Join Early Retirement Today

Somehow I have been blind to my deteriorating house....
Old 11-17-2008, 08:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Somehow I have been blind to my deteriorating house....

I have soooo much stuff going on that I apparently didn't see my house become scummy right before my eyes. No, it isn't falling apart...no structural problems or anything like that...but just....yuk.

It's been 6 years since we painted...and thanks to me and the kids....it NEEDS it. I had a few old batteries and tires sitting in plain view in the driveway Crap piled on top of crap in the basement (we have VERY limited storage due to our decision to finish our basement). A bifold door that broke in the basement laundry room has been propped against the wall for...uhhh.... 2 years? I've been meaning to re-construct our master bed closet...the width is 47" which doesnt work for modern bifolds...and there never was a door...so we hung a curtain 5 years ago. The hillbilly who builtour addition before we moved in never removed the windows...so there's a window into the master and bathroom from the addition. Never had the gumption to rip out the metal framed windows during rehab so it never got done. Carpet needs replaced in master. Replaced only 2 of 6 doors in hallway..so they are mis-matched and need finished.

The list goes on....and on......

somehow, I became white trash and didnt notice. too wrapped up in making and saving $$ I guess

The wife finally let me have it...and rightfully so...when I told her my plans of buying another repo in the next month or so to keep me busy this winter. Turns out I have enough right here to keep me busy for a lot longer than that....but SOMEHOW I didnt see the whole picture. each individual thing was like..."eh, i can live with that....theres more important things to do"....but collectively I wonder what people REALLY think about us when they come over? the house is immaculate due to wifes OCD, and it's not falling apart...just a bit...umm...not finished? i cant even think of the right words to describe it. At first glance I'd day it looks nice and well-kept....but the devil is in the details!!

ok, end of rant
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

i'm exhausted just by reading your post...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The shoemakers children are shoeless. A common issue.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When we bought our place 6 years ago, DW was agonizing over three possible shades of paint for the living room. I told her to pick whatever she likes because in 6 months I wouldn't notice it. Sure enough, I have to think about it or go look to remember what color it is.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
I have soooo much stuff going on that I apparently didn't see my house become scummy right before my eyes. No, it isn't falling apart...no structural problems or anything like that...but just....yuk.

It's been 6 years since we painted...and thanks to me and the kids....it NEEDS it. I had a few old batteries and tires sitting in plain view in the driveway Crap piled on top of crap in the basement (we have VERY limited storage due to our decision to finish our basement). A bifold door that broke in the basement laundry room has been propped against the wall for...uhhh.... 2 years? I've been meaning to re-construct our master bed closet...the width is 47" which doesnt work for modern bifolds...and there never was a door...so we hung a curtain 5 years ago. The hillbilly who builtour addition before we moved in never removed the windows...so there's a window into the master and bathroom from the addition. Never had the gumption to rip out the metal framed windows during rehab so it never got done. Carpet needs replaced in master. Replaced only 2 of 6 doors in hallway..so they are mis-matched and need finished.

The list goes on....and on......

somehow, I became white trash and didnt notice. too wrapped up in making and saving $$ I guess

The wife finally let me have it...and rightfully so...when I told her my plans of buying another repo in the next month or so to keep me busy this winter. Turns out I have enough right here to keep me busy for a lot longer than that....but SOMEHOW I didnt see the whole picture. each individual thing was like..."eh, i can live with that....theres more important things to do"....but collectively I wonder what people REALLY think about us when they come over? the house is immaculate due to wifes OCD, and it's not falling apart...just a bit...umm...not finished? i cant even think of the right words to describe it. At first glance I'd day it looks nice and well-kept....but the devil is in the details!!

ok, end of rant
Aw heck, it's no big deal - just a little attention to detail and a couple of weekends worth of getting after it. RE: the Master Closet, I had the same problem in my latest rehab. Problem easily solved by Lowes. Buy the prefinished (nothing is worse than painting louvred doors) four section bifolds - width is 47 3/4"...simply plane - or have Lowe's do it - a "smidge" off each outside panel, and you are good to go. I recommend you paint & recarpet the Master Suite first, then hang the doors. Place an armoire, dresser with mirror, or large painting over the window....for now.

