Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2020, 08:57 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just can't get past the idea of cooking food surrounded in plastic. Everything I've read cautions against heating things up in plastic because the chemicals leach into the food. Are there any alternatives to plastic bags/wraps that would work?
IMHO, the temps used for sous vide are likely too low for this to be an issue, but YMMV...
Right - the water bath is like only 125F for steak. It's not like you are boiling in the plastic, or like in a microwave where the plastic could get higher than boiling (if it is in contact with fat for example). Still might be a cause for concern, but it's not something I'm worried about. But if you still are, then don't.

ETA: But anything waterproof, or say an aluminum foil wrap between the meat and the plastic should help.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Doesn't appeal to me either.

I can cook a terrific steak on the gas grill or roasted in a cast iron pan in the oven. Get a lovely Maillard reaction - beautiful outside, perfectly done rare/medium rare inside. Use the pan drippings with a little cognac to make a sauce or sauté mushrooms while the steaks rest.

I like grilling, roasting, smoking and instant pot for some items. Sauté as well of course.
Yes, but the sous-vide or reverse sear can be more predictable. Not necessary, and if you have a process down that works for you, you are set. I'm not saying you are missing out, but I do prefer the reverse sear method. I haven't tried sous-vide on anything other than steak and rack of lamb, and now that I like the slow oven method for steak, I may try that on rack of lamb next time.

Not sure what else I would sous-vide then. I can't see using it for asparagus, that's so easy to micro-wave or saute (I prefer saute).

In an odd Bizzaro-world way, I've used my beer brewing equipment to sous-vide with, and I'm considering getting a sous-vide cooker to assist in making beer (it helps to keep consistent mash temperatures as you soak the grain for about an hour at about 150F)!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just can't get past the idea of cooking food surrounded in plastic. Everything I've read cautions against heating things up in plastic because the chemicals leach into the food. Are there any alternatives to plastic bags/wraps that would work?
We use this:

https://shop.anovaculinary.com/en-us...e-silicone-bag

Not plastic, silicone. Works great for a couple people. Again you are cooking at low temperatures, chicken from 140°-165°, steak at 120°-130°. Some literature says 158°f is the top for ziploc bags. I've seen mason jars for certain types of foods, mostly desserts.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:19 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

My first and last sous vide;

Looks good eh? I think I did 45 minutes at 125 followed by a flame job with a torch. It tasted like a picture of a perfect steak. No flavor. It would have been better pan fried or oven broiled let alone charcoal (my fav) so I gave it up.

I've got much better tools here for steaks;

RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, but the sous-vide or reverse sear can be more predictable. Not necessary, and if you have a process down that works for you, you are set. I'm not saying you are missing out, but I do prefer the reverse sear method. I haven't tried sous-vide on anything other than steak and rack of lamb, and now that I like the slow oven method for steak, I may try that on rack of lamb next time.

Not sure what else I would sous-vide then. I can't see using it for asparagus, that's so easy to micro-wave or saute (I prefer saute).

In an odd Bizzaro-world way, I've used my beer brewing equipment to sous-vide with, and I'm considering getting a sous-vide cooker to assist in making beer (it helps to keep consistent mash temperatures as you soak the grain for about an hour at about 150F)!

-ERD50
I have used reverse sear on the gas grill after smoking a tri-tip or cowboy ribeye in my Traeger. But that’s been my only application of reverse sear - after smoking something that is normally grilled. Works well but you gotta be quick and really pay attention.

Rack of lamb - that’s so quick and easy to roast or grill.

My remote thermometers, Thermapen and I guess experience seem to get me the consistent results I want.
Old 01-26-2020, 06:24 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I love our sous vide for lean proteins that can easily overcook - it makes a phenomenal chicken breast, and if you cook it to 150 or so, you're actually pasteurizing it*. I've had vacuum sealed cooked breasts last for several weeks in the fridge, which is a little scary.

Shrimp and lobster are both crazy good, never ever rubbery. I've also pasteurized eggs that I later used for french silk pie.

When we do venison steaks for friends, we pull some of the big roasts, slice them into 1.5" thick slices, marinate, and sous vide, finishing on the grill usually. Again, since venison is so lean, the sous vide works really well.

I haven't tried doing a pork butt yet, though I mean to. I've also heard that bacon cooked in the sous vide and finished on the stove is magical, but I want to do a side-by-side comparison with pan-fried and oven-baked to see if it really makes a difference. Oh darn, gotta cook up a bunch of bacon.

*Pasteurization is a function of time and temperature, and I'm too lazy right now to find the exact time/temp I used.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:52 AM   #27

I've been using sous vide since 2011 and think it's a great alternative in many cases. There's a reason it's used so much in restaurants.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
My first and last sous vide;

Looks good eh? I think I did 45 minutes at 125 followed by a flame job with a torch. It tasted like a picture of a perfect steak. No flavor. It would have been better pan fried or oven broiled let alone charcoal (my fav) so I gave it up.

I chuckled out loud over that comment!
Old 01-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been using sous vide since 2011 and think it's a great alternative in many cases. There's a reason it's used so much in restaurants.
That's what made me a believer. Had a cheap luncheon steak at a steakhouse that used sous vide. 9.99 steak, potato, and a salad, best steak ever.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #30

I do Sous Vide on the cheap. I use a crock pot set on high plugged into a digital temperature controller. The temp probe goes in the water. Works great IMO. A few weeks ago I cooked a skirt steak for >6 hrs then pan seared it on the stove. The flavor was terrific and it was fairly tender. I might try cooking it a bit longer the next time. From what I read, some people cook a skirt steak up to 24 hrs. The longer it cooks, the more it tenderizes.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I can certainly understand why it’s used in restaurants as it can help with the staging/flow when you are cooking for large numbers of people. But that doesn’t really apply to my kitchen.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I have found that with sous vide I get more consistent results. The method is very tolerant. It does not matter much if you leave the meat in for 3 hours or 4 hours.

Cooking on the grill is more critical. If the cut is not an even slab of steak, the thinner part may be overcooked, while the thick part is too rare. And yes, I always stand ready with a Thermapen to take temperature periodically.

I don't see much difference in flavor, in contrast with what Robbieb said. That said, I still alternate between sous vide and grill.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

My go to for fish is steaming via parchment paper wrap and baking in my small convection toaster oven. Never fails, soft, flaky fish every time.
We use the Traeger grill, Instant pot, or cast iron skillet for all other meats.
I rarely use my big wall oven anymore.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have found that with sous vide I get more consistent results. The method is very tolerant. It does not matter much if you leave the meat in for 3 hours or 4 hours.

Cooking on the grill is more critical. If the cut is not an even slab of steak, the thinner part may be overcooked, while the thick part is too rare. And yes, I always stand ready with a Thermapen to take temperature periodically.

I don't see much difference in flavor, in contrast with what Robbieb said. That said, I still alternate between sous vide and grill.
Yes, I am totally present when anything is on the grill with direct high heat. I don’t mind as it doesn’t take very long.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
IMHO, the temps used for sous vide are likely too low for this to be an issue, but YMMV...
Thanks- and thanks also to those who suggested alternatives to plastic. I'm not a big meat eater (although I'm sure there are good vegetable recipes) and not into having a lot of specialized kitchen appliances but at least I'll feel better about trying sous vide foods away from home!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
My go to for fish is steaming via parchment paper wrap and baking in my small convection toaster oven. Never fails, soft, flaky fish every time.
We use the Traeger grill, Instant pot, or cast iron skillet for all other meats.
I rarely use my big wall oven anymore.
It’s been a while since I did parchment, but yes the fish and veggies always come out great. My favorite for salmon is oven roasting. I simply slather the large fillet with pesto butter. Sometimes I slice it first - depending on the shape. Comes out awesome.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:18 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

A big sirloin roast at 130F for 10-12 hours. It would be a hit and miss if I used my oven, as the size of the roast/particular cattle would change the doneness and tenderness.

As for salmon, Atlantic salmon is easy as it's more fatty, but wild salmon like sokeye salmon is hard as it has much less fat gets dry quickly, so it's either I eat the middle very rare, or use my sous vide.

Honestly, I don't use my sous vide much anymore. I used it often when I used to buy 1/4 grass-fed beef as the grassfed had so little fat that I couldn't cook any other way to keep the meat juicy/tender enough.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:30 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

My local meat market seasons and air seals steaks for us for Sous Vide'ing. Life does't really get much easier than this.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I did Sous vide once after buying several steaks in a package. The first ones I cooked was rather tough so I decided to SV it using an old lunch cooler and my cooking thermometer. It required a lot of close monitoring, but I have to admit the tough steaks turned out quite eatable. I just don't eat enough steak to make getting the gadget sensible.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #40

I recently made a sous vide pork chasu using a pork tenderloin. My marinade was made with soy sauce, sake, mirin, kombu, Chinese scallion, garlic and ginger. After heating and cooling the marinade, I strained the solids out and poured the marinade in a vacuum sealed bag with the pork loin. The sous vide result was really nice, moist, well-flavored. I would thin-slice it for garnishing my ramen, or add to stir-fry, or even slice it for an entree.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote