Son wants to waste money

Do I let him buy or not?

• Yes - it is his money, let him waste it

Votes: 79 92.9%
  • No - you need to teach him about the value of money

Votes: 6 7.1%

• Total voters
Thought I had replied to this, but see that I had not....

Yes, he is a fine boy... straigth As, no drugs, good friends from what I can tell (even though he is very quiet and does not have many)... no girl friend (wife thinks he might be eyeing one, but to reserved to do anything)...

Funny you mention about a $35,000 car... my nephew was about to purchase one a bit higher than that.... while still living at home... sis did not know what to tell him except that if he could afford a car he could afford his own place.... fortunately for her (and IMO for him) the bank shot him down.... his job was not permanant....
It seems that your son does not "want to waste money". He seeks goals that are more valuable to him than his perceived value of the cash. He is following his utility function, like any other human who is at least partly autonomous. You on the other hand perceive that the value of the cash is greater than the value of the phone. But he is the economic actor in this case, not you.

I only had one conflict with my sons. I didn't want them to drink or smoke, but they didn't desire those things anyway. I had no interst in their sex lives, beyond some education about safe sex.

What I did try to prevent, that they wanted to get, was sport bikes like Ninjas. They are both speed crazy, and I have seen too many motorcycle accidents. One of them now gets his fix from a fast car, double black diamond snowboarding, and mountain biking.

The other bought a Carrera and drives on the track.

I am not exactly nuts about any of these things, but they are, and IMO these beat sport bikes as to the chances of staying alive with an intact spinal cord.

So I picked my spots, and feel pretty good about it.

Ha

Similar situation with my 16YO DS. He had a perfectly good Samsung smartphone that I bought for him for birthday or something. He decided he wanted an iPhone 4S midway through the contract on the Samsung. I told him if he could save his money to pay for it he could. He did.

whenever I wanted to spend "my" money on something stupid like electronics or girbaud jeans when I was in high school, my mother and father would tell me that since I had so much money, maybe I should be buying all my clothes and no more lunch money. Of course, I got a few splurges here and there, but it was really easy for them to say, "alright money bags, maybe you should buy your $130 soccer cleats instead of us."

Actually a few years ago I implemented this. I gave the kids (teenagers) a big increase in then allowance. However, they were required to buy their school lunches and their clothes out of the allowance. I did say that they couldn't run around in rags. I found that once they had to pay for their own clothes they were much more careful about what they bought and paid attention to the cost of clothes. They knew that if they were careful on clothes then there was more money for "fun" stuff which was part of the lesson I was trying to teach.

Next time this comes up, perhaps a compromise is in order. Allow them to buy the phone but only after reading The Millionaire Next Door. Maybe son will think twice after that experience. I know that it influenced me. Probably wouldn't have been so geeked all along about LBYM and ER if I didn't save strongly as early as possible in my career. Also understanding these concepts prior to searching for a spouse with similar values can be priceless.

BTW - Don't assume that the kids will outgrow their love of the latest tech gadgets as they age. I have a coworker a year or so older than me (upper 40's) who had to declare personal bankruptcy recently while both spouses were employed without any health crisis that I know of.

They will likely have to work forever at the rate he is going.

But he is the cell phone GoTo guy around here and loves that status (actually he tends to ,for the most part, regurgitate Verizon marketing phrases but it gets him the reputation anyways).

My oldest has been working with me at the rentals this summer earning $7.25/hr. So the first $250 he had went to a long-board (skateboard).... more than his friends spent, beyond his ability .... but I let it go. Now he needs more $$ (so I have a helper)

I don't know. I just feel that for some posting on the thread there is just an assumption that a smartphone has no real function and is only obtained for the status. But, my experience is that for many it really is more like a small computer and is used for a lot of things. Some of the things I use mine for and I see my kids (16 and 18) using it for:

1. Phone
2. Texting
3. Camera
4. Reminders
5. Calendar
6. Surfing the web, sometimes even for school
7. Keeping important documents for easy review such as my son's syllabi in his college courses
8. Taking notes in class (in college)
9. Recording notes (check out AudioNote app)
10. Posting on facebook and other online forums (I have posted here from my phone)
11. Watching videos or Hulu or Netflix
12. Checking and writing email
13. Chatting using Skype so you don't use phone minutes (now that we are on a shared data plan and have unlimited phone minutes this doesn't matter but was very nice before and is nice with someone not in the US)
14. Recording fitness workouts and watch videos of proper form for specific exercises
15. Listen to music
16. Listen to lectures (continuing education in my case)
17. Play games
18. Check the weather
19. Get the news and receive news alerts I've set up
20. Check the stock market
21. Read Kindle books
22. Get a flashlight app and use it as a flashlight
23. Use it as a mobile hotspot for my notebook computer while traveling
24. Use it as a remote for the TV
25. Measure your heart rate
26. Use it as an alarm clock (I no longer have an alarm clock, I just use my phone and I can set multiple alarms for different times on different days)
27. Use it as a timer or stopwatch
28. Keep a task list
29. Keep a shopping list
30. Use it as a GPS and for navigation (my nice Garmin took me to the wrong location once but I opened up the map program on my phone and it quickly straightened me out)
31. Record voice memos of things you want to remember
32. Use Siri to find the nearest restaurant (or whatever)
33. Scan in bar codes at the store for a variety of information that you can get from various apps
34. Keep track of what I eat.
35. Keep track of what I spend.

I could continue, but the point is that I don't think there is any other single device that can do all of those tasks. A feature phone can do a few. A computer can do a lot of them but lacks portability and isn't a cell phone. Even then I don't think I could even take a laptop to the grocery store and reasonably scan in bar codes.

Some of these things may be things that some of us would never do and I'm sure others use their phone for things I don't mention. But if wanted to do those 35 things and you added up the reasonable cost for a cell phone that wasn't a smart phone and then added a computer (even a notebook) it would likely cost more than a smartphone and would lack the portability.

I can understand that not everyone wants one and that is fine. I can even understand that some might want one and not be able to afford it. There could easily be other things that are more necessary. I do think that the smartphone is still something that is optional. However, it is hard for me to really see it as a waste of money.

Last edited:
I don't know. I just feel that for some posting on the thread there is just an assumption that a smartphone has no real function and is only obtained for the status.

That is because the OP said that. Nobody read between the lines.

'I said it is a waste of money to buy a 'smartphone' just to look cool. He said 'it is my money and I do not want to look stupid with an old mans phone'..... just to let you know, I did let him buy an I-Pod with his money, so he does not need it for that purpose....'

Considering that most Americans haven't saved enough in their emergency fund to cover their expenses for 6 months you could be describing a typical 40 year old these days. Doesn't seem like a lot of people are able to tell the difference between "needs" and "wants".

I could continue, but the point is that I don't think there is any other single device that can do all of those tasks. A feature phone can do a few. A computer can do a lot of them but lacks portability and isn't a cell phone. Even then I don't think I could even take a laptop to the grocery store and reasonably scan in bar codes.
Thanks 2 U, I removed my netbook from my carry-on and I'm going with just my (and DW's) smartphone (we leave tonight, for Scotland).

While we are in the "wilds", we probably will not get wi-fi nor cell service, but since our phones have both, we will just chance it with that. Since we traveled in Scotland a few years ago, they might have improved services, but I'm counting on that they did not :cool: ...

The only other thing we used the netbook for is to take a backup and review the photo's we had taken (on an SD card), but we'll just risk it.

Thanks for letting me get through TSA with less "baggage" (I'm looking forward to my "grope" :LOL: )...

Thanks 2 U, I removed my netbook from my carry-on and I'm going with just my (and DW's) smartphone (we leave tonight, for Scotland).

