Join Early Retirement Today

South Texas drought?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

South Texas drought?

US Drought Monitor

Anyone live in South Texas? Is it really as dry as the Drought Monitor map implies?
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I do. It is.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that.

I love a nice torrential rain now and then (if it doesn't cause flooding). Cleans everything, makes the vegetation become green and lush, and I love the sound of a good heavy rain on the roof. And the birds just love it afterwards when they frolic and chirp on a wet lawn.

I think that what I will miss the most about New Orleans is the average 60" of rain each year (Missouri has much less). I won't miss the tropical storms and hurricanes, though, so maybe the non-tropical rainfall is at a similar level.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will gladly trade you texans some of the rain we have been getting the past couple springs.

In the last 3 weeks, we have had the following:

April 25 and 26th; 6 inch rainfall

May 9th: 3 inch rainfall

May 13th; 1.5 inch rainfall.

We have gotten so much precipitation in the past 12 months that the Great Lakes as a whole have added TWO FEET of water in that time.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We're just far enough north that the good rains we had in March and April have dropped my county from D4 to D2 on this map in the last couple of months. Farther south (out in REW's neck of the woods a bit south of here) it has been considerably worse and they didn't get as much of the drenching rains as we had a little farther north. (On one day in mid-March we received 4" of rain here. That kickstarted what was otherwise going to be a terrible wildflower season here and made it fairly decent.)

Having said that, high pressure has dominated again for the last 2-3 weeks and we seem to be back in the same dry pattern as before March.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
On one day in mid-March we received 4" of rain here.
What a difference 100 miles makes.

We've had less than 5" of rain so far this year. Tack that on to 2008 when we had less than 14" for the entire year (the average is 33"). Trees are dying and the cacti are thriving.

Yeah, it really is a dry heat...
Old 05-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #7

Yeah, we took a trip down south Texas (Rockport, Brownsville, South Padre, McAllen) this winter. Gawd, it looks awful. Of course, we had our drought here in North Texas, but thank goodness it's been raining this spring. I believe that officially we are out of the drought. Wonder if that means we can water our lawns anytime and as much as we like. Probably not.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Corpus Christi, smack in the middle of the D4 conditions. The drought is so bad that the seed the farmers put in the ground did not even sprout. I don't want to under estimate but I think our total rainfall here for the year is about 2 inches. We usually get 3.5 inches in may and so far it is zero. There was also a big zero last month. Our entire place is one dry, cracked expanse of rock hard dirt. Even the sunflower weeds are not growing on the roadsides. We even had to water the mesquite trees! The brown expanse is depressing.
We drove up to Houston last weekend and the conditions improve quite a bit just an hour north of here. I actually saw a few wildflowers up that way. My 91 year old grandma says she has only seen it dryer than this twice in her recollection.
We broke temperature records 4 out of the last 7 days. There is a cool front coming down now and they are all forecasting "some likely rain" but not everywhere and not much.....
Wish us luck!
2fer
Old 05-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #9

We drove through central Texas last month. Happen to catch the monsoon. Holy cow never seen it rain so hard. People were off the road. Went to look at blue bonnets and wild flowers around Fredericksburgh. They didn't seem too plentiful. Locals mentioned how dry it has been.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:22 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
We drove through central Texas last month. Happen to catch the monsoon. Holy cow never seen it rain so hard. People were off the road. Went to look at blue bonnets and wild flowers around Fredericksburgh. They didn't seem too plentiful. Locals mentioned how dry it has been.
Wildflower season around here starts in about late March/early April and goes through about the end of May, sometimes a little into June.

It got off to a really slow start this year, but 3-4 weeks after we had that soaking rain come through here in the middle of March, the bluebonnets finally started popping up.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #11

This is what my front yard looked like two years ago following a wet winter:

This is what my front yard looks like today:

Old 05-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wow, even the Mexican Primrose is dead...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

REWahoo, what a change for the worse!! I hope your drought ends soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

65 and raining all morning here. Looks like it's heading south toward REW's neighborhood. Hopefully they'll get hit -- as much as we need this rain, they need it even more.

After a couple of weeks mostly in the 90s, I'm opening all the windows and enjoying the cool temps. Oh, and enjoying listening to the rain.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #15

Supposed to be 106 here tomorrow in California. Hope my ac holds out
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
65 and raining all morning here. Looks like it's heading south toward REW's neighborhood. Hopefully they'll get hit -- as much as we need this rain, they need it even more.
The line of storms split as they approached my house, par for the course of late. We got only a sprinkle...
Old 05-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I do. It is.
What he said...but it's raining now...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I wish I could send some of our rain to you Wahoo...

We're just downright soppy.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is what my front yard looked like two years ago following a wet winter:

This is what my front yard looks like today:

Yeah, but that bush at the base of the guy wires looks like a yapping poodle. That make you feel better?
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

News Flash!!!

It is raining!!! It is raining!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!