Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

^ yes, interesting inside view.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Corn18, thanks for the details on your expertise. Really interesting to someone that is basically in the bleachers, vs the ones playing on the field.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:29 AM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Awesome information thank you for taking the time to post. My broker is a master negotiator and has done deals with this buyer in the past. This is both good and bad as they know they'll see each other again down the road. There is a fair amount of trust and integrity between them but my guy might not push back as hard. Latest details-the seller is willing to give me stock in his company and make me an owner. This is rare in my industry. My friend from Texas did this and has tripled the value in the last 3 years. He vowed to leave after a year but is still working and loves being part of a top company. Corn18 please message me your address would be happy to send a bottle of scotch.
Jerseytunahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:44 AM   #44

Fascinating stuff, thank you Corn18.

I'm going to start the process of selling my small manufacturing business so this information is extremely interesting to me.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:42 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseytunahunter View Post
Awesome information thank you for taking the time to post. My broker is a master negotiator and has done deals with this buyer in the past. This is both good and bad as they know they'll see each other again down the road. There is a fair amount of trust and integrity between them but my guy might not push back as hard. Latest details-the seller is willing to give me stock in his company and make me an owner. This is rare in my industry. My friend from Texas did this and has tripled the value in the last 3 years. He vowed to leave after a year but is still working and loves being part of a top company. Corn18 please message me your address would be happy to send a bottle of scotch.
Sounds like a good bunch to work with. I will say none of the deals I ever worked on were ever adversarial. Always professional. Business is business.

The only thing I was going to add was on the growth side post acquisition. You can grow EBITDA 2 ways: increase sales or reduce cost (or both). Increasing sales usually requires investment, so make sure you have the control you need if you need to invest. And we talked about costs. Reducing them is always a good thing as long as it doesn't impact growth. That will be hard to do post acquisition, I suspect. You know you're business better than anyone. Just make sure they give you the authority to spend your revenue as you see fit. We had an onerous IR&D approval process that usually slowed up a new acquisition. And we put so much pressure on them to produce cash that they had to make hard choices between investing and spinning off cash.

I think that's it unless you have any questions.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, here we are it's Christmas Eve. We close 12:01AM November 1st. I couldn't even put into words how difficult the quality of earnings and due diligence were. We signed the LOI Sept 7, so to get all of the work done in seven weeks made it I think 2x harder. Anyway very little to do today, it's pretty much a wrap. My team is a little stressed but having myself and my director of operations stay on for 3 years is comforting. It's funny how my perspective has changed since I signed with the broker in May. At that time I wanted out but in going through the process I realized how much I like my job and my team. I'm happy to stay on to make sure my people and my customers are taken care of-plus the earn out is significant. Thank you everyone who contributes on this site I learn something each time I sign on.
Jerseytunahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #47

Congrats! Selling is the easy part. The transition will require all of your leadership skills to keep all the BS from impacting your team.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:48 AM   #48

Congratulations Jerseytunahunter on getting through the process successfully. Now you can look forward to those 3 years passing and becoming fully retired at that point. Or if the work is still fun, can continue but without any contractual commitment.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations and welcome to retirement on your terms!