Well, it's a start, anyway. Baby steps, my friend.
slimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a tendancy to do the same thing. I often find something and say I never quite finished that or that looks really grungy now and it relly has for along time. We get used to our surroundings.
Bruce
Old 11-18-2008, 06:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

i keep a list of things to do/repair for the interior of the house in my email calendar. it chimes at me once a month. during the summer, i blow off indoor projects and do outside stuff. but i do add items.
in winter, i get going on indoor fix-er-up stuff. i call these delayed items "blizzard projects". i make a nice fire, crank up the tunes and get it done.
BTW, thanks for making me notice my living room ceiling needs painting.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The wife finally let me have it...and rightfully so...
This is why it is always good to listen to your wife! You sound like a lucky man to have her, thefed--of course she is lucky to have you, but listening to her sounds like it makes your life better (hope the dog situation is still working out ).
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #9

A picture would get the idea across.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

But isn't it easier to just "not do" something than spend the time and effort to do it? There's always something more valuable to do, right?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
But isn't it easier to just "not do" something than spend the time and effort to do it? There's always something more valuable to do, right?
You have NO IDEA how much that is applies to my house........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #12

Don't feel bad. We bought a brand-new house six years ago. All the rooms are still "builder's beige" because DW can't decide what colors she wants. Heck, it was six months before we hung anything on the walls because she didn't want nail holes in the new house.

Fine by me. I don't care what color the walls are.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wish I could have been blind to our house this year. Had to put on a new garage roof and railing :P Cha ching
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #14

Well TheFed, that's a wife's job after all. Without them we'd live in a tent and wear ragged clothes, or go without. But don't do what I did.

Three years ago we finally remodeled the kitchen and expanded a bathroom. Spent big bucks. DW had been after me for 32+ years to get it done. Then we sold the house and moved. I knew there was a reason I didn't want to do that remodeling.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Good post, thefed.

Here's is something I find useful, and DW thinks I am being silly - start at the street and close your eyes and mentally clear your mind. Pretend you have NEVER seen your own house before. Pretend you are walking up and thinking of buying it. Now, look at everything with this fresh perspective.

When I do this, I tend to notice stuff that I've walked by 1,000 times and never noticed. Another thing is to just take pictures, w/o even concentrating on what you are taking. Look at the prints. Something about a picture makes things that you normally overlook stand out (that's why you see pictures with a branch growing out of someone's head - we don't notice because we focus on the subject). A while back, we were looking at some birthday party snapshots, and noticed how bare one of our walls was. Adding one pice of inexpensive artwork made all the difference.

Now, since you are young and full of energy, you can make a list and start tackling these jobs this winter. Me, I make the list and take nap

Time for my nap. - ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The deterioration does creep up on one.

Every little aberration becomes part of the scenery.

As others have suggested, take pictures; for some reason that shifts the viewpoint (even if you are the only one to view them).

Personally, I have HDD: Housekeeping Deficit Disorder.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I made a list of things I need to repair before selling the house in a year or two. Three things require professional help:

1) I need an electrician to figure out why there isn't any electricity getting to the outdoor ceiling fan on my covered patio. I replaced the fan after Katrina destroyed it, only to find out the damage somehow extended to the electrical system.

2) I need a plumber to fix a pencil thin auxiliary gas line to the gas lamp at my front door, broken by Hurricane Gustav, so that I can turn the gas to it back on.

3) I need a carpet layer to replace all the carpet in the house.

But there are several things I could do by myself, mostly including painting on the inside and painting the shutters and doors on the outside. Then I need to get rid of excess belongings and call the realtor.

I have been waiting to do anything until after I retire, when I can sit at home and wait for the plumber, electrician, and carpet guy without having to take vacation time to do it. Hey, maybe I'll hire a painter as well and live a life of ease.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Remodel - itis or repair attacks periodically hit me from time to time every few years.

So far I'm in a lull period.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We have been guilty of that as well. We moved into our house about 4 years ago and during the first year we spent quite a bit of time painting, furnishing and decorating our new home. We finished the dining room, living room, family room, the guest bedroom and the office but we ran out of steam before tackling the master bedroom. So for 3.5 years, we had just a bed, 2 tiny bedside tables and an old dresser in a fairly large master suite. It kinda looked stupid. No curtains, broken blinds, nothing on the walls, no headboard... But, we just got used to it. (picture below: our bedroom exactly as it looked between 01/2005 and 08/2008).

We are finally getting around to it. We have bought some furniture, curtains, shades, pictures to hang on the wall and it is starting to look much better.

We should be almost finished this week-end, maybe I'll post a few pictures of our new and improved master.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

I usually tackle one large project a year and several small ones . I keep a list of everything I want to accomplish and start checking them off my to do list as soon as I motivate the SO. He's a great handyman .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote