Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-27-2020, 07:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
But... doesn't aluminum cause Alzheimer's? [emoji79]

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a Traeger smoker and a Weber gas BBQ. We used to have a Weber charcoal grill. I have ruined many good cuts on all of these. Never got the knack.

Bought a simple sous vide heater and accessories. Perfect results every time (up to that point). I use the displacement method but planning to go to the vacuum sealer (for other uses as well).

For searing, tried the Weber, tried a $75 propane torch attachment and finally searing in a very hot pan on our natural gas stovetop in butter. Only the last gave good results (and lots of smoke in the kitchen).

I found a very interesting channel on YouTube: Sous Vide Everything, by 3 Brazillians (who REALLY know meat). They have been running A vs B vs C taste tests for a couple of years now. Really good info! (They bought the hype about the propane torch but bagged it and went back to pan searing.)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:49 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

That’s funny, I also have a Traeger and a Weber gas grill, and I’m a vigilante with my temperature probes and have my thermapen ready as critical temps approach. As a result it’s extremely rare for me to have overcooked meat.
Old 01-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #64

I just bought the Anova Nano, came yesterday. I’m looking forward to trying it with some prime steaks I dry aged myself.

If you haven’t already, look up Sous Vide Everything on YouTube. This guy (calls himself Gaga) has a lot of videos on Sous vide, that can help you get it right the first time, and avoid some potentially bad stuff.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I use thisfor beef, pork , bird.. never fails to be perfect. https://meater.com/
Old 01-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did a 2.1lb chateaubriand in the sous-vide yesterday, had been wet-aging in the fridge for a few days, had salt and pepper on it for 24 hours. Finished on my cast iron grill plate on the stove, nice criss cross sear on both sides. It's all tradeoffs. My preferred cooking medium in my barrel grill with hardwood charcoal, which is great for getting maillard reactions in the surface for flavor development, but comes at the cost of greater cooking of the outside of the steak as the inside gets up to temperature. Sous-vide + drying it off + finishing on high heat, preferably a smokey grill, is great, but there is a definite taste vs texture trade off. I too make extensive use of my thermapen in hitting the exact desired temperatures, regardless of if the sous-vide is involved. They always come out fantastic, it's just a question of which balance of features the cooking method delivers.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #67

A lot of people report very low sous vide temperatures. You might be playing with food poisoning if you go too low. Someone two pages back wrote about using the reverse sear method at 110 degrees-that's a Petri dish and it's too low.

I use my sous vide machine at least 2x/week. I have an Anova and an acrylic box with a cut out for the sous vide machine, along wit a rack.

Douglas Baldwin discusses temperature and time with sous vide very extensively. You have to cook different meats at different temperatures. His website is detailed and goes into the science of food safety as well. It is an invaluable resource.

https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

I've tried pork chops and it doesn't work for me. Steak, beef roast, and pork tenderloin work beautifully. I've made a beef roast a couple of times. Thinly sliced roast beef leftovers are amazing in beef stroganoff and curry. Amazing texture and flavor. Also, sous vide can be used to make yogurt. I use mason jars for yogurt. I pasteurize eggs and use them to make homemade mayonnaise with healthy monounsaturated oils.

Regarding use of plastics-I would not cook vegetables sous vide, because it takes higher temperatures. Foodsaver bags are BPA free and well constructed. Compared to microwaving with plastic, it is most likely much safer.

Another good thing about sous vide: Low temperature cooking of meat results in lower levels of carcinogenic heterocyclic amines produces with high temperature cooking for longer times.

Last, when you are done cooking, you can dump the water with dish soap into the sink and wash your dishes with the clean hot water.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:28 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a su vee machine off ebay for a little over $100. I use the water displacement and season in bag for chicken and ahead of time for steak.

Works good on those thick Costco steaks with a high temp finish.

Chicken breasts are the juiciest ever and we really like it for that. Looking forward to trying a roast.
Beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:31 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I went all the way to the end for this. The best way to use a sous vid is for tough cuts and eggs. A 63 degree egg is something to experience. Thick viscous yoke with a white that is hard to explain. You can change the degrees with wildly different and enjoyable results.
72 hour short ribs are my favorite. Also chuck roast becomes something totally different when cooked at low temperature for a long time.
Stephen
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

163 degree egg?
Old 01-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #71

DW made a Ribeye steak for us yesterday. It was an inch and a half thick and she did it for 3 hours at 130 degrees.
Since there are only 2 of us, she uses a big pot that will hold the sous vide and the meat.
She then finished the steak out on "Wilma" the 12,000 BTU searing burner on our BBQ. Delicious!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:49 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

63 degrees Celsius ~ 145.4 degrees Fahrenheit
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbst View Post
63 degrees Celsius ~ 145.4 degrees Fahrenheit
OK - thanks.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

We use ours quite a bit, Filet and Chicken breast mostly, but I have also made Pots De Creme several time with rave reviews. I have an Anova and the Anova App works well too.
Rdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Seems like there are a lot of different cooking fads, especially trying to automate or dummy-proof certain dishes.

