Songs of 2011 R&R Hall inductees

Darlene Love is one of my favorites. She sang with the Crystals and the Blossoms back in the 60's. Phil Spector and the wall of sound had a lot to do with her success. She is a great talent.

I'd love to see Johnny Maestro from the Crests and the Brooklyn Bridge get in some time soon.

Here's Darlene in 1965

These 3 songs will give you a good idea of her talent.

Darlene Love is one of my favorites...

Mine, too, although I didn't know her name. This profile of Darlene I heard on the radio yesterday was the inspiration for my post.

Darlene Love: A Prominent Star, Born In The Background : NPR

I really like that the R&R HOF stresses quality as judged by peers and the artists' body of work in making their choices.

Anybody have any experiences to share in visiting the hall in Cleveland? I really enjoyed a visit to the small annex in NYC. The feature exhibit at the time was John Lennon. It was outstanding.

I like Alice Cooper. I've always admired the way he's handled his snake.

Anybody have any experiences to share in visiting the hall in Cleveland?

Seeing Jimi's handwritten first draft lyrics to Purple Haze was pretty wild. They mostly sucked, good thing he kept working on them. But it made me laugh, just seemed to make him more human.

Ahh, here's a link - "Purple Haze, Jesus Saves":

Rock Hall Archives | cleveland.com

And his report card from grade school - again just not the stuff you think of when you think of your renegade heroes.

-ERD50

Hey, am I the only Tom Waits lover round here? IMHO, he's up there with the great ones like Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot and Zappa. Unique and crazy good. Anyone? HFWR??

Note to 73ss454: I appreciate your love of the classic 60s girl groups. Right there with you on that one. It's all good babe :flowers:

Hey, am I the only Tom Waits lover round here? IMHO, he's up there with the great ones like Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot and Zappa. Unique and crazy good. Anyone? HFWR??

Note to 73ss454: I appreciate your love of the classic 60s girl groups. Right there with you on that one. It's all good babe :flowers:

Tom is one of the few that can pull off singing into a electronic bullhorn

YouTube - Tom Waits - Chocolate Jesus

Alice Cooper - Bought Love it to Death in High School. Graduated High School to Schools out Forever. Darlene Love is second.

This is one of my favorite songs...this song is on my album I bought when I was in high school. My momma and daddy thought I had lost my mind. :LOL:

Mmm, hmmm....rock on Alice....:smitten:

YouTube - Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels

Attachments

• DSC02288.jpg
    DSC02288.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 148
Tom is one of the few that can pull off singing into a electronic bullhorn

:D:D:D

And then there's this...OMG, his lyrics and images

Neil Diamond, Neil Diamond, then Neil Diamond.

Nope. You ain't out there by yourself. "On the Road to Burma-Shave", "I don't Wanna Grow Up", etc.

The ceremony airs on fuse.tv on March 20th
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction | March 2011

Here's who will be making the induction speeches:

Tom Waits (Neil Young)
Darlene Love (Bette Midler)
Neil Diamond (Paul Simon)
Leon Russell (Elton John)
Dr. John (John Legend)
Alice Cooper (Rob Zombie)

John Legend?? He grew up in Ohio, went to an Ivy League school and his debut album came out in 2004. I don't get it.

The ceremony airs on fuse.tv on March 20th
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction | March 2011

Here's who will be making the induction speeches:

Tom Waits (Neil Young)
Darlene Love (Bette Midler)
Neil Diamond (Paul Simon)
Leon Russell (Elton John)
Dr. John (John Legend)
Alice Cooper (Rob Zombie)

John Legend?? He grew up in Ohio, went to an Ivy League school and his debut album came out in 2004. I don't get it.

Very interesting - thanks! Good choices overall but I do agree with you about John Legend:confused:

I'm thrilled Neil Young will be doing the speech for Tom Waits. Rob Zombie is purrfect for Alice:D

Back
Top Bottom