Enjoy the trip! (With a little less baggage)

Texas Proud, I think this is a splendid outcome. It's really important for teenagers to win some arguments with their parents and he stuck with this one. A great lesson for his adult life that if he really wants something, to go after it until he gets it (think of how many people aren't able to argue with authority). It would have been really easy for you to have put your foot down and not let him win this one but you listened to him and respected his point of view (without agreeing with it, also good for him to see), and he can feel proud that he was able to convince you, however unwillingly, to come around.

It's a pretty minor item in the scheme of things, and he sounds like a really great teenager.

I vote to let him do what he wants with his own money. One of the things I learned to do from my Dad, in a negative lesson, was how to give advice. When I would ask my father for advice he would give me advice, which, in looking back, was good advice and right in every single case, but then he'd get angry and hold it against me if I chose not to follow it to the letter. I have since taken the tact of giving advice and then letting go of it.

BTW. some of the most long-lived lessons I ever learned about money were learned during my teens. I still have some of the same feelings about possessions and stuff and cash money that I acquired back then. Most of them are very emotional and I have decided I just can't change that part of me.

Mike D.

Part 2 of this lesson will occur when he drops his phone in the toilet.

We never paid for our daughter's iphone nor her data plan. Nor her second iphone, nor her 3rd iphone, ....

And at age 15, this kid should be paying for all things themselves. You can give an allowance, but what he does with it: clothes, shoes, haircuts, McD's, etc are learning experiences.

LOL! said:
Part 2 of this lesson will occur when he drops his phone in the toilet.

We never paid for our daughter's iphone nor her data plan. Nor her second iphone, nor her 3rd iphone, ....

And at age 15, this kid should be paying for all things themselves. You can give an allowance, but what he does with it: clothes, shoes, haircuts, McD's, etc are learning experiences.

Why did you have to bring that up? That happened to me about 10 years ago and scarred me for life, as it was a public toilet I had to fish it out of. Had like 4 opportunities to catch it while it dropped and bounced around the rim. Couldn't come up with the big catch at the key moment. :(

Enjoy the trip! (With a little less baggage)
Just a follow up.

We took my DW's KindleFire along (bigger screen than a smart phone) and we used our phones as hotspots.

Total data usage during the ten days was 30 minutes. It cost me $200 in data roaming charges. While I was aware of the possible high cost (we turned our data off at the airport, in Newark before we boarded), I was amazed at what the cost really is while out of the country.

Heck, our phone calls to home (every day) only added up to $30 (roaming charges).

OTOH, the idea of any communications access from any remote area simply is amazing - speaking as one who served in Nam, and didn't have any direct communications for a year (that's when letters were still in vogue :angel: )...

Oh yes, the trip was great. While we've been there before, every "reoccurance" is a treat, since something is new. In this case, the heather was in full bloom in the highlands.

I also was fitted for my kilt. Upon wearing it for the first time, the tailor had his three daughters view it (to ensure that it met the "requirements"). One lass (upon checking the stitching and using a mirror to check the undergarment), uttered the comment that she was viewing the "eighth wonder of the world" (drum roll, please :LOL: ).

Last edited:
Just a follow up.

We took my DW's KindleFire along (bigger screen than a smart phone) and we used our phones as hotspots.

Total data usage during the ten days was 30 minutes. It cost me $200 in data roaming charges. While I was aware of the possible high cost (we turned our data off at the airport, in Newark before we boarded), I was amazed at what the cost really is while out of the country.

Sounds like a great trip.

On the data plan, last year when we went to England and still had ATT we were able before we left to be put on an international data plan while we were there. It gave us a small amount of data usage and reduced the amount of overage. We used only a little bit of data, mostly to send some emails and to post a few things on facebook. In the hotel we had Wifi so didn't have a cost for that.

I also was fitted for my kilt. Upon wearing it for the first time, the tailor had his three daughters view it (to ensure that it met the "requirements"). One lass (upon checking the stitching and using a mirror to check the undergarment), uttered the comment that she was viewing the "eighth wonder of the world" (drum roll, please :LOL: ).

Undergarments are worn under a kilt? :confused:

Ask him to wait a month and see if he still wants it. I would then agree to it.

Back
Top Bottom