Join Early Retirement Today

"SOLD" sign posted 3/14
Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"SOLD" sign posted 3/14

I'm holding back trying to celebrate anything (until I handle over keys and get a check at closing), but we've passed all the hurdles, home inspection (still need a Heat/AC cleaning and service), lawyer's review, appraisal and buyer's loan approval. Market has been lousy in Chicago. The closing is all set for the 24th, only one week to go! Then my RE agent tells me someone still want to see the house right now!?! This is after seeing the SOLD sign and the website has PENDING SALE for over two weeks now. Why would someone want to look now?
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As far as i'm concerned, if there's an accepted offer then it's off the market. Tell them no, they can't see it.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #3

I'm thinking anything can happen...if they want to make an all cash, 100k over price offer, then I would have to listen, right? If I didn't complete the Heat/AC inspection, it would kill the deal. Really wishful thinking on my part!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
gone traveling

Back-up offer in case the first one falls thru? Nothing to lose, everything to gain.. might even keep the first position offer from getting squirrelley at the last minute...
Show it.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #5

They're probably done with the showing, it started 24 minutes ago.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, congratulations, DSK!!! So happy for the "sold" sign and looking forward to hearing champagne corks popping next week when you close.

Eh, let the late looker take a peek--maybe the realtor is trying to get them to pull the trigger on another place and is using yours as the example of what gets away when they hesitate. No harm to you.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
They're probably done with the showing, it started 24 minutes ago.
Or, they're sitting at your kitchen table, writing the world's best back up offer... You never know.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Wow, congratulations, DSK!!! So happy for the "sold" sign and looking forward to hearing champagne corks popping next week when you close.

Eh, let the late looker take a peek--maybe the realtor is trying to get them to pull the trigger on another place and is using yours as the example of what gets away when they hesitate. No harm to you.
Thanks, I'm trying to stay on level ground until I have check in hand. This is coming directly through my agent, so it's definitely someone wanting to consider purchasing, not comparison shopping, my agent will consider anything until it's sold.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Or, they're sitting at your kitchen table, writing the world's best back up offer... You never know.
Westernskies,
I LOVE the way you think! Hoping for 100k+ over listed price!
Old 03-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm thinking anything can happen...if they want to make an all cash, 100k over price offer, then I would have to listen, right?
No, you don't. You already accepted an offer in writing.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
No, you don't. You already accepted an offer in writing.
aaronc879,
It is common to accept backup offers on properties for sale; sales fall out of escrow all the time for a variety of reasons:
1. Financing
2, Inspections
3. Cold feet
4. Unmet contingencies
5. Unfulfilled promises
6. Liens
7. Title Issues.
4. etc...

Having a back-up offer in place (higher or lower- "don't ask, don't tell" ) helps ensure that the sale goes thru per the original contract, and if it doesn't you haven't lost the market exposure while the first offer screwed around and tried to re-neg, re-negotiate, or re-fuse to close on time.

I've been involved in a number of sales with a backup offer, in both primary and secondary position. As long as everyone understands who is in first and who is in second position, it works fine. And, it's good business, IMO.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
aaronc879,
It is common to accept backup offers on properties for sale; sales fall out of escrow all the time for a variety of reasons:
1. Financing
2, Inspections
3. Cold feet
4. Unmet contingencies
5. Unfulfilled promises
6. Liens
7. Title Issues.
4. etc...

Having a back-up offer in place (higher or lower- "don't ask, don't tell" ) helps ensure that the sale goes thru per the original contract, and if it doesn't you haven't lost the market exposure while the first offer screwed around and tried to re-neg, re-negotiate, or re-fuse to close on time.

I've been involved in a number of sales with a backup offer, in both priamry and secondary position. As long as everyone understands who is in firat and who is in second position, it works fine.
You can get a back-up offer. As long as it's not in writing or it's specified that the offer is only valid if the other offer falls thru. If I made an offer and it was accepted in writing then the house was sold to someone else then there would be a lawsuit and i'd win. An official offer is a contract. You can't change your mind. Make sure you know what your signing and plan to follow thru with it. That goes for both sides.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
You can get a back-up offer. As long as it's not in writing or it's specified that the offer is only valid if the other offer falls thru. If I made an offer and it was accepted in writing then the house was sold to someone else then there would be a lawsuit and i'd win. An official offer is a contract. You can't change your mind. Make sure you know what your signing and plan to follow thru with it. That goes for both sides.
Back up offers ARE in writing, otherwise they're not an actual offer.

The seller can't formally accept the written backup offer until the first sale has fallen through, i.e. the buyer defaults or exercises an out, (usually because they found something they didn't like during the inspection period.) Assuming the first-position buyer liked the house well enough to present the winning offer in the first place, making them aware that someone else is standing by ready to step in and take over keeps them focused on closing on time, not looking for ways to renegotiate their offer and or get the seller to perform additional work because they think they have the property locked up.

When we bought our bank owned property, there were (3) backup offers in place, for considerably more $$- one as much as $39K more (full price) . Guess what? We closed on time.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

In England and Australia, I think the term is "gazumping"!
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It depends on if there were any contingencies written into the contract that was accepted. It happens all the time in RE. When I bought my house, we offered a lower price, but had no contingencies. The other buyer was given 24 hours to drop their contingencies or their offer was invalid. They could not and we got the house. The owner was desperate to sell and close FAST because he was in a job transfer situation.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:54 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

When I bought my present house the sellers got an offer for $50,000 more after they had signed with me . They proceeded to put road blocks in the way to hamper the sale .I had to get my lawyer to strong arm them and the sale proceeded . Two weeks later the husband came back and wanted to go through the house to look for a few things they had left . I slammed the door in his face . I think he got the message .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
It depends on if there were any contingencies written into the contract that was accepted. It happens all the time in RE. When I bought my house, we offered a lower price, but had no contingencies. The other buyer was given 24 hours to drop their contingencies or their offer was invalid. They could not and we got the house. The owner was desperate to sell and close FAST because he was in a job transfer situation.........
I'm confused. How can an offer accepted with contingencies be invalidated because the buyer refused to drop the contingencies? Unless this was specifically written into the contract, or the contingent offer had not yet had been signed by both parties??
Old 03-17-2011, 02:04 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
When I bought my present house the sellers got an offer for $50,000 more after they had signed with me . They proceeded to put road blocks in the way to hamper the sale .I had to get my lawyer to strong arm them and the sale proceeded . Two weeks later the husband came back and wanted to go through the house to look for a few things they had left . I slammed the door in his face . I think he got the message .
Good job! (and congrats for not leaving any money on the table; sounds like you got a great deal!)
Old 03-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
I'm holding back trying to celebrate anything (until I handle over keys and get a check at closing), but we've passed all the hurdles, home inspection (still need a Heat/AC cleaning and service), lawyer's review, appraisal and buyer's loan approval. Market has been lousy in Chicago. The closing is all set for the 24th, only one week to go! Then my RE agent tells me someone still want to see the house right now!?! This is after seeing the SOLD sign and the website has PENDING SALE for over two weeks now. Why would someone want to look now?

Congratulations on selling in this market !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #20

Thanks Moemg!

I got the update about this late "buyer". Turns out as my agent was showing the house, this woman mentioned she was really a seller from the area and her house has fallen thru 2 times now due to financing and appraisal issues. She was trying to pump my agent for sales price information to compare, all she could tell her was that my house appraised for the sale price.