays for a transport service to pick him up from his home every day and take him to an adult day care center and bring him home. There's several other things they cover as well for his in-home care, such as a stipend for his wife for her part in his care giving.

He also worked for the federal government as an air traffic controller and was given a medical early pension once he could no longer do any job in the agency at age 58. He also had some sort of mortgage insurance that paid off his mortage if he ever became medically/physically unable to work any more.

I am so sorry this has happened to you and your husband and I hope you are able to collect any benefits if he does qualify.
****EDIT****
I want to add; with is diagnosis he probably qualifies for 100% medical and you shouldn't be paying any federal income tax. Both my father and my brother confirmed with their CPA who does their taxes that indeed they are able to declare all their incomes as medically related and haven't had to pay fed or state taxes since their diagnosis. (My dad was diagnosed 2 years ago with Alzheimers and I'm his care giver, living with me and DW and aged 86.) For my dad, the VA sends him $1,800 a month because 100% of his income is designated for medical and he served during Korean War. (despite never serving in any war zone. He was on an aircraft carrier in the Med off Italy during his 2 years of service in the Navy.) Who would have thought Dad was due anything. I took him to the local VA center when he moved in just to get a VA ID card. They interviewed us, filed some paperwork and next thing we know, he's qualified for a disability pension.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:36 AM   #64
gone traveling

I am in almost the exact age and situation, and pretty much agree with your thinking. The biggest consideration for us is that after my COBRA runs out in Nov., I have to get my own health care. For that reason, and since I can afford to, I want to have a little income as possible until I turn 65 and can get Medicare. So my current thinking is that I will wait, but have DW start hers when she turns 62 in 2019. She earned less than me, but still will have a pretty decent amount. We can then figure that at the very least, her SS will pay for our health care premiums until I turn 65...

I don't know if this is the *best* way, but it is what I currently think we will do.... Good luck!
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:58 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I did similar analysis, and I have more weakness in my projections in the short run, vs in the over 70 years, when I'll have more than I need. So I plan to take SS at 62. You can run the math on the cash flow stream at 62 vs 67, or later, decide from there. If it allows you to not draw down savings, I think it's a good idea as SS is only ever going to be so much. But potential earnings on higher savings could over the long run out produce the lost SS income from collecting early. Hope this helps.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Excellent post
Old 08-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Statistically, based on the IRS life expectancy tables, SS will pay the same amount of $ to a person with an average lifespan, whether they retire early (62), on time (FRA), or wait until up to age 70 (at an 8% premium per year), by the time they pass at their predicted year. If you live longer than your life expectancy, then you would get more by waiting.
Dead on...the life expectancy table shows me living to 84. Crunching the numbers show the delta of the SS payouts at 83. I'd rather have the money now and invest it since I can do better than the government.
Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:34 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskem View Post
Dead on...the life expectancy table shows me living to 84. Crunching the numbers show the delta of the SS payouts at 83. I'd rather have the money now and invest it since I can do better than the government.
I have some similar thoughts, but we have a huge % of investments in TIRA, so paying down some of that TIRA to lessen the RMD tax impact also comes into play.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Did your husband ever serve in the military?
If your husband is a Veteran, and the “Jamestown” in your profile is in Virginia, this is the contact info for the local VA office.

https://www.dvs.virginia.gov/dvs/loc...enefits-office

If it’s not Virginia, go to the site below & search by state. There will almost certainly be a local Veterans Services Officer (VSO) close to you if you’re not close to one of the regional offices. The regional offices will have that contact info.

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/d...um=3&isFlash=0
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
There are two things one must have or believe in order to make taking SS early a slam-dunk. 1) Have a significant equity allocation, and 2) think equities will perform about the same as they "always" have, and 3) have enough dry powder to weather equity troughs. That's three. Dang. Never trust anybody who gets two and three confused.
I agree with 1 and 2, but 3 isn't so clear.

It seems that people who start SS early have less need to withdraw from their assets early. So they don't need as much "dry powder".
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #70

I did the calculator and it said for me to claim SS now at age 62 and 3 months and for hubby to wait until age 70. I am losing my job this month.

Hubby is 64 and working (hopefully to age 66 at least) and we have health insurance through his job, but if he retires at age 66 I will not yet be eligible for Medicare.

We can live on his salary, but will have to stop most all savings when I stop work after this week, except for a 5% contribution to his 401k and the max to his HSA until he goes on Medicare in the spring.

I don't know what to do. Suggestions?
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
There is another way of looking at when to take Social Security. It is a form of longevity insurance. An inflation adjusted lifetime annuity will insure you will never be totally broke, no matter how long you live.

As for me, I am waiting until 70. In the meantime, I am taking spousal benefits on my wife's account. That will lower the break even point to about age 76. As others have pointed out, the increased payments for waiting are based on 1983 life expectancy and interest rates. In the last 35 years, life expectancy is up and interest rates are down. Both push towards waiting.

I am healthy with long lived ancestors. The longevity insurance and the additional SS my wife will get if I check out early makes it an easy decision.

-- Doug

But this strategy - claiming spousal benefits while allowing your own to grow-is no longer allowed for new claimants going forward.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #72

When he retires, he can go on Medicare and you can get coverage from the healthcare.gov exchange (aka "Obamacare"). The price on the exchange can be very reasonable if your family income is below $65K because you qualify for subsidies.

Pulling spending-money out of traditional IRA or 401k counts as "income", but just spending money out of your non-IRA after tax accounts doesn't count as income. Roth conversions DO count as income, but of course those are optional. As long as you have 3 years' spending money in non-IRA funds, you can probably control your income to the point of getting a reasonably priced policy (reasonable only after the subsidy is applied) on healthcare.gov.

As to taking SS, that money you get at age 62 does count as income, and although it's probably optimal to do what the calculator says, it's probably not that much different between taking it at 62 vs 65. In your case, SS might be the "tail" vs the "dog" is PPACA heath insurance subsidy. Of course you might be able to do both if taking your SS plus whatever other income you have doesn't push you out of the range where you get a health insurance subsidy.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #73
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
I did the calculator and it said for me to claim SS now at age 62 and 3 months and for hubby to wait until age 70. I am losing my job this month.

Hubby is 64 and working (hopefully to age 66 at least) and we have health insurance through his job, but if he retires at age 66 I will not yet be eligible for Medicare.

We can live on his salary, but will have to stop most all savings when I stop work after this week, except for a 5% contribution to his 401k and the max to his HSA until he goes on Medicare in the spring.

I don't know what to do. Suggestions?
Sounds like you either claim your benefits early and have your husband wait until 70, or you find a new job.

If the former, then hopefully you can both afford to eventually retire despite stopping most of your saving.

If I were cutting it that close, I'd find a new job.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Sounds like you either claim your benefits early and have your husband wait until 70, or you find a new job.

If the former, then hopefully you can both afford to eventually retire despite stopping most of your saving.

If I were cutting it that close, I'd find a new job.

Umm- at 62 in a rural area that won't be easy even if I wanted to, which I don't. No more slavery for me- unless maybe at some point I could do something from home on my own terms. Then again, if I collect SS it would probably be more than I could earn.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Umm- at 62 in a rural area that won't be easy even if I wanted to, which I don't. No more slavery for me- unless maybe at some point I could do something from home on my own terms. Then again, if I collect SS it would probably be more than I could earn.
Nobody said life has to be easy.

If you can afford to retire and collect early, then you don't have to submit to "slavery" I guess. Not everyone has that choice. And not everyone wants to cut thing that close.

I thought you were looking for suggestions, but it seems like you have already decided and just wanted support for your decision. You haven't posted enough details regarding your income, savings, and expenses for a real answer anyway.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #76

Quote:
Nobody said life has to be easy.

If you can afford to retire and collect early, then you don't have to submit to "slavery" I guess. Not everyone has that choice. And not everyone wants to cut thing that close.

I thought you were looking for suggestions, but it seems like you have already decided and just wanted support for your decision. You haven't posted enough details regarding your income, savings, and expenses for a real answer anyway.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

What I said was we can live on my husband's salary ($82,000), but just won't be able to put a lot of money away like we did before- might be able to do his IRA- have to work on our budget more. I know an option is to try to get another job, but this is the early retirement forum after all.

So my question is- should I take SS early or wait and just live on the one income without it?

We have about 1,760,000 dollars altogether in everything and our expenses are about $4000 per month. Some will go away- gas and car maintenance will decrease, life and disability insurance premiums will end, etc.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
What I said was we can live on my husband's salary ($82,000), but just won't be able to put a lot of money away like we did before
Hmm. Seems like you can put quite a bit of money away if your expenses are only $48,000 but your husband's salary is $82,000.

Quote:
So my question is- should I take SS early or wait and just live on the one income without it?

We have about 1,760,000 dollars altogether in everything and our expenses are about $4000 per month. Some will go away- gas and car maintenance will decrease, life and disability insurance premiums will end, etc.
Sounds like you have sufficient dollars and low enough expenses to do whatever you like.

Even without SS benefits and with no growth in your assets your dollars can fund over 36 years of expenses.

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #78

Quote:
Hmm. Seems like you can put quite a bit of money away if your expenses are only $48,000 but your husband's salary is $82,000.

Sounds like you have sufficient dollars and low enough expenses to do whatever you like.

Even without SS benefits and with no growth in your assets your dollars can fund over 36 years of expenses.

Good luck.

Thanks. Well- we live in NY- so high taxes here. (plan to move to NH at some point) But- yes- hubby will put the max in HSA just like he has always done, but when he turns 65 next spring and is on Medicare (plus his employer health insurance) than the law says he can no longer contribute to the HSA. But we can take after tax dollars from what he used to contribute each month and continue to save some money from that. And I do think he probably will still be able to save money in his Roth IRA. I have to work this all out- which I intend to do in another week once I am not working. That is my goal- to get it all sorted out.

We essentially saved my entire salary these past few years when I was working- but some of that savings went to buying cars we needed and doing home repairs and upgrades, and a few vacations. So used to having all that extra income, so a bit scary. But we are pretty frugal. Mortgage was paid off way long ago.

I just didn't know if I should grab the SS now or wait and if so wait until when? Our plan was always to have hubby take SS at age 70 and me at 66 or even 70 if we could live on our savings until then after retiring. The calculator says for me to take it now and him at 70, but of course, it doesn't take into consideration all the variables.

Of course, it all depends on how long he keeps HIS job.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #79

Quote:
I just didn't know if I should grab the SS now or wait and if so wait until when? Our plan was always to have hubby take SS at age 70 and me at 66 or even 70 if we could live on our savings until then after retiring. The calculator says for me to take it now and him at 70, but of course, it doesn't take into consideration all the variables.

Of course, it all depends on how long he keeps HIS job.
If you used Mike Piper’s SS calculator, you’ll get the optimum (most $$$) recommendation. But, in case you didn’t know, you can evaluate multiple scenarios, and there’s often a very small $$$ difference with different claiming ages. So, I’d suggest you try multiple SS claiming scenarios that might work better for you/DH for other reasons.

After that, input the SS scenario(s) that work best for you/DH into FIRECalc along with your other info & see what seems optimum.

I think this will give you some good guidance on what to do. If you still want advice after that, I suggest you start a new thread with the SS & FIRECalc results. The responses you get from that will probably be more specific and, therefore, more useful. Good Luck
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #80

I also might add included in part of that $1,760,000 is a $200,000 (more or less) lump sum from my husband's sliced in half pension (thanks to the company changing over to a cash balance plan- SMH) which he is not eligible for until age 65 or whenever after that he retires. So we do not have that in our hands as of yet. (Don't want to take the annuity.)