Besides sous-vide, there are instapots and crock pots to control with apps

Then I saw a commercial for the Ninja Foodi Grill and it has high review ratings on Amazon.

So who's tried all these?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 06:53 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Just listening to DW clean up the dinner mess her only task. Sous vide filets at 130°F the bottom of the medium rare range. Interesting experiment as that is a bit rare looking for her, a little done done for my taste. However she ate the whole thing and won't commit to adding a degree for her liking, saying it's a great taste and texture. I'm subtracting a degree from mine next time unless it's a rib eye. A rib eye might be okay at 130 as the fat ends up as an incredible, almost sinful, experience.

Hardware: Anova Precision Cooker, a reusable 20 dollar silicon cooking bag. I use the instant pot's pot for cooking. Largest thing I've cooked was a pork shoulder about 5 pounds. Took 22 hours and slid apart, I took the fat and....
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:09 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Pasteurizing eggs: OK, you guys may have helped me find my killer app. I make a lot of mayo.

And you don’t have to put the eggs in a bag .... even better!

It will take quite a bit longer than my current method, but if I do several at once, maybe that’s OK.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:31 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Pssst....
I am gonna let y'all in on a little secret. Sous vide bacon....

Toss an unopened vacuum-sealed package of bacon in your sous vide water bath at 145F for at least 12 hours, but don't exceed a couple of days. Strongly recommend using the largest package of bacon (like warehouse club size) you can buy.

After the sous vide cooking is done, take the bacon out of the sous vide bath and let the bacon cool to room temp. If you open the package and try to separate the bacon slices while still warm, it will just fall apart.

Lay individual slices out on a cookie sheet (I like to use aluminum foil to reduce clean up time) and cook in oven at 350F for 20minutes.

Crispy to bite, yet delightfully tender and melts in your mouth. Absolutely sinful, yet keto friendly.
DrBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote
Authoritative source
Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 PM   #79
Dryer sheet aficionado

Authoritative source

Sous vide is, IMHO, another tool that you can use for certain food preparation tasks, but, just like a smoker or even a charcoal grill, you need to understand the tool, and it’s strengths and weaknesses. Douglas Baldwin has a really informative website and book (A Practical Guide to Sous Vide Cooking) where you can study the tool and why and how it is used, if you wish. Otherwise, use some of his recipes, or some of the other web sites that are reputable.

I’ve never had flavorless food prepared sous vide. You can season it in the bag, and I do, sometimes with spectacular effect... sometimes not.

Sous vide does low and slow like a smoker, but lower and slower. So you use it for tasks that thrive on it... meat cooked at lower temperatures than FDA recommended temps, but for a long enough time to do the same “pasteurization”, and then finished for the Maillard reaction without overcooking.

I highly recommend adding Sous Vide to your toolbox. You’re retired, you have the time to learn something new!
BasketCase24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:44 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

I have had a sous vide setup for over a year now. It is not difficult and accessories can add up. I have a large 12 liter bath, a Stick heater (actually 2), and a nice stainless rack that holds the food bags underwater. I also have a vacuum sealer.

Generally, I limit its use to steaks where I see the best performance. Living in Hungary our meat is all from free range cattle so is lean and very tough. I man really tough to the point of being inedible. We also get a lot of wild game available as hunters here cannot keep their kills which become state property and are sold to restaurants and stores. Hunting is legal as is gun ownership but very tightly controlled. That is another completely separate post.

Anyway, to the point. Sous vide renders the meat making it much more tender. Steaks are now edible again and very tasty. For good cuts I generally cook 3 hours at 57 degrees. Forcuts I suspect will be tough, I buy a pineapple and cut out the good parts. The side inedible sides and top I put in a blender and make a pineapple soup. I marinade the meat in this for 2 hours at room temperature and this really teenderizes. More than 2 hours and it falls apart.

The other things here is you generally get your meat direct from the butcher and as an example the rib eyes are going to be a big slab which when cut can yield 10 or more steaks. What I do is buy the slab and cut it myself at home. I then bag them in vacuum sealed bags with salt and pepper and cook all of them together at once. I then freeze the cooked steaks. To eat them you put them in a 57 degree sous vide again for 1 hour (or until they are warmed back to 57 degrees and then fry them quickly. I use a non-stick pan and cook them in butter for about 3 minutes using a spoon to constantly ladle the hot butter over the top so I get a consistent char.You can put a sprig of rosemary in the hot butter for flavor. The key is to have it really hot and turn frequently. They come out wonderful.

Lastly, I bag up leftovers and seal them. I can then freeze them down okay for later consumption. We have a bad tendency to cook too much and get tired of leftovers. My wife makes things like Russian stuffed cabbage rolls (or stuffed grape leaves, or stuffed peppers) and makes about 20 of them at a time. Two are more than enough per person (they are big) so we get a lot of leftovers. So, I simply vacuum bag them up 4 to a bag and freeze them down. To reheat you put them in the Sous Vide cooker at 70 degrees for 1 hour (or less) and it is even better than fresh. This works for anything and has rescued our leftover meals. It does require a lot of freezer space and a marker pen for labeling. This is so far the main benefit of Sous vide and rarely mentioned.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote