Join Early Retirement Today

Sometimes you just need a wake up call
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes you just need a wake up call

Gee....what a fun weekend. I spent 2 days in emergency, getting poked and prodded because they suspected deep vein thrombosis. I just thought my leg was sunburned, although the swelling should have tipped me off.

Anyhow, after a long, cold, sleepless night on a gurney, followed by a 6 hour wait in ER for results, it turns out there's nothing wrong with me! (Yay!) I have a "major inflammatory process" aka cellulitis. They wanted to keep me longer for IV antibiotics but my tolerance for long-drawn out procedures diminishes rapidly in proportion to my need to eat. A week's worth of antibiotics and I'll be good to go.

However, the thought of DVT spurred me to action. Since I don't want to fly anymore if I can help it, I left the hospital and promptly purchased a) a hamburger b) a case of beer and c) a Class A RV.

8 months and counting before the official "R" day!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuiloa View Post

However, the thought of DVT spurred me to action. Since I don't want to fly anymore if I can help it, I left the hospital and promptly purchased a) a hamburger b) a case of beer and c) a Class A RV.
Talk about the cost of health care going through the roof!

I'm glad it wasn't serious though.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ow! I don't think cellulitis is "nothing wrong with me" stuff. Good that the docs caught it--and have fun breaking in the RV in the next 8 months.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Since I don't want to fly anymore if I can help it, I left the hospital and promptly purchased a) a hamburger b) a case of beer and c) a Class A RV.
We want details!

Cheese on the burger? Light or real beer? Oh, and what RV did you buy?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

A&W Teen Burger

Molson Canadian

2005 Winnebago Sightseer 32 foot Class A
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A&W Teen Burger

Molson Canadian

2005 Winnebago Sightseer 32 foot Class A
A trifecta!

Enjoy!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Things I learned this summer

The weather this summer was the best that I can recall in 30 years. Sunshine every day; rain after midnight; only 2 hours of rain total in 6 weeks.

Because my mom passed away this past winter, I didn't have to leave the campground for extended visits with her, which meant I had 6 weeks off with no commitments.

So I pretended I was retired. And here's what I learned:

1) I have an almost unlimited capacity for sitting on beaches and doing nothing but reading

2) I have a difficult time in motivating myself to do ANYTHING physical for any length of time (which explains why I had to chop kindling every night for the campfire, instead of stockpiling some)

3) 6 weeks was not enough time to determine if there is, in fact, a maximum limit to the amount of time I can stare at a lake and a bunch of trees before feeling the need for civilisation.

4) I don't mind dirt on my feet or smelling like a campfire.

5) I do mind bugs

6) I am not willing to sacrifice a moment of sunshine and heat in order to go sightseeing..... which is going to be somewhat of a handicap because of the new RV. Guess I'll just plan to drive on rainy days.

7) I don't like dogs. More specifically, I don't like dog owners who sit beside their yapping beasts for hours on end but apparently can't hear them barking, even though everyone else within a half mile can.

8) Same with children. Have 'em if you want them, but control them.

9) Same with bears. A little harder to control but at least you can't say that you're bored when they're on your campsite.

10) I'm soooooo ready to retire!

What did you learn this summer?
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A trifecta!
Enjoy!
Heeeeyyyyy... what RV model did you recently sell?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

None yet. I have a 1998 Jayco Eagle trailer that will be up for sale soon though. It has a better lay-out than the Class A but it's harder to move
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Ow! I don't think cellulitis is "nothing wrong with me" stuff. Good that the docs caught it--and have fun breaking in the RV in the next 8 months.
I agree with Bestwifeever. This could be something serious. Not to scare you, but my late wife had this along with many other problems just before she passed away. Getting blasted with antibiotics in the ER via an IV was the best way to treat it.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote