Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People have suggested all the one's I thought of. I would go with putting in a switch if it were in an unfinished area, remote switch or motion detecting fixture otherwise.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:07 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plug a low watt LED (say 5 watts) in an outlet that's always on and just leave it on forever.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
This is a feature!
You must be a SW engineer. Take a bug and call it a feature.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #24

Is the shop light hard wired or plugged into an outlet? If plugged into an outlet they sell an outlet that plugs into the outlet and has a hand held remote. I got it for my husband when he was sick so he could turn lights on across the room without getting up. Think I got it from Costco and it was a 3 outlet pack.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Is the shop light hard wired or plugged into an outlet? If plugged into an outlet they sell an outlet that plugs into the outlet and has a hand held remote. I got it for my husband when he was sick so he could turn lights on across the room without getting up. Think I got it from Costco and it was a 3 outlet pack.
Right - same basic concept as I mentioned in post #13. The one I posted sticks to the wall and looks like a switch.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You must be a SW engineer. Take a bug and call it a feature.
Have done some SW, but not really a SW engineer.

But in this case, it really is the truth. That was an intentional design feature, not a bug at all. It provides a way to over-ride the motion sensor time-out. Some people mount these lights in places that can only be reached by a ladder. So if you want it to just stay ON for, say an hour or two while you are doing something where you need that light ON, instead of the several minute time-out, you just flip the switch from ON to OFF to ON in about 1 second, and it latches ON until you turn it OFF.

No extra switches required. Pretty clever.

But, if you have it on a hard-wired line, you (and I, that's how mine is set up) have the problem that a glitch can latch it to ON. The only solution I know (other than going to the breaker), is to put a switch in somewhere. But they were designed to be put on a switched circuit.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

In this part of the basement, there is only one power outlet available in a 15 foot range (old construction when the codes did not require outlets every few feet), and is behind some cabinet storage. The shop light is plugged into it (its main purpose is to illuminate the cabinet storage area so it has to be close to it). At the moment I am not interested in rewiring that part of the basement (that is task for when the entire area is redone).

The sound, motion sensor, and remote to put in the outlet, and tritium to hang from the pull cord, are ideas I had not thought of, and will add them to the list to investigate.

It is about 8 feet from the entrance to that part of the basement to the shop light... I am mainly thinking of DW, who hates entering dark or semi-dark areas before a light can be turned on, and the thought of waving her hands around in the dark to locate something is creepy ("what if I touch something and it isn't really the cord??"). I blame myself, too many practical jokes I have played on her.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:34 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Right - same basic concept as I mentioned in post #13. The one I posted sticks to the wall and looks like a switch.
+1. This will solve your problem. Forgot, my elder mom has one in the kitchen.

1. Plug your shop light into, this " box" which plugs into your wall outlet

2. Comes with a "light switch", LOOKS like a wall light switch with panel.

3. You can attach the "wall switch" remote to the wall.

4. Only maintenance, is to change the battery in the "remote wall switch".

Very neat. No wiring additional wiring required.

I guess same principle as our TVs. TV is plugged in. (ie your shop light),

TV remote turns on the TV. (ie. remote light switch turns on you shop light).
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:25 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Didn't know if the OP had the ability to wire the receiver to the light. The one I recommended, you only have to make sure that there's room to plug in the outlet and remember not to wander off with the remote. Though you could Velcro the remote to the wall. Battery for ours lasted about a year with daily use.
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Plug a low watt LED (say 5 watts) in an outlet that's always on and just leave it on forever.
Home Dept sells lights like this in a two pack. We have them all over the house lighting stairs, hallways, in the garage. Off in the light, on in the dark. Never get hot.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #31

An older relative just used the "install a longer pull cord" that runs through an eyelet screw so the end of the cord hangs down vertically.

All he has to do is open the door and reach to his right for the pull cord connected to the fixture 8 feet away.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

They make motion sensor fixtures that simply screw into the socket:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/motion-sensor-light
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Solutions for easily locating light pull chain in dark room
Old 06-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Solutions for easily locating light pull chain in dark room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Perhaps use those little screw-in eyelets to put a long string into, tie one end to the chain and lead the other end to near the door entrance where it is easy to see.

Or put in a light switch, not that hard.

Hah! I did that as a kid in my bedroom. I think I used high test fishing line if I remember correctly. I was able to turn the overhead light on and off from my bed...
Old 06-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

There are so many solutions for this problem.

Something along these lines might be the simplest (thought probably not this one, based on the one review):

https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Ceiling-.../dp/B078ZJBJLX

But instead of that, I'd probably just put in one or more cheap motion detecting night lights. This would also help in fall prevention as you walk from the door to the light chain.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
... and the thought of waving her hands around in the dark to locate something is creepy ("what if I touch something and it isn't really the cord??"). I blame myself, too many practical jokes I have played on her.
Not to be an instigator or anything but how about hanging some fake spider webbing (complete with fake spiders) on the pull cord?

https://www.amazon.com/Topseller-Hal...spider+webbing
Old 06-19-2018, 06:32 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Not to be an instigator or anything but how about hanging some fake spider webbing (complete with fake spiders) on the pull cord?

https://www.amazon.com/Topseller-Hal...spider+webbing

Actually been there. Done that (not on a pull cord, but dropping onto her head as she walked into a room). Great joke. And I am fully healed now.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Was at Home Depot and they have screw in light bulbs at work with WIFI. Can turn it on even before you go down into the basement to scare all the mice into their hiding places first so you don't have to see them.
SnowBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Actually been there. Done that (not on a pull cord, but dropping onto her head as she walked into a room). Great joke. And I am fully healed now.
If I did that she'd have a heart attack and probably die on the spot. Then her brother would kill me. There's just no future in it.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Harbor Freight LED Flip Light. 4.99
https://m.harborfreight.com/200-lume...ght-63922.html
+1
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Harbor Freight LED Flip Light. 4.99
https://m.harborfreight.com/200-lume...ght-63922.html
I bought one of these, and I have to tell you I think the light switch light is a stupid idea for a light.

The problem with it, is you are looking at the switch and turn it on. BLINDING LIGHT is what you get since it's so natural to look towards the switch as you turn it on.

It's such a bad idea, that when I was next in Harbor freight and had a coupon for a FREE one, I didn't get it.