Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2021, 05:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseytunahunter View Post
Hey guys still fairly new to the forum but enjoying my stay. .......I have selected a good M&A company to represent me and we both think we could get 5-6x EBITDA.

Not looking for advise on that end more what's it like to no longer be "the boss".
So, you seem to be asking "what will retired life without w*rk be like, how does one prepare for such a life"? And you are wondering what your "identity" will be (can be) once you are no longer "the boss"?

I would suggest, with your wife, start thinking about some things you would like to do with your time, once the business is no longer claiming the large portion of your life---or identity. Have you had dreams of travel but never had the time? Have you ever wondered what some specific career might have been like---maybe you always had a back of the mind dream of "I could have been a great grade school teacher"? Have you ever dreamed of being Mother Teresa's successor in aiding and comforting the poor in a distant land? In other words, if you are wondering about post-business owner identity, you need to start recalling your forgotten or deferred dreams. You will need to build, take responsibility for, your own new identity---once earning a living no longer claims your time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update: signed the exit agreement with the broker and started the process of creating the pitch deck. A lot of work ahead but excited to be executing my plan. My intention from Day 1 was to build a salable business. It's been a hell of a ride since that day in 1983 but I've enjoyed minute of it!
Jerseytunahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Update: signed the exit agreement with the broker and started the process of creating the pitch deck. A lot of work ahead but excited to be executing my plan. My intention from Day 1 was to build a salable business. It's been a hell of a ride since that day in 1983 but I've enjoyed minute of it!

Good for you, hope that the broker finds a great buyer and you can soon join the retired club.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Update II: The broker and his team have done an amazing job organizing our information and planning the transaction. They identified 43 possible buyers in my space and created a "top 5" list based on fit and their history of closing deals at a good price. After reaching out to each to assess their interest one said they couldn't meet my requirement of a 2021 closing, so they're out. The other 4 are interested and we went live August 9th. We met with two candidates and toured our facilities and jobs, etc. After a couple follow up calls with a large ($500M) firm they made a very aggressive offer of 8.2x multiple. Totally blew my mind. They are very impressed with our operation and want us to shut down the sales process and work toward a 60 day close. The only issue is the earn out (of course). They want a 3 year EO and for me to stay on during that time. I was planning on one year transition but if I want to take the deal I have play by their rules-stay on and grow my "branch" to increase EBITDA 15% each year. I don't think the other potential buyers are going to match this offer so looks like I'm not going to FIRE in 2022! Still a lot of work to do so who knows how this will play out in the end. The good news is I really like them. They bought my friend's company in Texas and thats been going really well. His employees are happy, his customers are happy. That's very important to me. One day at a time!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!

Sounds like a great deal. Especially the fact that you really like them. That would more than offset the 3 year EO for me.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:48 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a good deal overall and perhaps your load could be lightened over the 3 year timeframe.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Update II: The broker and his team have done an amazing job organizing our information and planning the transaction. They identified 43 possible buyers in my space and created a "top 5" list based on fit and their history of closing deals at a good price. After reaching out to each to assess their interest one said they couldn't meet my requirement of a 2021 closing, so they're out. The other 4 are interested and we went live August 9th. We met with two candidates and toured our facilities and jobs, etc. After a couple follow up calls with a large ($500M) firm they made a very aggressive offer of 8.2x multiple. Totally blew my mind. They are very impressed with our operation and want us to shut down the sales process and work toward a 60 day close. The only issue is the earn out (of course). They want a 3 year EO and for me to stay on during that time. I was planning on one year transition but if I want to take the deal I have play by their rules-stay on and grow my "branch" to increase EBITDA 15% each year. I don't think the other potential buyers are going to match this offer so looks like I'm not going to FIRE in 2022! Still a lot of work to do so who knows how this will play out in the end. The good news is I really like them. They bought my friend's company in Texas and thats been going really well. His employees are happy, his customers are happy. That's very important to me. One day at a time!
Congrats!

A word of caution on earn outs. We were on the buy side of M&A (a lot of it) and we loved earn outs. 99% of the time we didn't have to pay them out. So be sure you are happy if you end up with zero on the earn out. You may think you have met the requirements, but their lawyers will have much bigger pockets than you.

We usually had 3 year retention requirements for key personnel as well. But most of those ended after 1 year. Once we were sure the company could survive, we did not want a president/owner hanging around if they wanted to leave. So if they wanted to leave, we would negotiate an exit package. Usually after we abused them on the earn out. Then they were happy to leave.

Hopefully your buyer treats you well.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:14 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Sounds promising
You put yourself in a good position.
Now it’s time for the final stretch:-)
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
Congrats!

A word of caution on earn outs. We were on the buy side of M&A (a lot of it) and we loved earn outs. 99% of the time we didn't have to pay them out. So be sure you are happy if you end up with zero on the earn out. You may think you have met the requirements, but their lawyers will have much bigger pockets than you.

We usually had 3 year retention requirements for key personnel as well. But most of those ended after 1 year. Once we were sure the company could survive, we did not want a president/owner hanging around if they wanted to leave. So if they wanted to leave, we would negotiate an exit package. Usually after we abused them on the earn out. Then they were happy to leave.

Hopefully your buyer treats you well.
Good info. I'd be curious to know how large the "Earn Out" is (in % of the total deal, not actual $ amount). Sounds risky, but having heard good reports from this group in the past is promising.

A friend of mine sold his business, not sure if it was structured as an "Earn Out", sounded more like a hold-back if certain conditions are not met. I plan to talk to him this w/e. But the buyer scared off ~ half his employees, and of course is having trouble filling those slots now, and my friend is working 60~90 hour weeks, doing the actual field work that an hourly worker would do, not on training or "hand off" type activity. If this is still going on, I'm going to suggest he talk to his lawyer, this doesn't sound right - hopefully his contract was specific enough. But this is a bigger corp that bought him out, and can spend more on lawyers than he can

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thx for the responses very helpful information. They offered 80% cash at close, 20% in the EO. The earn out is based on a 15% increase in EBITDA yoy, which I think I could do. It will have a sliding scale for over performance and under performance. We're negotiating the terms now. I plan to offer my leadership team a compensation package tied to these goals.
Old 09-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Thx for the responses very helpful information. They offered 80% cash at close, 20% in the EO. The earn out is based on a 15% increase in EBITDA yoy, which I think I could do. It will have a sliding scale for over performance and under performance. We're negotiating the terms now. I plan to offer my leadership team a compensation package tied to these goals.
80/20 is a nice split for you. One thing to watch out for is costs incurred after close on an annual basis coming from the buyer side. Make sure you account for that in the terms. That surprised a lot of sellers. They would be running 50% gross margin and 30% EBITDA before we bought them. Then the corporate "taxes" started flowing down. IT, HR, headquarters, etc... costs divided up based on a three factor formula. Next thing you know, the company is down to 14% EBITDA and no way they can make their growth targets for earn out. You can account for that in your purchase agreement. But there are more insidious drags on EBITDA, too. The reporting requirements can go through the roof. And if you are accounting on Quickbooks or Excel and they are on an ERP system like SAP, then you have to account for that. That will eat a LOT of personnel that should be doing growth things, but are instead working 70 hours a week making reports to feed the SAP monster. The first year after acquisition for the leadership team is usually spent entirely on transition tasks. Leaving no time for growth which means no earn out.

Hate to make it sound awful, but I was on the buy side of over 20 mergers/acquisitions ranging from $5M to $2B. Some of them went swimmingly, others really disappointed the seller and their leadership team. The most disappointed were the companies like yours that the current owner built from scratch and loved.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Corn18 this is gold please keep going I'm taking notes.
Old 09-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #33

Quote:
I agree. Hell I'm a total bystander and I'm excited for you!
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 11:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Are either of you a publicly traded company?
Old 09-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Are either of you a publicly traded company?
No
Old 09-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #36

All cash deal? For the initial 80%. Do you have any debt in the business?
Old 09-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Yes all cash. We have a small amount of loans and leases which will be paid off at closing. We're trying to get to 90/10.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #38

I'd be cautious on the earn out if there is a recession (or even a slow down) that might make hitting 15% YOY attainable. We haven't had a good long slow down for quite a while.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Yes all cash. We have a small amount of loans and leases which will be paid off at closing. We're trying to get to 90/10.
OK, saw in your first post that the buyer is private equity. That should make this a professional transaction. I will convey my thoughts from the buy side as I have never been on the sell side. For reference, I worked for a large publicly traded company that manufacturers stuff. We bought companies that had technology, customers, product lines or regions we wanted. So my expertise is in manufacturing. Take everything I say with a grain of salt. And this will be a diatribe in no particular order.

Since you have a broker and know what EBITDA is, you are leaps and bounds ahead of some sellers. I assume they have sent an Initial Offer of Intent (IOI) with a dollar range for the offer? And now you are going into due diligence?

It's good you have a broker. Your broker's sole purpose in life (in their mind) is to close the deal. They might not always agree with that out loud, but they are hunter/killers and closing the deal is all that matters to them. Make sure they are doing what you want because you are paying them. PE does this stuff for a living, so they won't accept any shenanigans. Don't be afraid to have conversations with someone you trust within the buyer's organization. Our best deals (for both sides) happened when there was a personal relationship between the seller and someone in our company. Talk to your friends that have dealt with this company and find out who you could confide in on their side. The lawyers and brokers don't always like this approach, but it makes the deal roll easier. If it were up to the lawyers, you would never close a deal.

Once we sent an IOI and the seller accepted, we went into due diligence. This can be painful for the seller. That's what I did for a living, due diligence. My job was to go in and look at the business and see if what you put in the deck was what we were getting. This never resulted in an increase in offer price. As you have noted, you have a multiple on the table, but I can haircut EBITDA in a million different ways. So, I wouldn't focus on the multiple. Focus on the number. It's kindof like the car salesman that wants to talk car payments vs. sales price.

I have so much I can type, but for this post, let me keep it simple. For the sale, you will have to defend your numbers to maximize the sale price. Really not that complex, but I don't want you to be surprised if they come back with a serious haircut on your EBITDA. Working through this is fairly straight forward and as the owner, you can manage this with your experience, guts and instinct.

If you want more details on due diligence, let me know. I can write a book on the sell side process.

I think where I can really help is post acquisition and the earn out. If you get 90/10, I wouldn't sweat it too much. 10% will be more of a pride thing than a battle. But, the solution is both difficult and easy.

Cost, cost, cost. That's it. Here's why: after close, your costs are going to go up because of the acquisition (especially in the first year). If your costs go up, your EBITDA goes down. Your earn out is at risk. It's just that simple. Happened every time we bought someone. Even without an earn out. Lots of harrumphing at HQ when we forecast 25% EBITDA and we only got 15%, even thought the company's top line grew 20%. They got eaten by cost.

Know what your current costs are in agonizing detail. If you do not currently have a genius cost accounting guru on your payroll, get one. We called them controllers. They can help with the sale, but they will earn their keep in the transition.

After close, track costs relentlessly so you can account for transition costs. These transition costs should be entered in a separate line of accounting in as much detail as you can manage. That way, when it comes time to talk earn out, you can compare your YoY EBITDA without the acquisition costs. Not fair to include them and erode your post acquisition EBITDA, but we did it all the time. Mostly because the acquired business did not collect this data and without it, you can't defend your position.

Some things that can erode EBITDA post acquisition:

- 401k: If you offer a 401k with 50% match up to 3% and they offer 100% up to 5%, you are going to eat those costs.

- PTO: If you offer a scaled PTO @ 5, 10, 15 years and their scale is different, you will have to adjust your accrual for that cost. If their's is more expensive, you will eat those costs. Also, how are you handling accrued PTO in the transition?

- Medical/Dental/Etc...: This can go both ways. Just know what the plan is. If you have to transition 70 people to their plan and it is more expensive, then you will eat those costs.

- IT: This can be a nightmare with no end. The biggest issue is enterprise management. Transitioning to an ERP system can cost millions. I doubt a PE firm will make you do that, but you will have onerous reporting requirements, extra travel for meetings and may need to hire more personnel to manage all of this transition stuff. Account for this in the transition cost line of accounting. Watch out for IT preferred vendors. Some big firms like to make you buy stuff from their negotiated contractors, and they are usually way more expensive than what you can buy stuff for on your own. Things like computers, office supplies, telephones, etc...

- Capital: since you are dealing at the EBITDA line, the cost of capital will be borne by them. But the rent, utilities, maintenance, etc... will be your cost. Not a problem until they want to move you to their big, shiny building in New York that costs 10x what you are paying now. Keep track of it.

- Travel: You may have to travel a lot more during the transition. Keep track of it. And watch out for the PE firm making you use their travel agent. Ours was way more expensive than doing it yourself, but they had to use it. This cost them more, but we didn't care.

That's all the SG&A stuff I can think of right now. I'm sure there are a hundred things I have missed, but the details aren't as important as the concept. Knowing your current costs and tracking your future costs will allow you and the PE firm to better understand your apples to apples YoY EBITDA growth.

Actionable for you now: identify your accounting guru and get them up to speed on what you expect. Figure out the process for implementing the cost accounting. You do not need to discuss this plan with the buyer or broker unless you want to. BTW, due diligence should reveal your true current costs, but make sure you agree with them. The baseline will be what you have to live with for the next three years.

I'll post more on growth after dinner.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... And this will be a diatribe in no particular order.

I'll post more on growth after dinner.
I'm just an innocent bystander, but I'm fascinated with this inside view. I feel like I'm sitting in a Master's Class. Thanks for taking the time to share your insights.

Looking forward to the next update and responses, I imagine this has been of great help to OP, just getting a handle on the concepts.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote